sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 12, 2023 10:54 pm  #1

Are you serious YouTube?

If you guys like watching TV shows or other stuff on YouTube without those unskippable ads. Then prepare to break open your wallet. Sometime ago if you are using an Ad Block on your browser such as Google Chrome. You get this message saying "Ad Blockers Are Not Allowed On YouTube". If you are still using an Ad Blocker on your browser. Your YouTube account will be suspended along with your Google account too.

https://mashable.com/article/youtube-ad-blockers-notifications 

https://www.theverge.com/2023/10/5/23905605/im-starting-to-see-youtubes-ad-blocker-prompt-are-you 

What do you guys think?

October 12, 2023 11:13 pm  #2

Re: Are you serious YouTube?

It sounds like, for now, it's safe to watch ad blocked videos on YouTube.
Just don't sign in. Updated below: Sign in is now the best route as of Nov 1 2023

Last edited by Radiowiz (November 1, 2023 7:10 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 13, 2023 10:23 am  #3

I think that YouTube is monetizing its situation, which is what they are in business for. Not worth a comment , unless you object to paying for content .

October 13, 2023 1:04 pm  #4

Nothing in life is free.  If you pay for Youtube Premium it also includes their music service so its a bargain in the end. 

October 13, 2023 4:34 pm  #5

markow202 wrote:

Nothing in life is free.  If you pay for Youtube Premium it also includes their music service so its a bargain in the end. 

Caution: After signing up for Youtube Premium, my watching time ballooned four-fold.

It's not just the absence of ads, nor the no-cost bundled Youtube Music Premium they throw in. It's also because of playlist creation and the ability to do other things on the phone (browsing, eMail, etc.) while the minimized Youtube window floats around the screen and keeps playing...unlike without Premium. It's hubdreds of black-screen audiobooks that will play all night, without killing the battery.

If personal finances forced me to keep only one paid service, it wouldn't be Netflix, nor Crave, nor Prime. It would be Youtube Premium.

You've been warned. 😉

October 13, 2023 4:38 pm  #6

markow202 wrote:

Nothing? Go outside in the winter time wearing shorts and a T-shirt.  THE ZING is always free. 

There are tons of music videos on YouTube with ad blocker present already as is.  
Nice to have YouTube for free.

October 15, 2023 3:47 pm  #7

I would buy premium.  But that's when YouTube stops buffering so badly.

October 15, 2023 4:14 pm  #8

John D wrote:

I would buy premium.  But that's when YouTube stops buffering so badly.

For those experiencing buffering, when casting to  a Chromecast dongle, if you have the first iteration of the dongle, you've likely found the reason.

The current Chromecast with Google TV dongle, available on Amazon Canada for $40 (including remote), fixes most buffering when casting.

October 16, 2023 9:21 pm  #9

It looks like they are doing it to users on the Microsoft Edge browser too.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/gadgets-news/google-is-blocking-microsoft-edge-users-from-watching-youtube-videos-heres-why/articleshow/104415510.cms 

Last edited by haydenmatthews14 (October 16, 2023 9:23 pm)

November 1, 2023 2:01 pm  #10

Just an update: Looks like, if I don't sign in, I am blocked for using a blocker.
IF I sign in, (using a gmail address)  it no longer blocks me (with Ad blocker still on)
& I DID NOT pay for YouTube Premium.

Last edited by Radiowiz (November 1, 2023 2:03 pm)

November 1, 2023 2:58 pm  #11

Radiowiz wrote:

Just an update: Looks like, if I don't sign in, I am blocked for using a blocker.
IF I sign in, (using a gmail address)  it no longer blocks me (with Ad blocker still on)

Correct, since it "knows who you are" if you sign-on (with a Gmail address); and you're getting ads from other Google services. You're not just anonymous traffic/an IP that they should serve ads to because they can't relate that to a Google service sign-on which is subsidizing their free offerings anyway. If you're in the ecosystem anyway (and they know that - your sign-on), they can make some revenue elsewise.

November 1, 2023 7:13 pm  #12

AspectRatio wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Correct, since it "knows who you are" if you sign-on (with a Gmail address); and you're getting ads from other Google services. You're not just anonymous traffic/an IP that they should serve ads to because they can't relate that to a Google service sign-on which is subsidizing their free offerings anyway. If you're in the ecosystem anyway (and they know that - your sign-on), they can make some revenue elsewise.

One can set up a fake email (ie brand new) address and still sign in ad free without having to pay the Premium fee.