sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 23, 2023 7:56 pm  #1

When Canadians Own American Radio Stations

We all remember last February when Jon Pole's MyFM took over a New York state broadcaster in order to reach the Kingston market. (You may recall the publicity he got by stunting with The Pole 102.7 FM, a supposed radio station filled with strippers as hosts.) 

Now another Canuck is looking to take advantage of already relaxed FCC rules and buy a station in Seattle, which he's been involved with for many years, continuing the Punjabi language programming it's been running for a long time. Pending government approval, Sukhdev Dhillion will soon control KNTS-FM. He also has an interest in two other stations across the border, including at least one that broadcasts into B.C.

WTOR, Youngstown, N.Y. at 770 AM, is owned by U.S.-based Birach Broadcasting, but essentially is aimed at various ethnic communities here in Southern Ontario on a lease time agreement. (The "TOR" in its call letters actually stands for Toronto.) The woman who really runs the place, Arifa Muzaffar, is based in Mississauga and most of the programming is produced in studios there and then broadcast across the border back to the G.T.A. But she doesn't actually own the station. 

I know that Canada doesn't allow foreign ownership of its broadcast properties here. But are there other Canadians who own U.S. radio stations? This kind of thing would never have been allowed in the old days and it seems to me it's still pretty unusual. I find it surprising the American government would allow any of its broadcast properties to be owned by foreigners. But I suppose down south, almost anything is for sale. 

Canadian Broadcaster Asks FCC For Clearance To Buy Seattle AM

October 24, 2023 1:33 pm  #2

Re: When Canadians Own American Radio Stations

Has the WYLK purchase been officially approved by the FCC?  I read back in May they were considering it but the sale had to also be approved by other departments in the US government since it was a foreign buyer.  The article mentioned that this could take some time to receive approval from about three other departments.  Jon Pole and company have been running WYLK since February of this year.     

October 24, 2023 10:30 pm  #3

IF the FCC denies ownership, the station can still be sold to an American owner with Mr. Pole paying rent 24/7 as there is no FCC regulation/law preventing a Canadian from renting the station.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 24, 2023 10:34 pm  #4

Radiowiz wrote:

IF the FCC denies ownership, the station can still be sold to an American owner with Mr. Pole paying rent 24/7 as there is no FCC regulation/law preventing a Canadian from renting the station.

Which is essentially what Rogers was doing before. If denied I imagine the current ownership structure would remain the same while MBC would to operate is as they have.

December 27, 2023 8:50 am  #5

paterson1 wrote:

Has the WYLK purchase been officially approved by the FCC?  I read back in May they were considering it but the sale had to also be approved by other departments in the US government since it was a foreign buyer.  The article mentioned that this could take some time to receive approval from about three other departments.  Jon Pole and company have been running WYLK since February of this year.     

Your question has finally been answered. And for the first time in history, a Canadian company now owns an American radio station. It comes after the FCC approved the transfer. The cost for WLYK? Only $325,000.

"Under the structure of the pending deal, Border International Broadcasting would be controlled by a pair of trusts led by veteran Canadian broadcasters Andrew Dickson and Jon Pole, and their wives. Each are Canadian citizens.

"Based on what Pole and Dickson say is their experience operating radio stations in Canada – they already own stations in Gananoque and Nappanee, Ontario – they told the FCC 
earlier this year
 that they have a good understanding of what their obligations are to serve a local community.

"They also made the case that the combination of their broadcasting expertise and the infusion of capital that would result from the proposed transaction will allow Border International Broadcasting to continue operations of WLYK and allow it to add local news programming and music to the listeners in the Watertown area."

OK, I have some questions about that last paragraph. They bought the station to service Kingston, not Watertown. But the FCC bought that promise?

Historic Move: FCC Approves Ownership of U.S. Station by Canadian Broadcasters

December 27, 2023 10:38 am  #6

I just noticed their logo on the station's website, which, by the way, is "kingstondaily.ca." 

How did the FCC buy that they were going to serve Watertown, N.Y.?

