sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 28, 2023 3:06 pm  #1

Would This All Naked "Reality" Show Offend You?

Just when you thought there couldn't be anything new in the world of reality TV comes this: another dating show. But let's be honest - this isn't just another dating show. 

"Naked Attraction" is airing on the pay streaming channel Max in the U.S. and it has a lot of people upset. That's because unlike other hook-up programs of its kind, this one skips right to the end. It presents the potential dates, both men and women, completely in the nude right at the beginning, revealing various body parts as the would-be lucky single gets to try and judge them. And apparently it's not only graphic physically, but verbally as well. 

The show, which originated in Britain, has predictably drawn a host of detractors, who worry about kids seeing it and the overall message about body issues that it sends. I have no idea if it will ever come to Canada, but you can only imagine seeing some of the more conservative viewers in the country with their heads exploding. Then again, there's always that old remedy - if you don't like it, don't watch it. 

So far, the reaction has been, well, mixed. 

"U.S. reviewers haven’t weighed in yet, but in the U.K., TV critics blasted the show, with The Telegraph writing: “How low can this dating show go?” And BuzzFeed UK declaring it “the most utterly stupid dating show on TV.” U.K. broadcast regulator Ofcom received more than 1,000 complaints about the show’s nudity, but ultimately ruled the footage “was justified in the context of the program.”

So would this be something in your viewing queue if it arrived north of the border? Does the idea of it offend you? I have to say these kinds of shows usually bore me to tears, but I'd probably watch this one - at least once! You can see the censored trailer below. 

‘Naked Attraction’ Is A Brutal Full-Frontal Nude Dating Show

September 28, 2023 3:43 pm  #2

Re: Would This All Naked "Reality" Show Offend You?

This has been airing on OUT TV in Canada for a couple of years now.  And it might not be what you expect.  It is not all buff people, every body type including those with surgical scars, amputations and mastectomy's have been on.  Every gender expression as been represented.  Binary non-binary and even a couple looking for their unicorn (look it up) to form a throuple.  The followup clips can be quite harsh where the date didn't work, some get ghosted and sometimes the one chosen doesn't show up for the 2-3 week followup session.  It is pretty much a typical dating show but you get to see, how would the British put it, all the naughty bits.   And yes to confirm it's obvious I've watched it.

September 28, 2023 3:54 pm  #3

It wouldn't offend me any more than any other Reality Show offends me.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

September 28, 2023 5:12 pm  #4

LOSat wrote:

This has been airing on OUT TV in Canada for a couple of years now.  And it might not be what you expect.  It is not all buff people, every body type including those with surgical scars, amputations and mastectomy's have been on.  Every gender expression as been represented.  Binary non-binary and even a couple looking for their unicorn (look it up) to form a throuple.  The followup clips can be quite harsh where the date didn't work, some get ghosted and sometimes the one chosen doesn't show up for the 2-3 week followup session.  It is pretty much a typical dating show but you get to see, how would the British put it, all the naughty bits.   And yes to confirm it's obvious I've watched it.

Thanks for the update. I've never heard of this before, let alone that it was airing here. I'm sure because it's on a channel that doesn't get a lot of exposure (you should pardon the expression!) it might not have gotten the attention I thought it would. Nice to know there haven't been complaints about it.

I'm one of those people who believe if you don't like something, that's what the remote channel changer is for. Otherwise, let it run and let the viewer decide.

September 28, 2023 5:34 pm  #5

I'm guessing no one will be surprised by this headline.

‘Naked Attraction’ Surges to Become Max’s “Most Popular” Show

September 28, 2023 6:07 pm  #6

This program is very old now. 
I watched it at least 3 or 4 years ago (the UK version) 
While I forget which channel I watched it on (UK 4? BBC 1?) 
I will say this is a program that may be best to air only late night.
Clearly it is not a family friendly show, but it is indeed a friendly Adult entertainment game show. 

I wonder how well the show would do airing on Playboy TV? It fits there better than regular TV stations.

Last edited by Radiowiz (September 28, 2023 6:07 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 28, 2023 7:49 pm  #7

North Americans are late to the party on this one. This show has been on for a while now. Initially the British public complained to their broadcast regulators about the content, but since it airs late, no action was taken.

I'm not a regular viewer but I heard about this show many years ago. And the ratings on Max prove people like nudity!!!!!

September 28, 2023 8:12 pm  #8

Case clothes-ed. Er, I mean closed! 

September 28, 2023 8:14 pm  #9

Actually Canada wasn't late to the party at all.  Produced right here in Toronto has been Naked News which is a news and entertainment show that has been on the air since 1999.  The female anchors read the news and disrobe as the "newscast" continues.  Super Channel ran Naked News in the early going for years. 

Others have imitated this program but Naked News has been the only one to survive. Naked News has been featured on talk shows around the world over the last few decades.   Here are details from wiki..https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naked_News

September 28, 2023 9:19 pm  #10

paterson1 wrote:

Actually Canada wasn't late to the party at all.  Produced right here in Toronto has been Naked News which is a news and entertainment show that has been on the air since 1999.  The female anchors read the news and disrobe as the "newscast" continues.  Super Channel ran Naked News in the early going for years. 

Others have imitated this program but Naked News has been the only one to survive. Naked News has been featured on talk shows around the world over the last few decades.   Here are details from wiki..https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naked_News

Maybe it's just the Americans then. Because both Live with Kelly and Mark, and The View, talked about Naked Attraction this week.

September 28, 2023 9:46 pm  #11

Brad wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Maybe it's just the Americans then. Because both Live with Kelly and Mark, and The View, talked about Naked Attraction this week.

Looks like Naked News did initially get a lot of press 21-23 years ago.  And the 6 daily newscasts were current and had  stories of the day.  Found it interesting that the photo on wiki shows one of their reporters in downtown Toronto in 2008 outside topless.  

Odd but I have never heard that any group or citizen lobbyists had ever complained about Naked News even back when they started up and featured regularly on pay tv and did get considerable press.  

Anyway looks like they are still around and stream daily from their studio in Toronto.