sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 5, 2023 9:41 am  #1

Tarzan Dan Back On Air In Toronto

The veteran DJ, who's worked for a number of outlets in the city, now has another place to list on his resume. Broadcast Dialogue reports he'll be doing weekends from 9 AM- 3 PM (a pretty long shift) on Boom 97.3 in Toronto. He starts there later this month, after being dismissed from Calgary's Q107, where he was caught in a format change. 

October 5, 2023 11:40 am  #2

Re: Tarzan Dan Back On Air In Toronto

This is awesome!  I remember him from the childhood days of AM 640 and CFTR.   Boom is the perfect station these days for him. 

October 5, 2023 11:51 am  #3

What took them so long?

October 5, 2023 12:21 pm  #4

markow202 wrote:

This is awesome!  I remember him from the childhood days of AM 640 and CFTR.   Boom is the perfect station these days for him. 

Apples to oranges. He will most likely be a VT since he is keeping his week end shift on XL 103.
I'm guessing maybe (if this is what listeners want) he'll interview some famous artist and then play one of their songs.
The same vt'd interview could easily air on both stations. 
I honestly do not know if he'll go to the phones or have a prize for callers...etc (anything that works best live)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 5, 2023 1:22 pm  #5

Radiowiz wrote:

markow202 wrote:

Apples to oranges. He will most likely be a VT since he is keeping his week end shift on XL 103.
I'm guessing maybe (if this is what listeners want) he'll interview some famous artist and then play one of their songs.
The same vt'd interview could easily air on both stations. 
I honestly do not know if he'll go to the phones or have a prize for callers...etc (anything that works best live)

You are incorrect. He will NOT be VT'd.

October 5, 2023 3:20 pm  #6

Whats a VT 

October 5, 2023 3:29 pm  #7

Voice Tracked

October 5, 2023 10:26 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

Voice Tracked

VT'ed or not, it's good to have TD back in TO.

October 6, 2023 9:49 am  #9

Tarzan Dan has always been one of the best top 40 announcers anywhere.  And as markow202 mentions above, Boom is a perfect station for him. He will be playing much of the same music from his legendary CFTR days many years ago. It will be great to hear Tarzan back on Toronto radio!  

Lots good changes happening on air.  Steve Paikin and Ben Mulroney with regular morning appearances on AM 640, David Common the new host of Metro Morning on CBC, and now Tarzan Dan back in town at Boom.  The local radio landscape is getting more interesting and with some good personalities. 

October 8, 2023 1:18 am  #10

ckg927 wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Voice Tracked

He's going to be on both Boom and XL. 
I doubt it'll be any good. Just a bunch of blah. Canada wide blah.
Nothing Toronto about it. 

October 8, 2023 2:56 am  #11

Radiowiz wrote:

ckg927 wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Voice Tracked

How many times in a shift does any music announcer talk about something completely local to the city they're in?  Once or twice maybe?  It's not a talk show it's a shift on a music station.  He'll be talking about things from his life, and the music and pop culture.  He doesn't need to talk about the pothole at Yonge and Front to be entertaining or relevant.  

October 8, 2023 3:19 am  #12

Tomas Barlow wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

ckg927 wrote:

How many times in a shift does any music announcer talk about something completely local to the city they're in?  Once or twice maybe?  It's not a talk show it's a shift on a music station.  He'll be talking about things from his life, and the music and pop culture.  He doesn't need to talk about the pothole at Yonge and Front to be entertaining or relevant.  

I wasn't thinking about a pothole, but I DO like the local callers that call in in between songs.  
& the live local input from the local radio announcer in between songs. 

October 8, 2023 9:06 am  #13

Live or voice tracked, whether he is in Toronto or not, Dan will sound great on Boom.