sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 3, 2023 11:24 am  #1

Ever Wonder What Buffalo TV Reporters Make? Here's A Clue

Alan Pergament in The Buffalo News reveals what many reporters in the Queen City make every year - and why so many may be leaving for other markets. 

State law raises the curtain on low local TV news salaries

October 3, 2023 3:47 pm  #2

Re: Ever Wonder What Buffalo TV Reporters Make? Here's A Clue

Ashley Rowe moved from being a reporter in Toronto to an anchor in Buffalo but is no longer doing it for she's having a family I believe.   I wonder if the low pay paid a part in the decision?   I imagine she went there in the first place because of the opportunities offered in the large US market.

Aside from that, cops and teachers in many US cities aren't paid very well compared to here, but the cost of living is considerably lower in many cases as well.

That article is a shocking relevation.  The compensation is ridiculously low.

Last edited by SpinningWheel (October 3, 2023 3:50 pm)

October 3, 2023 4:03 pm  #3

Small comfort, but at least that's U.S. funds!

October 3, 2023 4:09 pm  #4

SpinningWheel wrote:

Ashley Rowe moved from being a reporter in Toronto to an anchor in Buffalo but is no longer doing it for she's having a family I believe.   I wonder if the low pay paid a part in the decision?   I imagine she went there in the first place because of the opportunities offered in the large US market.

Aside from that, cops and teachers in many US cities aren't paid very well compared to here, but the cost of living is considerably lower in many cases as well.

That article is a shocking relevation.  The compensation is ridiculously low.

Turns out Rowe is not out of the TV anchor business. She's just doing it in a slightly bigger market. Raleigh-Durham ranks as the 23rd market in the U.S. Buffalo is no longer in the top 50.

Ashley Rowe returns to TV news as co-anchor in Raleigh-Durham, a Top 25 market

October 3, 2023 4:15 pm  #5

Ted Woloyshyn did an excellent podcast with Ashley, and she did mentioned briefly about the pay not being near what people would think.  She left WKBW to spend more time with family but  did eventually  accept a position in Raleigh North Carolina at a large local TV station there.  Although it didn't really sound like she would be making her stay there permanent.

When working in Buffalo Ashley mentioned that she was home to Mississauga a lot since her mother and other family live there.  Asked if she would ever come back to Canada for work, she said that she would seriously consider it since she would like to raise her kids here but Toronto is so expensive. She was born in the US and raised in Canada.  She went to Western and Fanshawe College.  Sounded like she enjoyed living in London.

Ted has some great interviews, https://www.tedwoloshyn.ca/

October 3, 2023 9:41 pm  #6

Just read the article, that is really poor pay.  I know the cost of living is low in Buffalo and WNY but that is still not very good money for a job that not everyone can do.  Are the stations in Buffalo unionized at all?  Probably with the cost of living in Toronto, most of the gains for a Global, CTV or even CBC reporter will be wiped out.  Hopefully the reporters in both cities have a significant other that makes decent money. 

October 3, 2023 9:53 pm  #7

Some time ago, Perg did a feature story in the Sunday News on why so many female local TV reporters and anchors were getting out of the local TV news business(it specifically mention Katie Alexander and Erica Brecher, who used to work at News 4 but left for other jobs-Katie, at last report, was working in Columbus in the education field in PR, while Erica stayed in the area but also in the education field).

October 4, 2023 12:07 am  #8

paterson1 wrote:

Ted Woloyshyn did an excellent podcast with Ashley, and she did mentioned briefly about the pay not being near what people would think.  She left WKBW to spend more time with family but  did eventually  accept a position in Raleigh North Carolina at a large local TV station there.  Although it didn't really sound like she would be making her stay there permanent.

(edit)

Ted has some great interviews, https://www.tedwoloshyn.ca/

I listen to Ted's podcast frequently so I'll search for the one with Ashley.   Glad to hear she's back in the saddle and doing well.