sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 14, 2016 12:07 pm  #1

The Simpsons Takes Dig At Trudeau - Without Much Notice

How times have changed. It used to be even the merest mention of anything Canadian on The Simpsons would make national headlines, be replayed on radio newscasts the next morning and generally get huge notice online. But I can’t find a single mention anywhere of the dig at our Prime Minister on last night’s show.

The episode centered on Grandpa Simpson needing special medical treatment, which they couldn’t afford in the U.S. The choice came down to going to Cuba or Canada. But Abe instantly rejected the latter, noting, “I don’t want to go there, now that that Commie Trudeau is in charge!”

I thought it was funny, especially considering the regime still in place in Cuba. But it’s a sign of just how much the once trend setting comedy has worn out its welcome. Still, it’s going to be around for a while yet. A few weeks ago, Fox announced it has picked up the show for another two seasons – bringing it to a record breaking 30 years on prime time TV. No non-news program even comes close to that.

November 14, 2016 4:55 pm  #2

Re: The Simpsons Takes Dig At Trudeau - Without Much Notice

I agree, it didn't feel funny at all to mock Ned Flanders after that. The producers were idiots -- they could've kept trying to recast the voice actress until they found a suitable new talent to carry her role. Instead they stupidly wrote her off the show and basically also killed off Ned as comedy relief from that point on.  Who wants to mock a depressed widower?