sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 15, 2023 6:58 am  #1

13 Cdn. Music Legends Join "Rock Of Fame" - Great Radio Names To Host

It's a mega-musical night and it's coming on September 28th. Thirteen Canadian music legends will be inducted into what's being called "The Rock Of Fame," a ceremony from those behind the Walk of Fame. 

Among those rocking the Walk: April WineChilliwack, Glass TigerLee AaronLighthouseLoverboyMax WebsterMichel PagliaroPlatinum BlondePRISM, Rough Trade, The Parachute Club, and Trooper. Many will perform at the ceremony. 

But it's the names of the presenters that really caught my eye. The radio personalities involved in the induction ceremony include Roger Ashby, Marilyn Denis, Alan Cross, John Donabie, David Marsden, Maie Pauts, Ingrid Schumacher, Liz Janik, Stu Jeffries, Terry Dimonte, and Michael Williams, Christopher Ward and Erica Ehm, all former MuchMusic VJs.  

It all takes place in another fitting setting - Massey Hall. 

More details here

September 28, 2023 6:48 am  #2

Re: 13 Cdn. Music Legends Join "Rock Of Fame" - Great Radio Names To Host

This show, which also features some of the country's radio greats like Roger Ashby and a plethora of former MuchMusic VJs acting as hosts, takes place tonight at Massey Hall. 

Thirteen legendary rock acts to be inducted into Canada's Walk of Fame

September 28, 2023 11:18 am  #3

Also worth noting that Michel Pagliaro, who is one of the artists honoured tonight, is going to be performing at the Phoenix Concert Theatre this Friday.  Pag doesn't perform often in Toronto and at 74, nice to see he is still out and playing his music.  He was always an interesting artist that had most success in French, but he did have a string of memorable English hits with Lovin' You Ain't Easy, Rainshowers, Some Sing, Some Dance and the country flavoured What The Hell I Got.  

September 28, 2023 1:11 pm  #4

paterson1 wrote:

Also worth noting that Michel Pagliaro, who is one of the artists honoured tonight, is going to be performing at the Phoenix Concert Theatre this Friday.  Pag doesn't perform often in Toronto and at 74, nice to see he is still out and playing his music.  He was always an interesting artist that had most success in French, but he did have a string of memorable English hits with Lovin' You Ain't Easy, Rainshowers, Some Sing, Some Dance and the country flavoured What The Hell I Got.  

A rare performance by inductees Rough Trade is at The Phoenix on Saturday night.   I won a pair of tickets from them last week, so it's going to be a blast.    The last time I saw them was February 1979 at that legendary bar run by The Gary's, The Edge here in Toronto. Comedian Martin Short did an opening stand up routine, got a drink tossed on him, and decades later on Leno said he'd never do stand up comedy again because of  what happened that night!    I was tuned in to Leno that night and when he brought it up I just about spit out my beer and fell off the couch. 

Edit:

I think we both got our wire's crossed.    Pagliaro is Saturday, Rough Trade is Friday.    Glad I checked.

Last edited by SpinningWheel (September 28, 2023 9:08 pm)

September 28, 2023 6:11 pm  #5

is this being streamed somewhere, or packaged for later use?

September 28, 2023 9:03 pm  #6

splunge wrote:

is this being streamed somewhere, or packaged for later use?

I don't know about streaming, but (believe it or not) one article said something about ABC network showing it on Jan 1 and the CTV / Bell release says "A special broadcast will air at a later date on CTV."

It baffles me that ABC would carry it at all and I can't find the article because it turned up on a search result. 

Last edited by SpinningWheel (September 28, 2023 9:09 pm)

September 28, 2023 9:06 pm  #7

Wanted to find it, but couldn't. Oh well... that's a great lineup.

September 28, 2023 9:14 pm  #8

Never heard that ABC was showing it but I did read that CTV would be having a special incorporating the Rock of Fame and the regular Walk of Fame ceremonies.  I thought this would be in December sometime, but I could be mistaken. 

I was also hoping that it would be streamed but couldn't find anything.  This has gotten some press today on CTV,  Back in the day Much Music would have been all over this.

September 28, 2023 11:14 pm  #9

I think we both got our wire's crossed.    Pagliaro is Saturday, Rough Trade is Friday.    Glad I checked.

Haha, good eye SpinningWheel.  Should be two good shows.  My fav Rough Trade song was All Touch.  Still turn it up on the rare occasion it comes on the radio.  I am sure BOOM must play it, and certainly Q and The Edge.  

Last edited by paterson1 (September 28, 2023 11:17 pm)

September 28, 2023 11:43 pm  #10

Here's the Canadian Press story on how it went, including an unexpected satellite guest. 

"Among the surprises, former "The New Music" host J.D. Roberts made a live video appearance from Washington to trade memories with the evening's co-host Jeanne Beker, who used to work with him on MuchMusic.

"I know that we've lost so many great artists along the road, but to see so many artists play tonight just warms my heart," said Roberts, who now goes by John Roberts on the Fox News Channel."

(I wonder what all the rockers and others in attendance think about his presence on Fox News? Or if that will make the upcoming special?) Anyway, it appears, to paraphrase The Beatles "Mr. Kite," that a splendid time was guaranteed for all. (Although I don't think Henry The Horse danced the waltz at any point...)

Thirteen legendary rock acts inducted into Canada's Walk of Fame