sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 16, 2016 10:56 pm  #1

The Next Big Cable Change Is Only Weeks Away. Where Are The Prices?

It’s just over two weeks until “true” a la carte pick and pay becomes the latest way to choose what channels you want, without bundling anything. (The CRTC ordered it to start in December.) I know the Big Three have been forced to offer a $25 starter basic that almost no one uses, but has anyone seen the prices for the stand-alones?

I’m curious to find out just how big the gouge will be and whether the American networks will make good on their threats to cut off Canadian cable outlets over their anger about the new scheme, since bundling is integral to how they keep the stations afloat down south. (It's never going to happen, of course, but they did threaten it.)

I’m also wondering how soon we’ll know which of the Canadian offerings will inevitably go dark. (Seriously, is anyone going to miss Book Television?) And finally whether any SOWNY-ites plan to take advantage of the changes when they become available.

The starter packages have predictably been a failure, offering almost nothing of interest. I’m guessing the cable titans will also find a way to make this next step so expensive, it will become a useless exercise, foiling the CRTC’s plans to try and supposedly help the consumer. Either way, December should be an interesting month.

Meanwhile, back in CRTC-land, there's been an outburst from the man in charge:

CRTC head Blais defends his record, critiques shutdown of Shomi

November 17, 2016 12:03 am  #2

Re: The Next Big Cable Change Is Only Weeks Away. Where Are The Prices?

I always wondered, if Canada is one tenth of the population of the USA, how can we afford roughly the same number of cable specialty channels?

November 17, 2016 12:53 am  #3

If Blais wants to defend himself he better buy an industrial strength goalie's jock and wear it 24/7.  I'd stand in line to hoof him in the pills...and then go and line up again.  [just to make sure he got the 'point'.]

As for Bell and Rogers and those clowns?  I'd don the steel-capped WORK boots for them.  They just keep getting away with 'murder' and they deserve some especially significant beatings...with sticks...with nails in 'em.  That Blais allows this shyte to continue robs him of ANY chance at being credible.  EVER.

Put me in charge of that little crtc glee club and things'd change in a New York second.  [or faster.]

November 17, 2016 8:06 am  #4

I was wondering about the pricing for "a la carte" too.  I've downgraded to the Roger's Select package (just above Basic) and there are two channels I would like to add if the price is right.  If Bell uses the same strategy as their Basic service, channel pricing will start at $99.99 per channel - "there, we did it, CRTC!"

As for Rogers, it has a lot of inertia but I think it is on a long slope downward.  Shomi, Crave and Netflix ARE the future of TV.  I am not sure why they wouldn't have bought out Shaw's interest and continued with the product.  But then I don't understand why they cancelled their TV news channel or why they continually give away Texture or Rogers Gamecentre to customers for years on end.  I guess my point here is seize opportunities to re-use content (Shomi and CityNews Channel) and stop giving away original content (Texture and Gamecentre) and ultimately let it stand on its own.  I guess that's why I am not a media executive.

Last edited by Leslieville Bill (November 17, 2016 8:17 am)

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

November 17, 2016 8:53 pm  #5

Proof that great minds think alike, or - as Alfred E. Newman once observed - small minds run in the same gutter, comes this article published in the Star, just one day after this thread was posted. 

Pick and pay CRTC reforms arrive Dec. 1

Last edited by RadioActive (November 17, 2016 8:53 pm)