sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 1, 2023 6:29 am  #1

John Moore Gets New Timeslot On CFRB

I want to acknowledge that G121 already posted this, but I thought it was significant enough to warrant its own thread here. 

John Moore announced on Friday that his show was being shifted on NT1010 from 6-10 AM, abandoning the longtime 5-6 AM hour. He explained that Covid had changed people's schedules and that doing the very early morning shift no longer makes sense. His show will cut an hour off of Jerry Agar's time, with the latter still on from 10-noon. The rest of the station's schedule, for the moment, remains the same. 

Moore made clear that the time change isn't the only thing that will be different. Not only will he and his crew get to sleep in for an extra hour (now rising at 3 AM instead of 2) but that the rearranged final hour will allow him to relax the usual format he's been doing and take more phone calls in the final 60 minutes, a throwback to his old afternoon show. 

It brings up several questions:

-Will he still be doing the morning appearance on CP24, which currently takes place around 5:45 AM?

-How does Agar feel about losing an hour of his show?

-Right now, Greg Brady's morning drive show starts at 5:30 AM on 640, after the national "The Shift" ends out of Vancouver. Will new P.D. Mike Bendixen make a change to those hours to compensate and possibly take advantage of the early risers who will likely get a rerun when they tune in CFRB at 5 in the morning?

-Does this also apply to local news in the 5 AM hour or will they go with the Canadian Press network feed? 

-And as G121 pointed out in his post, is this just the start of some non-musical chairs that the new hire at 640 will initiate?

It's a little early in the year for a time change, but this radio-only one kicks in on Tuesday, after Labour Day. So if you get up early and have your radio tuned to 1010, it will be a real "wake-up" call. 

September 1, 2023 6:52 am  #2

Re: John Moore Gets New Timeslot On CFRB

I heard Moore's initial announcement of these changes as well. Currently Agar's show is a "network" show and airs on Newstalk 610 CKTB as well, so I wonder if they'll take the single John Moore "call-in hour" too. (Agar's show apparently is not heard any more on AM800, AM 1150 Hamilton, obviously not on the defunct Newstalk 1290 CJBK, and not on 1150 Kelowna - all stations shown on his 1010 show page, confusingly, suggesting where it can be heard.)

Also, Moore's show news anchor Ashley Legassic is departing and this is her last day. Seems to be of her choosing vs. getting pushed out by Bell, given her Twitter feed mentioning "one last time" and showing insanely early rising hours and Moore being able to talk about it in advance!

September 1, 2023 7:30 am  #3

One less hour of Agar's hate and bombast is the best news of the day.

September 1, 2023 8:32 am  #4

Ashley Legassic said her goodbye in a debrief with Moore after the 8 AM news, although her shift isn't over. She is, in fact, leaving broadcasting and it is of her own choice. She has a very young child and said the hours are making it tough to be both a mom and journalist. So she choose the former. 

As to where she's going? She'll be doing PR for the Financial Services Regulatory Services of Ontario, which describes itself as "an independent regulatory agency created to improve consumer and pension plan beneficiary protections in Ontario." Sounds riveting!

But it's her new boss that's perhaps the most interesting. She'll be reporting to none other than Russ Courtney, who preceded her as the morning anchor on CFRB.

September 1, 2023 9:51 am  #5

Jerry Agar addressed the change just after the 9:30 AM break on Friday morning. He claims he has no issues with the new hours, which will cut 60 minutes from his show. He attributed it to things going on with management, which he was not willing to reveal. 

But he talked about texts from listeners, who accuse the station of "trying to ease him out." His response? 'If they want to ease me out, pay me a whole bunch of money and I'll be happy to go away.'

So far, there's no indication that will happen, but you do have to wonder if a shift reduction to just two hours precipitates more changes somewhere down the line. No other regular on the station, with the exception of the busy Vassy Kapelos, who also has duties on CTV News Channel, is only on for two hours a day. 

September 1, 2023 12:08 pm  #6

Presumably Agar is not getting strong enough ratings.
I'm sure management would never reduce his hours if he were getting top numbers.
Anyway as dieter says an hour less of Agar is just fine.
But overall I'm finding that 1010 is really starting to sound stale, with even John Moore tending to ramble on a bit like he's just filling time.
And for me the weekends are unlistenable.
Just one long informercial for home improvement, buying gold and finding an employment lawyer.
It's useful advice to those who need such info, but if you don't there's no reason to listen.
I suppose the pet show is useful since vets are really expensive and owners can get free advice.
Over at 640 Roy Green can sometimes have some well informed guests, but he tends to push his old school conservative agenda when he's just commenting alone.

September 2, 2023 7:56 am  #7

If Agar's numbers are down, it's because of a very weak, lead-in morning show.
As I'm sure all of the 'experts' here know, the morning show sets up the day.
It's not a surprise that the once 'mighty' RB has a 1% share!

September 2, 2023 10:02 am  #8

peter wrote:

If Agar's numbers are down, it's because of a very weak, lead-in morning show.
As I'm sure all of the 'experts' here know, the morning show sets up the day.
It's not a surprise that the once 'mighty' RB has a 1% share!

re: If Agar's numbers are down, it's because of a very weak, lead-in morning show. 

What an absolute crock of BS .. this is not MAGA land .. 

September 2, 2023 10:30 am  #9

I like John Moore a lot but one thing he does often - too often bothers me.

He constantly laments the hours he works & everyone knows about it

I'm not sure his listeners need to hear that he is exhausted - that he has no life - that he hates his shift and on and on.

He tells us that (I'm a listener) often - very often - far to often.

