sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 17, 2015 10:52 am  #1

Using Cellphone in the Subway

Wind mobile is very excited about allowing people to make phone calls in subways that are currently equipped with WIFI.

I've been using Skype down there forever.  Works great.  

At least there will be one area in the city where you'll get great Wind Mobile service, other than discoving you're in 'roaming' mode at Bloor and Spadina.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

June 17, 2015 11:06 am  #2

Re: Using Cellphone in the Subway

I thought about changing my cell service to Wind Mobile....  looked into it further, and then thought again... 
spotty coverage.... I'll stay with the big R.

June 17, 2015 11:56 am  #3

Attn. local talk show hosts. you might want to take a closer look at this one. Here's why. 

A number of years ago, those behind the Montreal subway announced they'd be equipping their system with cell phone service. I was working at a local TV station at the time and we decided to do a poll about whether people wanted the same capability on Toronto's subway. We got a flood of email and frankly, while the results were unscientific, their responses surprised me.     

Instead of commuters saying bring it on, the vast majority - if memory serves, it was close to 80% - said "hell no, we don't want it." Most explained that their subway ride is about the only time they have a chance to read or catch up on some sleep, and they were worried that allowing cell signals would result in the same kind of rude behaviour that's common to some mobile phone users - loud talking, non-stop yakking, etc etc. 

That was a while ago, but I can only wonder if that attitude has changed and whether the TTC will one day have to do what GO did - provide a "quiet only" part of the train where you can get away from the endless splatter of chatter.

June 17, 2015 12:16 pm  #4

At this point, it's standing on the platform only.

Let the law suits launch though..  people texting walking off the platform, people talking on phones walking off the platform, Live streaming or periscope the upskirt cameras, and the old chestnut the TTC used for years as to why they wouldn't allow it..  remote bomb detonation.

Never a dull moment in the big smoke.

RadioActive wrote:

Attn. local talk show hosts. you might want to take a closer look at this one. Here's why. 

A number of years ago, those behind the Montreal subway announced they'd be equipping their system with cell phone service. I was working at a local TV station at the time and we decided to do a poll about whether people wanted the same capability on Toronto's subway. We got a flood of email and frankly, while the results were unscientific, their responses surprised me.     

Instead of commuters saying bring it on, the vast majority - if memory serves, it was close to 80% - said "hell no, we don't want it." Most explained that their subway ride is about the only time they have a chance to read or catch up on some sleep, and they were worried that allowing cell signals would result in the same kind of rude behaviour that's common to some mobile phone users - loud talking, non-stop yakking, etc etc. 

That was a while ago, but I can only wonder if that attitude has changed and whether the TTC will one day have to do what GO did - provide a "quiet only" part of the train where you can get away from the endless splatter of chatter.

June 17, 2015 12:28 pm  #5

It's only on the platforms for now and I can't see anyone objecting to that. But we know it likely won't stay that way for long. The technology exists to spread it to the trains and the big cell companies would love to have it everywhere. Hell, they may even be willing to pay to make it happen. And that's when the subway sitters would hit the fan. (Almost forgot - the other thing we heard in that survey was that people were afraid that if they had cell access on the subway, they'd be too tempted to use it to stay in touch with the office, their families, etc. As it now stands they have no choice but to maintain radio silence.)

Still, as John Tory has noted in relation to Uber vs. taxis, you can't stop progress, regardless of the objections. And I think cells in the subway trains and tunnels is inevitable. The real question isn't if - it's when.

[EDIT] Just saw this on the T.O. Star story about the change, from spokesman TTC Brad Ross. "Ross said the wireless network would be available in all subway stations by 2017, with cellular service in tunnels to follow."

Last edited by RadioActive (June 17, 2015 12:39 pm)

June 17, 2015 12:36 pm  #6

I have Wind Mobile and to be honest in most of the GTA, I have never had my phone flip to ROAMING.  The only people I ever hear of having that issue are people who by the cheapest NO-NAME phone possible or their unrealistic expectation that it will work 2-3 floors below ground.   When I have adventured outside their area, it roams on Rogers OR Telus, so realstically for someone in an Urban area, that they have service, it should just work.  There is far too many "crazy" folk online on other sites who base their view on how the network was 5+ years ago  when they launched vs now.   Let me not remind you that ROGERS and Bell had AWFUL service when they launched their networks.   Wind has already passed the big guys based on how little time they have existed.

Last edited by radiokid (June 17, 2015 12:40 pm)

June 17, 2015 12:40 pm  #7

Seems they're aware of the problem and still working on it.

radiokid wrote:

I have Wind Mobile and to be honest in most of the GTA, I have never had my phone flip to ROAMING.  The only people I ever hear of having that issue are people who by the cheapest NO-NAME phone possible or their unrealistic expectation that it will work 2-3 floors below ground.   When I have adventured outside their area, it roams on Rogers OR Telus, so realstically for someone in an Urban area, that they have service, it should just work.  There is far too many "crazy" folk online who base their view on how the network was 5+ years ago  when they launched vs now.   Let me not remind you that ROGERS and Bell had AWFUL service when they launched their networks.   Wind has already passed the big guys based on how little time they have existed.

June 17, 2015 7:42 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

perhaps the TTC will do what go transit has done and introduce "quiet zones" to subway trains? for those passengers who don't want to listen to 18 phone calls at once, they can enjoy a quiet ride on the back half of the train. but then how do you enforce that?