sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 11, 2023 10:45 am  #1

A-I Nonsense

Just in case any human announcers are worried that they will be replaced by A-I.
I watched a Youtube video today about actresses who were famous in the 80s and 90s and where they are now.
One of them was Tori Spelling.
The male A-I voice reading the script was almost undetectable until it said this... "Tori Spelling is best known for her role in "Beverly Hills Ninety Thousand, two hundred and ten."

October 11, 2023 10:57 am  #2

Re: A-I Nonsense

The early versions of the Pelmorex-generated "Emergency Bulletins" that interrupt radio and TV signals in the event of a disaster, Amber Alert, or looming serious weather issue, used to have the automated voice say, "If you see the suspect, call Nine Hundred and Eleven immediately," instead of 911. 

I think they finally fixed that!

October 11, 2023 11:21 am  #3

That's a big one zero dash four good buddy.

October 11, 2023 11:29 am  #4

newsguy1 wrote:

That's a big one zero dash four good buddy.

I think AI would have pronounced "dash" as "hyphen."

October 11, 2023 12:59 pm  #5

newsguy1 wrote:

Just in case any human announcers are worried that they will be replaced by A-I.
I watched a Youtube video today about actresses who were famous in the 80s and 90s and where they are now.
One of them was Tori Spelling.
The male A-I voice reading the script was almost undetectable until it said this... "Tori Spelling is best known for her role in "Beverly Hills Ninety Thousand, two hundred and ten."

Musician Pete Townshend was interviewed on the  Broken Record with Rick Rubin podcast yesterday and spoke knowledgeably about AI while mentioning something similar about how he uses it as an aid to summarize his notes, but said it needs a good proof reading for stupid errors like you mentioned.   This applies to voiced material as well.    I was impressed with his insight on a number of technology subjects.   At 78 he's sharp as a tack and still learning.

Last edited by SpinningWheel (October 11, 2023 1:01 pm)

October 11, 2023 3:52 pm  #6

not really AI, just text-to-speech (TTS)

How would a human read the number "90210" unless they knew the full context of "Beverly Hills, 90210" ?

With TTS, the text must be correctly formatted for a proper translation. The number "911" should be typed as "9  1  1" for proper TTS translation, otherwise you will get "nine hundred and eleven"

Now, a dash of AI just might resolve this little quirk

October 17, 2023 10:59 pm  #7

I was driving up to Uxbridge on Thursday and on the way, tuned in CIWS-FM 102.9, which is the Stouffville community radio station. I heard them using an AI female voice for their 1pm news and weather.  It was interesting to hear the pronunciations, but when she closed off the newscast by giving her name as "Linda Lovelace", I nearly went off the road with laughter.

At least someone up there has a sense of humour.

October 18, 2023 10:02 am  #8

Evuguy wrote:

but when she closed off the newscast by giving her name as "Linda Lovelace", I nearly went off the road with laughter. 

Sense of humor indeed if it was really "Linda".    Some AI systems are named "Ada Lovelace" (or just "Ada"), however, as a tribute to one of the early figures that many computer principles are based upon. Did you really hear "Linda" or was it "Ada"?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ada_Lovelace

Last edited by AspectRatio (October 18, 2023 10:03 am)