sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 29, 2023 8:45 am  #1

Trivia Twits

Been hearing this trivia prize give-away on Moore's show on 1010.  It's painfully bad.  Do they screen these people to purposely put on the most clueless contestants possible?

September 29, 2023 9:29 am  #2

Re: Trivia Twits

Walter wrote:

Been hearing this trivia prize give-away on Moore's show on 1010.  It's painfully bad.  Do they screen these people to purposely put on the most clueless contestants possible?

I fully agree. I thought of posting what you've written above but couldn't bother.

Painful. Bad. Clueless.

They all correctly describe that "contest" currently on 1010.

How long will it take them to rejig?

I'll bet it won't be long at all.

And by the way I had to smile when 1010 morning news anchor Patricia Mohamed spoke of the Canadian rock bands to be honoured on the Walk of Fame.

John Moore said this morning that Patricia told him she'd never heard of any of the bands & that's fine. That's an age thing.

But I too am going to start referring to one of the honoured additions as Chilly Wack!!

Thanks Patricia!! You made me laugh and in a very good way!

September 29, 2023 1:19 pm  #3

Not funny when the band is named after a pronounceable city in BC. 

September 29, 2023 6:11 pm  #4

Yesterday the CFRB news announcer uttered 'Chilly Wack' as the band name. Also referred to Jeanne Beker as 'Jeanne Baker'. Maybe it's some in-joke.

September 29, 2023 7:12 pm  #5

Chrisphen wrote:

Yesterday the CFRB news announcer uttered 'Chilly Wack' as the band name. Also referred to Jeanne Beker as 'Jeanne Baker'. Maybe it's some in-joke.

No in-joke.  They're just as clueless as the contestants.  Pathetic.

September 29, 2023 8:59 pm  #6

I wouldn't knock them all.   A few days ago the questions were pretty tough and the contestants did well.  However  I get suspicious with this sort of thing, living in the era of easy internet access.    On another note, Moore and Agar were talking about can-con and he said a lot of the 1980s Canadian bands were lost to him because he lived in the USA back then and they weren't on his radar.   So you never know what the background is when somebody screws up pronunciation or what seems to be an obvious question.   And yes, I know Chilliwack was a 70s band.   One of their  albums was one of my first purchases back then.

Last edited by SpinningWheel (September 29, 2023 9:01 pm)

September 30, 2023 12:35 am  #7

I agree with a lot of the above comments.  I heard Chilly-Wack.  And some of the trivia contestants have been really bad -- some as bad as some of the callers to the Sunday Trivia Show.  If they think those questions were hard, they should check out our Monday trivia league, or any of the other leagues in the city.  One guy complained about being asked from which movie came the line, "Are you talking to me?"  But in fairness, the 2 guys who competed at 5:30 Friday afternoon were pretty good and knew some current pop culture so their score was 3-2.  But most of the ones I've heard were more like 1-0.

Last edited by dieter (September 30, 2023 12:36 am)

October 19, 2023 5:55 pm  #8

After listening to this "Car Full Of Cash" contest on RB for the past few weeks, I think it's safe to say it was not only not well thought out, but it commits the worst sin of all - it's pretty boring for the audience.

Consider:

-To enter, you have to text in. So no, "congratulations, you're the ninth caller!" excitement. The contestants wait on hold and then come on, with almost no excitement in their voices. There is no compelling reason to be tuned in to hear it. 

-They then have to answer what seem like pretty easy trivia questions and most don't do very well. The winner usually only gets one or two questions right. 

-Their tie breakers, which seem to happen often after no one gets enough correct answers to win, are so confusing that even John Moore said on Thursday 'we have to find a better way to do this.' If, for example, two male contestants are on the phone, the first one to answer the tie-breaker correctly wins. But unfortunately, both sound exactly the same, so the on-air host usually has no way to know who gave the right answer. (On Thursday, Moore had to ask the eventual winner, "which one of you said that?" and then guessed wrong about who it was.) 

-There's no real immediate resolution. You win a chance to win another chance at winning a prize. Every "winner" goes away with nothing but another opportunity to win sometime later, after answering all those questions and getting through to be a contestant. What a disappointment!

-And as I've noted before, the prize isn't all that wonderful in the end. You get $10,000, which is great. But you also win a one-year lease on a car. So after 365 days, unless you renew at your own expense, you have to pay to keep the prize! What kind of contest takes back what you won?

I'm not sure if you've noticed, but there's also no excitement from the hosts, either, in John Moore or Reshmi Nair when they play. It sounds like they simply want to get it over with. Like, perhaps, the listeners.

Not a great contest at all, and I can't help but wonder if this thing is as big a dud as it sounds on air.  

October 19, 2023 6:51 pm  #9

RadioActive wrote:

After listening to this "Car Full Of Cash" contest on RB for the past few weeks, I think it's safe to say it was not only not well thought out, but it commits the worst sin of all - it's pretty boring for the audience.

Consider:

-To enter, you have to text in. So no, "congratulations, you're the ninth caller!" excitement. The contestants wait on hold and then come on, with almost no excitement in their voices. There is no compelling reason to be tuned in to hear it. 

-They then have to answer what seem like pretty easy trivia questions and most don't do very well. The winner usually only gets one or two questions right. 

-Their tie breakers, which seem to happen often after no one gets enough correct answers to win, are so confusing that even John Moore said on Thursday 'we have to find a better way to do this.' If, for example, two male contestants are on the phone, the first one to answer the tie-breaker correctly wins. But unfortunately, both sound exactly the same, so the on-air host usually has no way to know who gave the right answer. (On Thursday, Moore had to ask the eventual winner, "which one of you said that?" and then guessed wrong about who it was.) 

-There's no real immediate resolution. You win a chance to win another chance at winning a prize. Every "winner" goes away with nothing but another opportunity to win sometime later, after answering all those questions and getting through to be a contestant. What a disappointment!

-And as I've noted before, the prize isn't all that wonderful in the end. You get $10,000, which is great. But you also win a one-year lease on a car. So after 365 days, unless you renew at your own expense, you have to pay to keep the prize! What kind of contest takes back what you won?

I'm not sure if you've noticed, but there's also no excitement from the hosts, either, in John Moore or Reshmi Nair when they play. It sounds like they simply want to get it over with. Like, perhaps, the listeners.

Not a great contest at all, and I can't help but wonder if this thing is as big a dud as it sounds on air.  

The listeners on Moore's show (myself included) likely just want it to be over.  Doubtful there are many listeners to The Resh to care one way or the other.

October 20, 2023 12:09 pm  #10

It's not always that bad.  Yesterday on The Rush, the contestants got all 7 questions including the tiebreaker.

November 22, 2023 8:25 pm  #11

This "Car Full of Cash" contest finally ends on Thursday, when they award the winner $10,000 and a one-year lease on an automobile. I honestly can't recall a contest that was duller or less interesting than this one and I wonder if those at CFRB are secretly glad it's over. As a contest designed to generate excitement, it was a bit of a bust.

The winner will finally be chosen on The Rush between 2-6 PM. I just hope the finalists don't have to play any trivia games, or it might go on for hours.

November 23, 2023 8:23 am  #12

Just the fact that the winner only gets the car for a year is fairly lame, even with the $10K. I also think they’d get more listeners if they announced the winner during Moore’s show, I don’t listen to The Rush anymore, like many.

November 23, 2023 6:52 pm  #13

I listened to the finale. While the winner was very grateful and emotional, it was a pretty dull finish. All in all, not a great promotion.