sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 30, 2023 12:58 am  #1

CFTO’s 11:30 PM weather

This evening, CFTO’s 11:30 News had a pre-taped weather segment. Normally, it’s passable. Tonight though, the weather pre-tape was done with Jessica Smith outside while the sun was still out.

Could they not have sent Jessica back to the station (either at Agincourt or 299 Queen Street) to pre-tape the weather inside, or at least have her voice it (not be on camera) if Bell doesn’t want to pay her the overtime? It just looked really ridiculous this evening.

September 30, 2023 3:31 am  #2

Re: CFTO’s 11:30 PM weather

ED1 wrote:

This evening, CFTO’s 11:30 News had a pre-taped weather segment. Normally, it’s passable. Tonight though, the weather pre-tape was done with Jessica Smith outside while the sun was still out.

Could they not have sent Jessica back to the station (either at Agincourt or 299 Queen Street) to pre-tape the weather inside, or at least have her voice it (not be on camera) if Bell doesn’t want to pay her the overtime? It just looked really ridiculous this evening.

Bell is just going to keep doing things cheaper and cheaper and cheaper and they really don't care.
Sad, but true. 
I'm sick and tired of weather not being live also. 
Something should be done about this. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 30, 2023 4:03 am  #3

Since the cheapness and unprofessionalism really shows, they should roll the weather reading to the main host in the evening, making it a live casting instead.

September 30, 2023 8:59 am  #4

How much does it really cost to do weather live from CP24 and Sports from the TSN sports desk?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 30, 2023 1:42 pm  #5

DOPEfm wrote:

Since the cheapness and unprofessionalism really shows, they should roll the weather reading to the main host in the evening, making it a live casting instead.

They've been doing this on CFTO on weekends and at 11:30 if no one is available to present the weather. Unfortunately, the news anchors sound really unprepared when they have to present the weather. However in this case, I would have rather seen the anchor just read the weather from the desk.

What's even more baffling is that on evenings where severe weather is happening, or severe weather is expected overnight, CFTO still insists on pre-taping the weather (or just asking the CP24 weather person to stay a bit longer to do it live). 

September 30, 2023 3:30 pm  #6

I have no inside knowledge of why CFTO doessn't use CP24 weather people or a TSN Sports report. The only thing I can think of is union jurisdiction issues... IF it's the same union and local --no problem-- BUT it may be diferent locals and the CFTO Sports and weather people were laid off or let go, so the union wouldn't want talent from the other sources taking those jobs. As I said, I have no specific knowledge and can only guess that's what it is... otherwise it's a no brainer to use CP24 and TSN talent.

September 30, 2023 9:06 pm  #7

"It's a no brainer."
Enough said.

September 30, 2023 11:26 pm  #8

Jessica Smith may be a nice woman who looks good on camera.  But she talks far too fast.  It's very hard to understand anything she says.  Slow down, girl.  And, I agree with Radiowiz -- I don't understand why TSN doesn't do sports for them, and I guess the same should go for The Weather Network.  It leads to moments like the one I posted about months ago, when Zaraida Alman told us an NHL team scored 2 points in the final quarter to beat the Leafs. 

October 1, 2023 8:21 am  #9

It cannot be a union jurisdiction think.  Back in the early 2000's CFTO ran a 3 or 4 minute long sports package from TSN inserted into their noon newscast using TSN anchors and shot from their studio.  I believed at the time that this would be the first step in doing something like this for their 6 and 11:30 shows but that never materialized.

October 1, 2023 6:38 pm  #10

Just a Radio Fan wrote:

It cannot be a union jurisdiction think.  Back in the early 2000's CFTO ran a 3 or 4 minute long sports package from TSN inserted into their noon newscast using TSN anchors and shot from their studio.  I believed at the time that this would be the first step in doing something like this for their 6 and 11:30 shows but that never materialized.

Didn't CP24 have some awsome TSN segments? I remember back then CP24's Live at 10 newscast with Kyle Christie and Jee Yun Lee had some funny moments during those segments. You don't see that anymore. The only segements that CFTO does during the noon newscasts is the business report from BNN Blomberg. Same thing with CKCO's news at noon they also have a busniess segements.