sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 5, 2016 8:17 pm  #1

Clinton Vs. Trump Vs. The Beatles: What Will You Watch?

I’m always curious about what channel people decide to watch when big events are taking place. And there are few bigger this year than the U.S. election, which will finally wrap up on Tuesday night, after almost two years of putting the “pain” in “campaign.”

I’ll probably be tuning around the various American networks, as I almost always graze between channels. If Trump wins, it may be worth a visit to CNN, which has earned its derogatory “Clinton News Network” moniker this go-round. If Hillary becomes president, then I suspect Fox News will sound like WGR-AM after a Bills loss – the referees were against us, fire the coach, fire everyone, the sky is falling, the fix was in, etc. Either one should be fun, once the final call is made.

I’d be curious to know who you’ll choose to watch as this epic farce concludes. Only two things are certain – the ratings will be huge. And while I can’t tell you who will win, I already know who will lose – the American voters.

Those who just want to shut it all out might like this alternative. On Tuesday night, CTV is showing the Ron Howard-directed documentary “Eight Days A Week – The Touring Years,” a documentary about the Beatles live performances, from their earliest days at the Cavern Club and in Germany to their very last live gig in San Francisco.

It's gotten O.K. reviews (you can read one here) – what is there left to say about the Fab Four that you don’t already know? – but at least it’s a unique angle that hasn’t been overly explored. Definitely worth a DVR setting if you’d rather see Beatlemania than political maniacs. It airs from 8 -10:30 PM this coming Tuesday night.

And better yet, by the time it ends, we may well know who won on all those other channels.

Last edited by RadioActive (November 5, 2016 8:19 pm)

November 5, 2016 10:52 pm  #2

Re: Clinton Vs. Trump Vs. The Beatles: What Will You Watch?

RadioActive wrote:

.. it may be worth a visit to CNN, which has earned its derogatory “Clinton News Network” moniker this go-round ..

I disagree.  I'm retired & have become "soap opera" addicted to this insane U.S. election.  Watching CNN daily, I think CNN has made a concerted effort to balance most panels with both Trump & Clinton surrogates.  Personally, I'd prefer to eliminate the surrogates & just listen to the analysts (like Gloria Borger, David Gergen, David Axelrod, Dana Bash) for much more civilized discussion.  

I think most would agree that if anyone other than Trump was involved, this campaign would have not come close to the gutter vitriol that we're witnessing.  Trump has permanently sewered his "precious brand".

If CNN is so left wing biased, why do we have to suffer through so many deplorable Trump surrogates?

Many of the Trump surrogates are truly deplorable people:
Boris Epshteyn
Katrina Pierson
Cory Lewandowski
Scottie Nell Hughes
Betsy McCaughey
Dr. Gina Loudon
Michael Cohen
Sheriff David Clarke
Pastor Darrell Scott
Pastor Mark Burns

A bit less deplorable are:
Jeffrey Lord
Kayleigh McEnany
Paris Dennard

The only Trump surrogates i can somewhat stand are:
André Bauer
John Phillips

November 6, 2016 11:36 am  #3

CNN.  I don't get MSNBC or FOX News.  ABC, CBS and NBC never come mind when I think of news coverage.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

November 6, 2016 1:21 pm  #4

CNN...I'll PVR the Fabs.

CNN is as close to neutral as I get on my limited and crap-laden cable outlet.

I loathe their use of surrogates though.  THOSE people should, at the very least, be tortured, shot and left to bleed out.  And in their case, as would also be the case with debates, I would only have 2 microphones active at a time.  Period.

1.  The host or moderator's mic... ... ...and
2.  The person who's supposed to be talking's mic.

These '6 people yackin' at once cacophonies' are truly 'toss the TV out the 55th story window' inducing.  And the lies and absolute bullshit they let go for MOST of the primary season and then well into the actual election cycle?  What the hell was THAT?  Amateur hour at it's worst.  The continuing death of NEWS. 

Still the result of this 'election' will impact every one of us...and directly.  Donald Trump as the president of anything other than  ASSHATS International makes 0 sense.  Granted...Hillary is, perhaps, a little less than honest and forthright.  Trump is pure, unadulterated slime in EVERY way and in every inch of the way.

But heh!!!  Americans gave us 'dubya' for 8 years of 100% idiocy, of record deficits, artificial wars and and a freaking depression just as 'bush II' helicoptered away and out of sight for good.  So I know I can't trust those people.  Being poorly educated and entirely misinformed [lied to] doesn't work out for anyone when it happens AS IT DOES every single gawd-forsaken day...without exception...in the 'land of the free'.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh...and now that fumbling FBI 'wick-head' has reclosed the e-mails 'case' as they found nothing but repeats and personal material involving Hillary on the Weiner lap-top.  He sure got to put his fingerprints on 'it' for a 9 day run though...Thus negatively impacting both advanced voting and also the mindset of 'the stupid many' who, for some reason, NEVER hear or even acknowlege retractions.  So the trumpites have now reverted back to blabbin' 'bout the "rigged" system 'bullshit'.  This FBI clown needs to be fired...by Obama...on Wednesday.  Gotta watch the election results.  What've the Beatles got goin' on?  Billy Spears is Paul?

I already KNOW that.

Last edited by Old Codger (November 6, 2016 6:52 pm)