December 27, 2023 11:55 am  #7

RadioActive wrote:

I just noticed their logo on the station's website, which, by the way, is "kingstondaily.ca." 

How did the FCC buy that they were going to serve Watertown, N.Y.?

Unlike the CRTC I don't think the FCC particularily cares who the station caters to. Around 2004 I recall a station in New York state near the border that tried to get a foot hood into the Ottawa market. They targeted then classic rock CHEZ with a better mix of music (in my opinion) and no forced Cancon which they proudly declared. I think they did an admirable job; Ottawa traffic, weather a fair amount of local news and they were able to get several local ads. It was a great run while it lasted for a year or so. Ultimately they gave up. While they experienced some limited success what did them in was the strength of their signal. It was a 50 kw FM 50 miles south of Ottawa. Given the geography the signal into the city was decent and easy to pick up in a vehicle but did not have the penetrating power of a local signal to get into offices and homes. When in Ottawa I stayed in a hotel and I could not pick the station up on the cheap clock radio in the room. This would preclude an audience in most buildings.
To improve the signal they really needed an additional 50kw of power and a higher antenna, something that was probably technically possible.

Last edited by darcyh (December 27, 2023 11:58 am)

December 27, 2023 12:09 pm  #8

I'm not a expert on this in any way, obviously, but according to the announcement in the article, Pole and Co. promise to introduce newscasts and to serve the Watertown community. But clearly, they have no interest in Watertown or any place in New York state, judging by the way they're promoting the FM as a Kingston station.

Does that not matter to the FCC? Maybe not, because, as you say, they don't operate the same way as the CRTC does. 

The only thing I can think of locally that comes close to this is WTOR, which is based in Youngstown, N.Y., but broadcasts directly to the ethnic communities in the GTA. But they're not owned by Canadians. (I think there's one like this in Washington State, too, that's aimed at B.C. But again, an American owner.)

I wonder if this is the start of powerful-enough border stations being purchased by Canucks to broadcast back into Canada. Wish they'd had this precedent before WTSS-FM in Buffalo was sold! Who knows what might have been? FM frequencies are all taken up in this area. Imagine if a deep-pocketed Canadian company could have obtained this super-powered outlet that comes in perfectly here. 

Do you think the CRTC might object to an American station openly competing for Canadian ears without the requirements and rules owners here have to abide by? Could they even do anything about it? There were a lot of objections from Canuck owners when Rock 102 was stealing listeners on this side of the border. 

December 27, 2023 12:12 pm  #9

RadioActive wrote:

OK, I have some questions about that last paragraph. They bought the station to service Kingston, not Watertown. But the FCC bought that promise?

Historic Move: FCC Approves Ownership of U.S. Station by Canadian Broadcasters

There's that word "promise" again. They didn't promise anything,

What funny, too, is that Watertown isn't even in the signal's primary contour:
https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WLYK&service=FM

In fact, it originally signed on to extend the reach of a Watertown station (Magic 103) into Kingston. It's never been anything but a border-blaster.

December 27, 2023 3:05 pm  #10

WYLK (Lake FM) has been on the air in one form or another since 1989 starting as WKGG.  Other than when Rogers managed the station as KISS FM, they have always had the supposed advantage of not having to play any cancon or follow CRTC regs.  But that has never made any difference since success in Kingston has always eluded them.  In fact the transmitter was turned off in 1993 until 1997. 

The current format was also tried back in 2012 when it was known as The Lake 102.7.  One advantage that the new owners do have is the fact they have lots of experience running successful small market radio operations in Southern Ontario.  And WYLK for all intents is a Southern Ontario radio station.  

Agreed, the FCC doesn't care who WYLK is targeting. It was either this or closing down the transmitter again, since Rogers no longer wanted to operate 102.7. 

December 27, 2023 3:11 pm  #11

paterson1 wrote:

But that has never made any difference since success in Kingston has always eluded them. 

The Border as a CHR got great ratings and the frequency had some #1 books as KIX Country.

December 27, 2023 3:12 pm  #12

paterson1 wrote:

since Rogers no longer wanted to operate 102.7. 

