sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 22, 2023 11:34 pm  #1

No CTV National News on Sundays?

I've noticed for a few weeks now that therre's no CTV National News on Sunday after the U/S/ football game. They just go right to local news? I wonder what the logic is there?

October 23, 2023 12:05 am  #2

Re: No CTV National News on Sundays?

Perhaps the endless overruns of the NFL running long negates starting the National News well after 11 PM in the Atlantic and Eastern time zones. My question would be for those out west: did you see a CTV national news at 11 PM your time?

October 23, 2023 12:13 am  #3

In Toronto it's
Local news first, then National news immediately after that. 
That's just how Bell chose to do it.
It's great for those who want local news but don't want to be up all hours of the night to catch it. 
They've got work to go to on Monday. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 23, 2023 1:20 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

Perhaps the endless overruns of the NFL running long negates starting the National News well after 11 PM in the Atlantic and Eastern time zones. My question would be for those out west: did you see a CTV national news at 11 PM your time?

CTV National News with Sandie Renaldo is scheduled at 11:00 on CTV Vancouver tonight.

October 23, 2023 3:37 pm  #5

I think it's up to each local station.

I watched the CTV national news with Sandie Rinaldo Sunday night at 10:00 eastern on the CTV news channel.  So, yes, there was a newscast.

Last edited by Peter the K (October 23, 2023 3:38 pm)

October 23, 2023 8:58 pm  #6

I don't think individual stations can make schedule decisions at all.  I've had someone hint at that before.  

October 24, 2023 12:59 am  #7

This only affects CTV stations in the Eastern and Atlantic time zones on Sunday nights when there's NFL football. My guess is that those stations need to run these newscasts before midnight for it to count towards their local programming requirements?

October 24, 2023 12:59 pm  #8

Here in Montreal, when the football game runs long, the local newscast airs first, followed by the national newscast.

Former presenter, producer and commercial writer for CJRS (now CKZW) AM 1650 in Montreal.