sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 27, 2023 2:18 pm  #1

CFRB Blows It Big Time With Live Trudeau Press Conference

At 2 PM, after an all morning publicity blitz, CFRB broke into their top of the hour newscast to bring listeners the long promised emergency press conference from Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on the Nazi-in-Parliament scandal.

He began with a paragraph in English, then launched into at least a 7-minute speech in French, as is his usual M.O.

The problem? Wherever they were getting the feed, there was no translation, and 99% of the speech was in a language most of their listeners didn't understand. There was no translator provided and no one had any idea whether he was apologizing, resigning or discussing the weather. 

Finally, after at least seven minutes or more of sounding like CJBC, afternoon host Reshmi Nair came on and filled with some pretty vapid and uninformative background, trying to recap the speech, while having no real idea what Trudeau actually said. 

How do you take a bulletin like this live in such an important story and a statement that had a full morning's build-up and not provide a translator? Sloppy and dumb on their part, but I suppose it might have cost Bell money to hire a translator, so they didn't bother.  

Many here have noted how CFRB's "News" Talk moniker is no longer accurate. This is just more proof of how "Ontario's Authoritative News Voice" has developed a never-ending case of laryngitis. What an embarrassment. 

September 27, 2023 2:45 pm  #2

Re: CFRB Blows It Big Time With Live Trudeau Press Conference

The least Bell Media should do is change the call letters.

CFRB jumped the shark a very long time ago.

Last edited by Dial Twister (September 27, 2023 2:45 pm)

September 27, 2023 3:21 pm  #3

Did anyone catch it on CTV? Did they have a translation?

September 27, 2023 3:26 pm  #4

RadioAaron wrote:

I was on CP24. Translator was clear as day.
Bell is letting CFRB ROT while treating CP24 like gold.
One of the rare times where I must admit even a CP24 repeater on CFRB would have made good sense. (for translating the French)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 27, 2023 3:36 pm  #5

What I can't figure out is why they didn't just take CP24 audio. They do it every weekend. Why not just tap into it for the statement? 

September 27, 2023 3:41 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

What I can't figure out is why they didn't just take CP24 audio. They do it every weekend. Why not just tap into it for the statement? 

Yeah, that’s why I asked. I understand not relying on it as a primary source, but bad that nobody thought to switch to it.

September 27, 2023 4:07 pm  #7

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

I was on CP24. Translator was clear as day.
Bell is letting CFRB ROT while treating CP24 like gold.
One of the rare times where I must admit even a CP24 repeater on CFRB would have made good sense. (for translating the French)

There’s some days where it feels like CFTO is also being left to rot while CP24 is being taken care of.

September 27, 2023 5:35 pm  #8

CFRB is a pale, pale, pale shadow of what it used to be.
Lately I have had to wake up at about seven in the morning and have tuned into John Moore.
Is it me or is he becoming so disjointed and unorganized?
Recently he even said something like he knows he has a short attention span.
But honestly he jumped from topic to topic I found it hard to follow where one subject ended and a new one started.
Also Jerry Agar is becoming a caricature of himself.
How many times does he say, "I'm just playing devil's advocate here," or "and how much will that cost taxpayers?"
I wish SCTV were still around to lampoon this sort of stuff.

September 27, 2023 5:37 pm  #9

Realistically, it doesn't matter much.

Nobody's listening.

September 27, 2023 6:00 pm  #10

Dial Twister wrote:

Realistically, it doesn't matter much.

Nobody's listening.

Unfortunately, I hear this decline daily, walking around the block, and making coffee.  It's sad.

September 27, 2023 7:33 pm  #11

Little Johnny's lead in boring, all left wing morning show has solidified their 1.2% market share..........

September 27, 2023 7:46 pm  #12

Let's not talk politics, please.

September 27, 2023 9:13 pm  #13

Who is Peter and why does he sound like such an asshole?

September 28, 2023 1:22 pm  #14

I always found it annoying when they do have translations, but talk over the French in English with the French sound level only slightly lower than the translation.   It was happening a lot during COVID and was driving me crazy.  I think it would be better to just mute the French while the translated English is going so it's easier to concentrate on the message.   We viewers know French is being spoken and at that sound level it's also mostly incomprehensible, so it amounts to confusing background noise.

Last edited by SpinningWheel (September 28, 2023 1:23 pm)

September 28, 2023 3:29 pm  #15

SpinningWheel wrote:

I always found it annoying when they do have translations, but talk over the French in English with the French sound level only slightly lower than the translation.   It was happening a lot during COVID and was driving me crazy.  I think it would be better to just mute the French while the translated English is going so it's easier to concentrate on the message.   We viewers know French is being spoken and at that sound level it's also mostly incomprehensible, so it amounts to confusing background noise.

Exactement!