sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 16, 2023 3:54 pm  #1

The Man Has A Name FFS

Listening to The Rush on 1010 this afternoon and the hostess was talking about the passing of Suzanne Somers.

The hostess recounted the well known 1980 story of the late actress not having her contract renewed & her eventual departure from the show Three's Company.

The 1010 hostess in question played a clip of Ms. Somers talking about how her husband Toronto native Al Hamel went in for the big kill - asking for a 500 per cent pay increase and a part of the shows residuals but all they got was a kick in the ass and out the door they went. Quite a well known story.

Ms. Somers said at that moment in 1980 her career was over. 

Not once did the hostess of The Rush use the name of Ms. Somers husband. 6 or 7 minutes from start to finish and plenty of references to "the husband" & "her husband" & their attempt to get equal pay etc. etc. but never named. Not once. Brutal. Insulting. Sexist? Or just too lazy to find out how to pronounce it?

I mean what gives???

She ain't the hostess with the mostess

October 16, 2023 4:19 pm  #2

Re: The Man Has A Name FFS

I have no idea why she refused to say the name, but Alan Hamel was well known in Canada before he went to the U.S., with appearances on TV shows like "Razzle Dazzle" on CBC in the early days (as noted in this thread) as well as the host of a daytime CTV talk show, to name two. Perhaps she's too young to remember him or it was deliberate for some reason. 

I agree, she's hard to listen to, which is why I rarely do. Probably the worst of all the CFRB hosts. 

October 16, 2023 4:55 pm  #3

I gave up on 1010 "the Rush" with Reshmi months ago.
Definitely the WORST host!
Uneducated commentaries and opinions everyday.
Moved to 640 and an accomplished, educated host: Mr. John Oakley.

October 16, 2023 7:13 pm  #4

I've never heard of him, and his name is immaterial to the story.

Reshmi is not a good host, but you guys are digging for ammunition at this point.

October 16, 2023 7:50 pm  #5

Laura Babcock is another extreme irritant - and she's on CFRB all the bloody time as a guest.

Take Monday as the perfect example. I believe she was on one of the Roundtables on Moore's show in the morning, again on Reshmi Nair's "Smart Speakers" segment at 4:30 PM in the afternoon and I just heard her endlessly talking almost through a hard out on Jim Richards' Newstalk Tonight at 7:45 PM 

Three times as a guest on the same station on the same day. Either give this woman her own show (which would be a total tune-out) or give it a rest. She's obnoxious and three times in about 12 hours is waaaaaay too much to listen to her repeat herself endlessly on the same topics.

And yes, they are different dayparts, but there certainly must be someone else who would like a turn behind the mic. 

October 16, 2023 8:05 pm  #6

RadioAaron wrote:

I've never heard of him, and his name is immaterial to the story.

Reshmi is not a good host, but you guys are digging for ammunition at this point.

The fact that you have never heard of him is what is immaterial here

Her husband is a Toronto native and was her business manager for decades.

They were a one-two punch.

The hostess out of common courtesy could have & should have acknowledged him IMO. 

I am very curious as to the reason she did not 

October 16, 2023 8:33 pm  #7

In a previous post someone (I honestly can't remember who and am not saying "someone" for effect) referred to The Rush as The Resh which was perfect and punny.

There's only one thing worse than no show prep and that's bad show prep where a host clearly, to use a brilliant British expression, couldn't be arsed to do the minimal work.

Some days when I tune in for a segment or two I'd swear Reshmi is trying to get moved out of the timeslot by any means necessary.

Wonder if anyone at 1010, a co-worker or management said anything to her.

Last edited by betaylored (October 16, 2023 8:35 pm)

October 17, 2023 2:19 am  #8

unclefester wrote:

Listening to The Rush on 1010 this afternoon and the hostess was talking about the passing of Suzanne Somers.

The hostess recounted the well known 1980 story of the late actress not having her contract renewed & her eventual departure from the show Three's Company.

The 1010 hostess in question played a clip of Ms. Somers talking about how her husband Toronto native Al Hamel went in for the big kill - asking for a 500 per cent pay increase and a part of the shows residuals but all they got was a kick in the ass and out the door they went. Quite a well known story.

Not once did the hostess of The Rush use the name of Ms. Somers husband. 6 or 7 minutes from start to finish and plenty of references to "the husband" & "her husband" & their attempt to get equal pay etc. etc. but never named. Not once. Brutal. Insulting. Sexist? Or just too lazy to find out how to pronounce it?

I mean what gives???

That would be like starting a thread about someone without using her name.  Not once. Brutal. Insulting. Sexist? Or just too lazy to find out how to spell it?

I mean what gives???

October 17, 2023 9:08 am  #9

Tomas Barlow wrote:

unclefester wrote:

I mean what gives???

That would be like starting a thread about someone without using her name.  Not once. Brutal. Insulting. Sexist? Or just too lazy to find out how to spell it?

I mean what gives???

Well ain't you the smart one!!

LOL!!

Pretty clear my post was written with intent

But thanks (I guess) for pointing out the obvious  

October 17, 2023 10:50 am  #10

I watched Razzle Dazzle growing up in Vancouver.  Loved it
Alan Hamel is indeed a big name in Canada.
Maybe figured because she's never heard of him he is irrelevant.

October 17, 2023 10:59 am  #11

When Vassy ends, and that awful intro music starts, I Resh to change the station to 640.

October 17, 2023 11:06 am  #12

newsguy1 wrote:

Alan Hamel is indeed a big name in Canada.

So I'm guessing you would disagree with the following statement?

"I've never heard of him, and his name is immaterial to the story"

Ya me too