Also false.

Rogers had a minority stake, the most a Canadian company is allowed. 

Jon Pole got around that and bought the whole thing out from under Rogers.

December 27, 2023 4:53 pm  #13

If they were doing so well as The Border which lasted 8 years until August 2006, why flip to country? This happened two years after CFMK, a Kingston country station became Joe FM in 2004.   If KIX FM country supposedly made them number one in Kingston why less than two years later would they change format to "Adult Standards" with the music of Tony Bennett and Frank Sinatra?

That is a dramatic change for a number one station to make.  The country format then moved back to Kingston during this time to Country 95.3 where it still exists today, but now has a competitor in town with a Bell Pure Country station.

I read in one of the many articles regarding the ownership change that gave the impression that Rogers was directly involved with engineering the Cape Vincent NY station ownership change.  This was with the hope of one day having 3 owned FM stations in Kingston, rather than owning 2 and operating a small station across the border.  As we know the new CRTC rules would allow them to have 3 Kingston FM licenses. This wouldn't happen if they still programmed and owned shares of WYLK.    https://rbr.com/oh-my-n-y-border-deal-ends-rogers-medias-kingston-trio/

Last edited by paterson1 (December 27, 2023 4:54 pm)

December 27, 2023 5:20 pm  #14

paterson1 wrote:

If they were doing so well as The Border which lasted 8 years until August 2006, why flip to country? This happened two years after CFMK, a Kingston country station became Joe FM in 2004.   

As well as the Border was doing, a lack of a local Country station created a larger opportunity. It took a little time to happen, as control of the station in the meantime moved to Kingston under John Wright, who along with Garry McColeman seized upon that opportunity.

December 27, 2023 5:23 pm  #15

paterson1 wrote:

If KIX FM country supposedly made them number one in Kingston why less than two years later would they change format to "Adult Standards" with the music of Tony Bennett and Frank Sinatra?

Because KIX was doing so well on 102.7, but was risky as they could lose control of the frequency at a moment's notice. So he applied for a proper second local FM to move it to. This presented an opportunity to launch a new format on 102.7 - at Adult Standard as the time made sense to him as CKLC had just abandoned it and he could cheaply run an American satellite standards format.

As for its most receent incarnation as KiSS - it did exactly what Rogers needed it to: Act as a cheap flanker to CFLY to keep CIKR and CKXC's ratings rank positions. In fact, it was sometimes #5 of 7 rated stations. Not bad for something with no local announcers or marketing.

Last edited by RadioAaron (December 27, 2023 5:33 pm)

December 27, 2023 5:24 pm  #16

paterson1 wrote:

This was with the hope of one day having 3 owned FM stations in Kingston, rather than owning 2 and operating a small station across the border.  As we know the new CRTC rules would allow them to have 3 Kingston FM licenses. This wouldn't happen if they still programmed and owned shares of WYLK.    https://rbr.com/oh-my-n-y-border-deal-ends-rogers-medias-kingston-trio/

This makes no sense whatsoever. Programming 102.7 wouldn't stop them from getting a third local FM just as programming 102.7 didn't stop them from getting a second one in the first place.

American media sites often get their Canadian information wrong.

Last edited by RadioAaron (December 27, 2023 5:26 pm)

December 27, 2023 6:30 pm  #17

Stations don't change format if they are number one or have strong ratings.  I am doubtful that WLYK ever had either of these.  Why go dark for over three years?  Why all the format and ownership changes?  Have Kingston retailers actually ever supported the station? Local advertising will make or break them.

Don't follow your last comment.  Programming, managing and owning 25% of WLYK could absolutely prevent them from acquiring a 3rd FM license in Kingston.

Since WLYK was a carbon copy of Rogers other KISS stations competitors like Bell and Corus would view them having 4 FM stations in the market. And Rogers also derived revenue from this station.  Kingston, not being a very large market and the CRTC, who traditionally errors on the side of caution would likely side with Bell and Corus objections and nix a third license. 

