sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 3, 2023 3:48 pm  #1

Too much verbosity!

Why do some TV play-by-play feel they can't have any dead air? The incessant commentary by both Matt Devlin and Joe Siddall on the Jays TV broadcast is making it difficult to view the game.  Here is a suggestion, let the viewers watch the game without the need to describe every single detail.  Devlin should stick to basketball.  Too much verbosity.  

September 3, 2023 4:08 pm  #2

Re: Too much verbosity!

We've had this complaint about the radio team, as well, but it's worse on TV - we can see what's happening and you don't need to fill every blank space. Vin Scully was the perfect example of a real pro who knew when to let the pictures do all the talking.  

September 3, 2023 5:00 pm  #3

TV ratings work by the PPM device listening to the audio. While there have been improvements, the encoded tone doesn’t work well when there’s low or no audio. Gotta fill that time or lose ratings.

September 3, 2023 5:12 pm  #4

I guess the announcers feel they have to keep talking or their multimillion dollar salaries will be questioned.
Also there was a time when they really earned their pay because they would be watching the game at the stadium but in the booth they would do their own sound effects like using a wooden rod to hit a wooden block to imitate the ball being hit, then playing recorded crowd cheers etc.
also I could never figure out why during golf coverage do the announcers have to speak in low voices.  They are in a broadcast booth, they are not disturbing anyone.
oh well it's all theatre anyway I guess.