sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 2, 2023 10:07 pm  #1

CFXJ 93.5 HD2 “Pure Country” gone

Stingray’s “Pure Country” no longer on 93.5’s HD2. Wasn’t aligned with feed from any Stingray “Pure Country” stations…
Oh well.

October 2, 2023 11:10 pm  #2

Re: CFXJ 93.5 HD2 “Pure Country” gone

Is there anything on 93.5 HD2 currently? (Or just main 93.5 HD1 without additional HD programing?)

I'm in Hamilton, so it's fringe coverage here and HD is spotty at best so I can't confirm)

October 3, 2023 7:44 am  #3

DOPEfm wrote:

Is there anything on 93.5 HD2 currently? (Or just main 93.5 HD1 without additional HD programing?)

I'm in Hamilton, so it's fringe coverage here and HD is spotty at best so I can't confirm)

The HD2 is off. The main signal is still HD.

Also, it was “New Country”. “Pure Country” is Bell’s brand.

October 3, 2023 9:58 am  #4

Could it mean that New Country will replace Today FM then?

October 3, 2023 10:24 am  #5

km93 wrote:

Could it mean that New Country will replace Today FM then?

No way.  Signal isn't strong enough.  I have no idea why Country never seems to work in Toronto, but a station needs strong full coverage and that signal just can't do it.

October 3, 2023 12:44 pm  #6

Stingray should do something with 93.5. They are doing a best of as well as a morning show from Calgary on after 7 pm and they are only live from 10-6 on weekends. I have also heard so much repeated segments during so called live shows. Vanessa from the afternoon show is broadcasting from Vancouver. So there are times when you can hear a delay. The station sounds very amateur. Pattison does the now/today brand way better. Especially the original station in Edmonton. But now has expanded to Winnipeg and Vancouver and Today is in Calgary. All those stations are better than today in Toronto.
As for flipping to country I think it would do alright. KX country in Durham and Hamilton do quite well. So having something in the middle might be good.
I personally can't see 93.5 maintain this format for much longer. Honestly country is about the only option they could do unless they go head to head with an existing format. Maybe try to do alternative and compete with Edge and Indie but they would have to do it right in order to gain listeners

October 3, 2023 12:51 pm  #7

KX in Durham has 20k and 93.5 has what... 1k? maybe 2k?  Also KX has 2 repeaters and a cloned format out of Hamilton.  Toronto is surrounded but someone still needs the balls to make a 50,000 watt blowtorch off the CN Tower in to a Country station.  I don't think it will happen.... sadly.  Country survived on CFGM and CHAM, but never made it in the actual city on Country 59 or the Rawlco station at 92.5 I believe?