sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 9, 2016 7:58 pm  #2

Re: Erin Davis retires

In the video she says December 15 is her last day so she'll share in a few weeks of the joy. Okay, I'll jump - CHFI will go all Christmas around November 21.

November 9, 2016 10:54 pm  #3

kevjo wrote:

In the video she says December 15 is her last day so she'll share in a few weeks of the joy. Okay, I'll jump - CHFI will go all Christmas around November 21.

With EZ rock long out of the way and no radio station in Toronto about to change format, there is no real rush to go all Christmas before anyone else.
I still believe they'll go all Christmas the day after November 11th...a perfect time to do so.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 9, 2016 11:04 pm  #4

I know one year was timed to coincide with the Santa Claus Parade.

November 10, 2016 1:12 pm  #5

grilled.cheese wrote:

When is she retiring?  Will she be around for Christmas music ratings discussion? 

I miss Don Daynard

November 10, 2016 1:20 pm  #6

BoredOp wrote:

I know one year was timed to coincide with the Santa Claus Parade.

Don & Erin would make a terrific Mr. & Mrs. S. Claus

November 10, 2016 10:17 pm  #7

Radiowiz wrote:

kevjo wrote:

With EZ rock long out of the way and no radio station in Toronto about to change format, there is no real rush to go all Christmas before anyone else.
I still believe they'll go all Christmas the day after November 11th...a perfect time to do so.

I believe Jewel has gone as early as November in the past as well, but not recently.

November 10, 2016 10:42 pm  #8

Last time Erin 'left' 'FI' found itself hurting BIG TIME.  This time?  I bet it'll be about the same.  A hard pair of shoes to fill.

November 10, 2016 11:39 pm  #9

Old Codger wrote:

Last time Erin 'left' 'FI' found itself hurting BIG TIME.  This time?  I bet it'll be about the same.  A hard pair of shoes to fill.

I highly doubt anyone is going to care this time round, since she gets to say good bye and ease in the replacement person rather than brutally be shown the door like last time. 

November 10, 2016 11:41 pm  #10

Sunny wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

kevjo wrote:

I believe Jewel has gone as early as November in the past as well, but not recently.

I think Jewel 92 went all Christmas first before Jewel 88five last year, but that's neither here nor there because they're both not intended to be Toronto radio stations. 

Last edited by Radiowiz (November 10, 2016 11:42 pm)

November 11, 2016 10:06 am  #11

Ms. C. wrote:

grilled.cheese wrote:

When is she retiring?  Will she be around for Christmas music ratings discussion? 

I miss Don Daynard

I miss Sandy Hoyt.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

November 11, 2016 8:11 pm  #12

Radiowiz wrote:

Old Codger wrote:

I highly doubt anyone is going to care this time round, since she gets to say good bye and ease in the replacement person rather than brutally be shown the door like last time. 

That part of it all likely bugged us industry types a little bit more.  The audience just out and out missed her...period.  Ratings took a tumble...and when she returned...so too did the numbers.  People missed her being there...doing her show...being there for them so that they could start their day the way they obviously preferred.

I've said it before.  USUALLY when someone leaves the airwaves...people miss 'em A LOT.  It's kind of like a death in the family.  Ownership and management just don't 'get it' [not a clue] and they continue to kill their core audiences' soul every time they make a move to save themselves a few measly dollars.  A pox on their cold, cold hearts.

That Erin is leaving of her own accord will not stop her from being missed.  Nor will it stop many folks from shopping around for what they're going to listen to as they go about getting their days underway going forward.

November 12, 2016 11:25 am  #13

Old Codger wrote:

...Ownership and management just don't 'get it' [not a clue] and they continue to kill their core audiences' soul every time they make a move to save themselves a few measly dollars.  A pox on their cold, cold hearts.

You make a good point.

But, whatever happened to the CHFI GM/PD who let Erin go back in June 2003?

November 12, 2016 11:29 am  #14

Glen Warren wrote:

But, whatever happened to the CHFI GM/PD who let Erin go back in June 2003?

Julie Adams is still with Rogers to this very day...

November 12, 2016 5:40 pm  #15

The decision cost hundreds of thousands of dollars and many jobs across the country as Rogers stations in smaller markets were gutted in the wake of revenue losses in the Toronto cluster.  She has since been promoted twice from PD of Rogers in Toronto up to Senior Vice President of Rogers Radio.

November 13, 2016 6:48 am  #16

Charlie wrote:

Don't listen to chick radio.  Couldn't care less

Which morning radio program lights up your life, Chuck?

November 13, 2016 10:04 am  #17

Charlie wrote:

Punjabi Morning Update on 1320.  I dig the music.  

Will check that out (have been in a deep funk since Oakley was turfed from morning drive)

geo

November 13, 2016 10:59 am  #18

Prod Guy wrote:

...  She has since been promoted twice from PD of Rogers in Toronto up to Senior Vice President of Rogers Radio.

amazing. truly amazing...

November 13, 2016 11:26 am  #19

Charlie wrote:

Don't listen to chick radio.  Couldn't care less.  Apparently, she should have bags of cash to cushion the retirement.

