sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 11, 2023 10:54 am  #1

Where Are The "Jack Dennett" Newspeople When We Need Them?

I know, I know, there's too much "things were better in the old days" here, according to many SOWNY posters.

But when I think of the radio news coverage of the awful events in the Middle East these past few days, I can only wonder what greats like former CFRB newsman and commentator Jack Dennett might have to say about the recent bloodshed overseas.

But we might have a clue. Here's his erudite report on the infamous Munich Massacre at the Olympics in 1972. Listen to not only the great delivery, but also the terrific writing. You won't hear that anywhere on the "let's do everything on the cheap and hire those with no experience" airwaves these days. And I believe listeners are poorer for it. 

CFRB's Jack Dennett on the Munich Massacre, Sept. 1972

October 11, 2023 11:01 am  #2

Re: Where Are The "Jack Dennett" Newspeople When We Need Them?

At the risk of setting off a firestorm here about divisions in our world (and I admit to having second thoughts about putting this up at all), I just saw this and will offer it here without comment. You can decide if you think it's the proper policy. 

Canadian Broadcasting Corporation instructs staff not to refer to Hamas as ‘terrorists’ 

October 11, 2023 11:07 am  #3

Thank you RadioActive for remembering when radio news people were news people   He was the best and the highest rated broadcaster in his time slot.

October 11, 2023 11:08 am  #4

I, too, wonder about that CBC decision.

What I also wonder about is why one of Rupert Murdoch's major newspapers is concerned about truth-telling. Do they have no mirrors at the New York Post?

Last edited by Dial Twister (October 11, 2023 11:09 am)

October 11, 2023 1:09 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

At the risk of setting off a firestorm here about divisions in our world (and I admit to having second thoughts about putting this up at all), I just saw this and will offer it here without comment. You can decide if you think it's the proper policy. 

Canadian Broadcasting Corporation instructs staff not to refer to Hamas as ‘terrorists’ 

Every time I read stuff like this, I'm reminded of the 1997 Newsradio episode that was set in space. Among other great lines, it featured one newscaster reading: "Anti-Empire terrorists today destroyed the Death Star, dealing a significant blow to the Empire's efforts to create peace and stability in this quadrant. Fortunately, Lord Vader was not seriously injured."
Funny stuff, but it masks an underlying point. Modern countries, such as Israel, Ireland and Vietnam were all borne out of revolution that toppled existing social orders and the organizations that led these efforts (the Irgun in Israel, the IRA in Ireland and the Viet Cong in Vietnam) were all, at one time, deemed "terrorist" organizations. Indeed, leaders of these "terrorist" organizations, such as Menachem Begin in Israel and Eamon de Valera in Ireland, often rose to gain significant political power in the days after their countries' independence. The old adage that "yesterday's terrorist is sometimes tomorrow's freedom fighter" is often proved true.
For the record, I deplore the tactics used by Hamas during it's recent incursion into Israel and fully support efforts to have those involved in such atrocities to be held accountable under international humanitarian law.
But for context, let's look at the fictional character of The Newsreader from Rome, the mini-series by HBO. Watch how Julius Caesar goes from "enemy of the people" to "Saviour of the Republic".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH0kO5qcPf8

Last edited by BowmanvilleBob (October 11, 2023 1:11 pm)

October 11, 2023 1:27 pm  #6

The CBC is trying to be politically correct. Well I'm sorry but in this situation it just doesn't fly.  Hamas should moor appropriately be referred to as barbarians.

Here's another strange one.  The Toronto Star in their coverage of Monday night's demonstrations on their website
decided to publish two photos of the unsanctioned illegal Palestinian rally but not one photo of the rally for Israel. I wonder which group the Star's photo editor supports.

October 11, 2023 1:35 pm  #7

Kudos to Anthony Furey for doing a bang up job covering the Mideast crisis on Monday for Talk 640 while
No-news-history-talk 1010 was asleep at the wheel.  If Bell no longer cares about 1010, they should sell it
to a company who does.  What a waste of a frequency.