Rogers gained control of both Country 93 and K Rock in 2009.  The operational take over and adopting the KISS format with WLYK didn't happen until 2011.  Too late for Bell or Corus to do much about Rogers having "three" FM stations in the market.

This time would be different if Rogers tried for a third license in Kingston and still running KISS in St. Vincent.  The competition would come out guns blazing.  Rogers knows this and that's why they likely were glad to be done with WLYK. 

Last edited by paterson1 (December 27, 2023 6:31 pm)

December 27, 2023 6:52 pm  #18

paterson1 wrote:

Stations don't change format if they are number one or have strong ratings.  I am doubtful that WLYK ever had either of these.   

They didn't change it. They moved it to 93.5. They even simulcast them for a while.

They moved their top performing station to a frequency they would have more long-term control over, and freed up 102.7 to run a format much better suited for a cancon-free frequency.

Last edited by RadioAaron (December 27, 2023 6:59 pm)

December 27, 2023 6:56 pm  #19

paterson1 wrote:

Don't follow your last comment.  Programming, managing and owning 25% of WLYK could absolutely prevent them from acquiring a 3rd FM license in Kingston. 

You've got your history all wrong.

102.7 became Canadian operated under John Wright who owned 105.7. At the time the limit of FMs was 2. He then applied for 93.5, which was granted despite objections from CHUM and CORUS. That brought him to effective control of 3 FMs. The CRTC completely ignored the overwhelming evidence that 102.7 was being operated as a Kingston station as they have no jurisdiction over the frequency.

December 27, 2023 7:13 pm  #20

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

You've got your history all wrong.

102.7 became Canadian operated under John Wright who owned 105.7. At the time the limit of FMs was 2. He then applied for 93.5, which was granted despite objections from CHUM and CORUS. That brought him to effective control of 3 FMs. The CRTC completely ignored the overwhelming evidence that 102.7 was being operated as a Kingston station as they have no jurisdiction over the frequency.

Big difference between John Wright applying for a second license for Kingston and operating the station across the river compared to Rogers trying for a third and still operating WLYK.  Nice that the CRTC sided with Mr. Wright (the little guy) rather than CHUM and Corus.  Likely wouldn't happen with Rogers this time around. 

December 27, 2023 7:22 pm  #21

paterson1 wrote:

Likely wouldn't happen with Rogers this time around. 

Now you're just guessing.

If Rogers were worried about that, they'd hang on until their hearing for their 3rd local FM and promise to relinquish their control if, and only if, it caused a problem.

Anyway, the main point still remaining that a company that controls 20% of a station has no say as to whether the other 80% is sold

Last edited by RadioAaron (December 27, 2023 7:22 pm)

December 28, 2023 12:14 am  #22

paterson1 wrote:

If they were doing so well as The Border which lasted 8 years until August 2006, why flip to country? This happened two years after CFMK, a Kingston country station became Joe FM in 2004.   If KIX FM country supposedly made them number one in Kingston why less than two years later would they change format to "Adult Standards" with the music of Tony Bennett and Frank Sinatra?

That is a dramatic change for a number one station to make.  The country format then moved back to Kingston during this time to Country 95.3 where it still exists today, but now has a competitor in town with a Bell Pure Country station.

I read in one of the many articles regarding the ownership change that gave the impression that Rogers was directly involved with engineering the Cape Vincent NY station ownership change.  This was with the hope of one day having 3 owned FM stations in Kingston, rather than owning 2 and operating a small station across the border.  As we know the new CRTC rules would allow them to have 3 Kingston FM licenses. This wouldn't happen if they still programmed and owned shares of WYLK.    https://rbr.com/oh-my-n-y-border-deal-ends-rogers-medias-kingston-trio/

It actually did do well as the Border in Kingston.  106.7 was the US frequency and 102.7 had a separate feed which ran Canadian commercials and a live to air from a Kingston night club.  The Kingston frequency generated more sales than the Watertown station did for a time.

December 28, 2023 1:32 am  #23

Tomas Barlow wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

It actually did do well as the Border in Kingston.  106.7 was the US frequency and 102.7 had a separate feed which ran Canadian commercials and a live to air from a Kingston night club.  The Kingston frequency generated more sales than the Watertown station did for a time.