AND.....GOOD FOR HER.....she's earned it. 

November 13, 2016 11:40 am  #20

Just to show you Julie Adams growth, she was my op at Q-107 for a short time; in the early 90's Saturday & Sunday morning. She then; after a stint at Rawlco, stayed with the company that bought out Rawlco.  Rogers.  She has never looked back.  A true professional.

Last edited by John D (November 13, 2016 11:45 am)

November 13, 2016 11:44 am  #21

I chuckle at the people who assume major market radio is some type of autocracy.  Especially in Toronto of all places, no decision is made without a chain of approvals above and below their position.   To be honest, I do admire the executives who take ownership of the decisions made.  They're true leaders, not blaming others for their actions, even though they may not agree or completely support them.   I think the fact that Julie has 'worn' the Erin initially leaving decision, pretty much on her own since it was decided, speaks volumes about her professionalism.  

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

November 13, 2016 12:41 pm  #22

ig wrote:

I think the fact that Julie has 'worn' the Erin initially leaving decision, pretty much on her own since it was decided, speaks volumes about her professionalism.  

...and says several tons MORE about their collective amateurism

November 14, 2016 1:33 am  #23

Before the Ill-fated Erin Davis"call the biggest star in the entire company at the cottage and fire her" maneuver, there was the decision to adjust Kiss 92 to an urban leaning CHR which resulted in a ratings drop bad enough to warrant a flip to Jack FM.

Radio in this city has a long list of people who failed upwards in my opinion.  Don Kollins at the Fan moved Bob McCown to the 3 to 6 slot with a rerun hour from 6 to 7.  (Reruns from 2 hours ago in afternoon drive??)  He eventually had to undo what he had done but is still there.  Then there was Dave Farrow at Q and CFNY who turned CFNY back into The Spirit of Radio on Sundays even though he already had a classic rock station that served the same demo.  That unconventional move actually succeeded beyond anyone's wildest expectations, (I know most of us here loved it) and it was promptly cancelled. I don't believe he lasted long after that.

Last edited by Prod Guy (November 14, 2016 1:49 am)

November 14, 2016 3:21 pm  #24

Radio management 'types' spend  W A Y  too much time looking at what 'they're' doing in the States and in other 'important' markets.  They have an enormous amount of difficulty coming up with ANYTHING unique let alone anything which would be specifically aimed at and indigenous to their OWN market.

It's like the idea of air-lifting strangers in from 'who the EFF cares' to sit in and amongst the strangers who would be their brand-spankin'-new audience.  Sometimes they 'luck out' but usually?  It wasn't worth the expense or the result...which is the ongoing fact of the station's continued dormancy and just treading water/sitting in limbo.

Gotta come up with a format which fits into the holes available for the LOCAL supply and demand reality.  Copying what they're doing in Dallas and duplicating 'it' with our national 35% anchor ain't necessarily gonna work in St. John.  [or Toronto]

Oh...and for gawd's sake...STOP burning the music out.

November 14, 2016 3:57 pm  #25

Prod Guy wrote:

.  Don Kollins at the Fan moved Bob McCown to the 3 to 6 slot with a rerun hour from 6 to 7.  (Reruns from 2 hours ago in afternoon drive??)  He eventually had to undo what he had done but is still there.  

Uh, no. He left in 2015 for 95.7 The Game in San Francisco. But you were close.

Wait. No, you are completely wrong. Pretty sure that news was posted here, too.

November 15, 2016 11:11 pm  #26

verger wrote:

Prod Guy wrote:

.  Don Kollins at the Fan moved Bob McCown to the 3 to 6 slot with a rerun hour from 6 to 7.  (Reruns from 2 hours ago in afternoon drive??)  He eventually had to undo what he had done but is still there.  

Uh, no. He left in 2015 for 95.7 The Game in San Francisco. But you were close.

Wait. No, you are completely wrong. Pretty sure that news was posted here, too.

So he wasn't allowed to hang around after moving McCown resulting in a ratings drop which was the point of the whole thing?  And the Game is in 23rd place in the market and has a quarter of the number of listeners of KNBR the other sports station in town.  Again.  Failing upward.  You were right the first time.  I was close.

Last edited by Prod Guy (November 15, 2016 11:18 pm)

December 18, 2016 7:28 pm  #27

Prod Guy wrote:

You were right the first time.  I was close.

I admire a man who has the courage to say he was close on something when he:

a. didn't even know that Kollins had left the station 

and 

b. some nobody on the internet had to inform him that it happened more than a year ago.

Sure, you were close. Absolutely.

With your reasoning and deductive skills, if you haven't already done so, you should submit your resume in to the Trump Presidency/Organization. I'd suggest with your fluency in Donaldian logic, you'd make an excellent press secretary.

December 18, 2016 11:22 pm  #28

I admire someone who takes a month come up with a response.

I'll look for your next witty retort on January 21st.

December 18, 2016 11:55 pm  #29

Fraud guy: I have a life, unlike you, apparently.

December 18, 2016 11:58 pm  #30

Believe it or not, not everyone sits idly by waiting for a blowhard to say something. Grow up, man.