sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 8, 2023 9:13 am  #1

Sad But Tru

Listening to CFRB this morning I have come to realize of how the mighty has fallen.  What is that old saying, “they don’t make ‘em like they used to.” As a broadcasting neophyte I had an opportunity to visit the St. Clair studios in the early 60’s to record an audition.  As this was done as a favour by an ‘RB friend, little did I expect to become a member of the CFRB news department. While Assistant ND Gil Murray was taking me to the booth through the news department, busily working at their desks were Gordon Sinclair, Jack Dennett, Bill Stephenson and several others.  Just returned from his traffic reporting and parking his helicopter was Eddie Luther.  It gave you the impression, things were happening in the city and their news department was deeply involved.  Since the onset of the broadcast industry being kidnapped by large corporations, they have only confirmed to be devoid of any broadcast expertise and skill, whose primary goal is their bottom line.  They dismantled the individual station structure to locate departments centrally.  Eliminated were copy and traffic departments and their major news departments.  The majority of today’s news readers lack any resonance of authority and their pronunciation is abysmal.  Some GTA stations have even reduced the time of their live announcing shifts on weekends.  Perhaps those of us who are now retired and have had the experience of BC radio (before computers) we must realize the corporations have caused the industry to undergo a complete 180.

September 8, 2023 9:19 am  #2

Re: Sad But Tru

CFRB didn't have CP 24 to maintain and care for either though. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.