If the Border in Kingston at 102.7 was successful it doesn't make sense they flipped to country after only 8 years. The market did have an established country station in Watertown with 97,000 watt Froggy FM that blasts into Kingston.  Froggy came on air in 1997, and still on the air today. 

Hard to understand how WYLK suddenly moving to country as KIX FM could bump off an established 97,000 watt station like Froggy, which must have had a lot of Kingston listeners. So WYLK as KIX country actually became #1 in Kingston.  Only then to drop the format after two years?  Here is Froggy's coverage map. https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WFRY&service=FM

I really don't see how WYLK was ever that successful north of the border over the past 30+ years.  Their best chance is right now with Mr. Pole and company, and I hope they are successful in Kingston and area.  

December 28, 2023 11:58 am  #24

paterson1 wrote:

If they were doing so well as The Border which lasted 8 years until August 2006, why flip to country? 

This was already answered; it's was an obvious bigger opportunity. And that proved to be true.

December 28, 2023 12:00 pm  #25

paterson1 wrote:

So WYLK as KIX country actually became #1 in Kingston.  Only then to drop the format after two years?  Here is Froggy's coverage map. https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WFRY&service=FM

Again, they didn't drop the format, they moved it to a better frequency.

Having a highly rated prodcut on a station you don't actually own is very risky.

Why is it so unbelievable that a station offerning a well executed popular format that nobody was targeting at the local market woud do well? The K-ROCK/KIX combo was incredibly well-run. Even had billboards all over the city marketing their personailites! 

That success followed it to its new frequency - where it is frequently #1, including the the most recent fall book.

These aren't opinions; this is what happened.

Last edited by RadioAaron (December 28, 2023 12:54 pm)

December 28, 2023 1:02 pm  #26

I don't understand the time lines on this at all. Could you confirm the years in question please.  What year was KIX moved to this better new frequency, and which frequency?  Under this better signal did KIX continue to do well in Kingston?  I don't understand this "even better opportunity" when the long time local Kingston country station CFMK dropped the format to something else. 

What did WLYK 102.7 become after they dropped country and simulcasting and what year.   Why wouldn't Froggy FM country out of Waterford be a factor.  They served Kingston as well and were the best established country outlet by far especially after CFMK had dropped country in 2004.  What ratings are you talking about BBM/Numeris?  WYLK playing no cancon and a US owned station was in the Canadian ratings prior to Rogers running the station?  How did this come about?

I understand these aren't opinions but some clearer time lines would be helpful. 

December 28, 2023 1:16 pm  #27

paterson1 wrote:

I don't understand the time lines on this at all. Could you confirm the years in question please.  What year was KIX moved to this better new frequency, and which frequency?  Under this better signal did KIX continue to do well in Kingston?  I don't understand this "even better opportunity" when the long time local Kingston country station CFMK dropped the format to something else. 

KIX moved to 93.5 in 2008. It didn't lose a beat in ratings. It was just #1 in the fall.

The flip of CFMK from Country proved to be a big mistake - but there was a lot of that going on at the time in the rush to launch BOB/Jack/Joe formats.

December 28, 2023 1:17 pm  #28

paterson1 wrote:

What did WLYK 102.7 become after they dropped country and simulcasting and what year.   

January 2009 - Standards as "The Lake"

December 28, 2023 1:18 pm  #29

paterson1 wrote:

IWhy wouldn't Froggy FM country out of Waterford be a factor.  They served Kingston as well and were the best established country outlet by far especially after CFMK had dropped country in 2004.  

Despite their signal, they make no attempt whatsoever to cater to or target the market. They don't participate in ratings or solicit sales.

December 28, 2023 1:19 pm  #30

paterson1 wrote:

What ratings are you talking about BBM/Numeris?  WYLK playing no cancon and a US owned station was in the Canadian ratings prior to Rogers running the station?  How did this come about?

They've participated in Kingston BBM at least since the "Border" days.