sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 4, 2023 7:43 am  #1

Britain's Channel 4 Comes To North American Streaming

It's one of the more prominent of British networks, and now, with a VPN, you can watch it here for free. Channel 4 first went on the air in the U.K. in 1982 as a means to widen the choice for U,K, viewers. But outside of specific shows, it's never really been available here. 

You won't get everything on the streaming channels where it's launching but it you're a fan of programs from across the pond, it may be worth a look. It appears they're starting with mostly reality-type shows. 

"4 Adventure will feature a range of reality and documentary programs centred around survival challenges and endurance such as Shipwrecked and The Island With Bear Grylls."

"4 Emergency will give US viewers a unique insight into the frontline of British health and emergency response systems featuring programs such as 24 Hours In A&E, Emergency Helicopter Medics, Emergency Rescue: Air, Land & Sea and Paramedics: On The Frontline (999: On The Frontline in the UK)."

The services launching the offerings include Tubi, Plex and Xumo, all of which are accessible in Canada with a VPN set to the U.S. and all of which are free. 

Channel 4 launches first international channels in US

September 6, 2023 9:43 pm  #2

Re: Britain's Channel 4 Comes To North American Streaming

Through the "magic of the internet" I watch THE Channel 4...alot.  A British public broadcaster with great programming and a nightly newscast that makes North American news outlets look like they air nothing but soft puff stories.  One of their most popular and multi award winning shows: Gogglebox never really took off here: In Canada: "The people's couch" and in the U.S. "Celebrity watch party" an American version of the summer replacement: Celebrity Gogglebox, I'll make a point to watch it live with the rest of the U.K., otherwise I'll stream it the next day.  It's a shame this streaming channel isn't actually Channel 4 or their free streaming service (the largest in the U.K. as they advertise it) but it's a start.  Now if only we could get it in Canada.

September 7, 2023 7:42 am  #3

Dave The OTA guy wrote:

Through the "magic of the internet" I watch THE Channel 4...alot. A British public broadcaster with great programming and a nightly newscast that makes North American news outlets look like they air nothing but soft puff stories. One of their most popular and multi award winning shows: Gogglebox never really took off here: In Canada: "The people's couch" and in the U.S. "Celebrity watch party" an American version of the summer replacement: Celebrity Gogglebox, I'll make a point to watch it live with the rest of the U.K., otherwise I'll stream it the next day. It's a shame this streaming channel isn't actually Channel 4 or their free streaming service (the largest in the U.K. as they advertise it) but it's a start. Now if only we could get it in Canada.

Since you're a fan of Gogglebox, you'll probably be the only one here interested in this article. So this one is just for you!

Gogglebox stars Stephen and Daniel quit Channel 4 show after 10 years

September 7, 2023 8:55 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

The services launching the offerings include Tubi, Plex and Xumo, all of which are accessible in Canada with a VPN set to the U.S. and all of which are free.

I watch Tubi, right here in Ontario, *without* having to use a VPN.

September 7, 2023 9:30 am  #5

Tubi, is indeed, free to watch in Canada, but there are differences in what's accessible from one country to another. I believe the Channel 4 rights deal is only for the U.S. and won't be seen on the menu here. Hence the need for a VPN.

September 7, 2023 10:07 am  #6

RadioActive wrote:

Tubi, is indeed, free to watch in Canada, but there are differences in what's accessible from one country to another. I believe the Channel 4 rights deal is only for the U.S. and won't be seen on the menu here. Hence the need for a VPN.

I just checked. Correct you are, Sir.