October 11, 2023 8:08 pm  #8

For those of you interested in logical and rational discussion, as opposed to hyperbole, here's BBC world news editor John Simpson explaining why the BBC doesn't refer to Hamas as "terrorists". Note that this is a longstanding policy that dealt with how the BBC termed the IRA and other organizations and has nothing to do with being "politically correct." It also notes that panel guests, government officials and ordinary people who use the term to apply to groups like Hamas are not censored and are free to use it as they wish.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-67083432

Last edited by BowmanvilleBob (October 11, 2023 8:10 pm)

October 11, 2023 8:16 pm  #9

For the record, I believe the Palestinian people have legitimate grievances, but I abhor what Hamas is doing now.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

October 11, 2023 8:22 pm  #10

BowmanvilleBob wrote:

For those of you interested in logical and rational discussion, as opposed to hyperbole, here's BBC world news editor John Simpson explaining why the BBC doesn't refer to Hamas as "terrorists". Note that this is a longstanding policy that dealt with how the BBC termed the IRA and other organizations and has nothing to do with being "politically correct." It also notes that panel guests, government officials and ordinary people who use the term to apply to groups like Hamas are not censored and are free to use it as they wish.

Respect.

October 11, 2023 9:06 pm  #11

I stand to be corrected, but the CBC policy on calling people terrorists is not new.  It first came from longtime news director Tony Burman, who was no fan of Israel.  Neither was Neil McDonald, their longtime Middle East correspondent.  McDonald once led an attempt to get foreign news agencies to boycott some type of Israeli government event.

October 11, 2023 9:59 pm  #12

Burman's sins, if they can be described as such, among certain segments of the Canadian population stem largely from a few articles he wrote in 2012 about the influence of Israeli politicians on Canada's foreign policy under Stephen Harper's government. The fact that he also worked for Al Jazeera in helping it to gain traction in North America after his departure from the CBC seems something his critics want to use as a club against him.

As for MacDonald, a quick search of the internet reveals he and other members of the Foreign Press  Association in Jerusalem had repeatedly pressed Israeli authorities to explain why journalists who were covering the Gaza conflicts were being shot. His views can be found here - https://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/cfje-statement-1.4620246

October 12, 2023 12:39 am  #13

As I posted in another thread, why not actually read the journalism in question before jumping to conclusions about it?  Here's the initial report.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/gaza-israel-rockets-attack-hamas-1.6990209

October 12, 2023 12:40 am  #14

RadioActive wrote:

(and I admit to having second thoughts about putting this up at all)

Good one.

October 12, 2023 7:33 am  #15

RadioActive wrote:

I won't defend the CBC, but consider the source of this story:
The NY Post is a sensationalist tabloid with a mixed credibility (factual reporting) rating according to Media Bias Fact Check.   That means they're not much of a reliable news source.    I'll give an example of their coverage of the Residential School graves where they laid claim that there were no bodies recovered from the mass graves (there were no 'mass graves', they were 'unmarked graves') and proceeded to find quotes from idiots in Canada who have constantly denied it even happened.   So take what the NY Post says with a grain of salt because they tend to miss facts, context and nuance in their stories to fit their political agenda.   It never hurts to vet sources if the claims sound over the top or sensationalized.   They're a perfect example.

There's plenty of examples of the NY Post's innacurate and false reporting at Media Bias Fact Check's website.  Link provided.

Last edited by SpinningWheel (October 12, 2023 7:46 am)

October 12, 2023 9:48 am  #16

The NY Post is a newspaper the way Sue Ann Levy is a journalist.

October 12, 2023 4:32 pm  #17

BowmanvilleBob wrote:

This issue of how the BBC references the attackers has become a huge story in Britain, with even King Charles and other members of the Royal Family being dragged into the debate. Here are two views on it from two major London newspapers. 

The Daily Mail

The Times

October 12, 2023 5:37 pm  #18

Wow...quite the spectrum of opinion you have there RA. All the way from the right-wing Conservative establishment paper to the right-wing populist tabloid that specializes in celebrity news and royal gossip. 
Perhaps some people might appreciate a more fact-based approach to the discussion from a media outlet that specializes in coverage of the British press:
https://pressgazette.co.uk/news/bbc-defends-decision-not-to-use-word-terrorist-in-hamas-reporting/

October 12, 2023 5:52 pm  #19

BowmanvilleBob wrote:

Wow...quite the spectrum of opinion you have there RA. All the way from the right-wing Conservative establishment paper to the right-wing populist tabloid that specializes in celebrity news and royal gossip. 
Perhaps some people might appreciate a more fact-based approach to the discussion from a media outlet that specializes in coverage of the British press:
https://pressgazette.co.uk/news/bbc-defends-decision-not-to-use-word-terrorist-in-hamas-reporting/

I actually appreciate you adding this link. I had looked through several articles and these were the ones that turned up over and over. I had never heard of the "Press Gazette" but I'm glad to read an alternate opinion.