It's not a good look. He should be more professional and remind himself every pay day that things aren't so bad after all

September 2, 2023 3:48 pm  #10

unclefester wrote:

I'm not sure his listeners need to hear that he is exhausted - that he has no life - that he hates his shift and on and on.

It's not a good look. He should be more professional and remind himself every pay day that things aren't so bad after all

I find one thing he does every single day irritating, and self-serving, but I won't say what it is because I don't want to be attacked by the woke crowd.

September 2, 2023 3:49 pm  #11

Walter wrote:

I find one thing he does every single day irritating, and self-serving, but I won't say what it is because I don't want to be attacked by the woke crowd.

Then honestly ... why even post?

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

September 2, 2023 4:05 pm  #12

Jody Thornton wrote:

Got it in one.

September 2, 2023 5:17 pm  #13

Dial Twister wrote:

Jody Thornton wrote:

Got it in one.

No one "got you" in one.  How could anyone?  You never actually posted what bothered you.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

September 2, 2023 6:45 pm  #14

Walter wrote:

unclefester wrote:

Because & only because he's often part of my morning routine I have a strong suspicion I know what you're referring to.

I'm betting it has to do with a certain segment of society & how it is sometimes mistreated in his eyes.  

A segment he has first hand knowledge of.

In other words gay rights - gay issues. 

Now that hasn't stopped me from listening to & enjoying Mr. Moore but he does spend a lot of time on the topic IMO.

Close?

September 2, 2023 11:00 pm  #15

unclefester wrote:

In other words gay rights - gay issues. 

Now that hasn't stopped me from listening to & enjoying Mr. Moore but he does spend a lot of time on the topic IMO.

Close?

Well if that's what Dial had to complain about, then John is NOT the problem here.  Anyway, I just figure if you're going to post something, instead of just alluding to it, instead, grow a set and post it.  But also be ready and OK with accepting the consequences of your words.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

September 3, 2023 6:56 am  #16

What does the shift change do to their morning "Breakfast Wrap" that they put online? That primarily consisted of an edited version of the 5-6 AM hour, with the thinking being most people aren't up that early, so they can catch up on what they didn't hear. Are they still going to bother?

September 3, 2023 7:12 am  #17

With the messed-up way quotes are being posted by Boardhost, I don't think you understood that I was agreeing with you, Jody.

Indeed, why did @Walter post if he wouldn't discuss the reason?

September 3, 2023 7:47 am  #18

Dial Twister wrote:

With the messed-up way quotes are being posted by Boardhost, I don't think you understood that I was agreeing with you, Jody.

Indeed, why did @Walter post if he wouldn't discuss the reason?

No I didn't get the agreement/sarcasm part.  For that I am truly sorry Dial Twister.  Sincerely, that was my bad.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

September 3, 2023 8:13 am  #19

No harm. No foul.

September 3, 2023 10:08 am  #20

Dial Twister wrote:

No harm. No foul.

Isn't that what they used to say about people who owned trained falcons? 

"No arm, no fowl." 

And yes, I apologize in advance.

September 3, 2023 7:49 pm  #21

A quick check of the updated CFRB website reveals what's taking John Moore's vacated 5-6 AM hour. It's a reroll of the best of Vassy Kapelos. I enjoy her show, but I'm not sure it's exactly what I want to hear at 5 in the morning if I'm getting up early to go to work or get the kids ready for school. 

September 4, 2023 9:38 pm  #22

RadioActive wrote:

It's a reroll of the best of Vassy Kapelos. I enjoy her show, but I'm not sure it's exactly what I want to hear at 5 in the morning if I'm getting up early to go to work or get the kids ready for school. 

Yes, bit of an odd choice, but if it's up to slicing up the previous day's 1010 broadcast content for that slot, I suppose she's one of the stronger assets.

As much as I dislike television simulcasting on radio and the 1010 weekend mornings have definitely lost their charm without a live radio host, perhaps a simulcast of CP24 for at least the 5:30 am-6:00 am slot makes more sense in terms of "start your day" weather news, breaking news from overnight, etc.  Maybe they don't want listeners to hear that and just flip over to the TV instead.

September 5, 2023 6:57 am  #23

Tiffany Hensby was back as morning newscaster with the departure of Ashley Legassic last week. Whether she's the permanent replacement remains to be seen - or at least heard. 

Meanwhile, Moore "apologized" to early risers for the new timeslot, and hoped they'd understand that change is inevitable. He still did the "5 Things You Need To Know" off the top of the show at 6, a leftover feature from the earlier hour.

September 5, 2023 8:12 am  #24

I will stick around after Moore finishes at ten today, just to hear what Agar has to say about his reduced showtime, if anything.  I doubt he's too happy about it.  He's very thin-skinned, and has a hard time keeping his tongue when something ticks him off.

Last edited by Walter (September 5, 2023 8:14 am)

September 5, 2023 8:42 am  #25

I will honestly be surprised if he says anything, but we'll see. He's not going to bite the hand that feeds him. 

September 5, 2023 9:39 am  #26

It's nice to hear Moore doing a different style of show in the later hour, but it was pretty cheesy for him to devote an entire segment to Mary Berg, who is debuting a new show on CTV this week (taking over for Marilyn Denis.) 

I guess I shouldn't be surprised but this kind of naked shilling for Bell Media is somewhat embarrassing.

And by the way, is anyone else as creeped out by Berg's endlessly cheerful disposition as I am?

September 5, 2023 9:57 am  #27

Not really surprised all the promotion on Bell.  Marilyn's show was popular did well in the ratings and they are counting on Mary's new show will do as well. 

I do agree her constant bubbly personality is a bit off putting after a while.  However on the new show she will likely have interviews that will require her to tone it down a bit, or at least we hope.

She is a smart lady with degrees in History and English  and a masters in Information Sciences, in addition to being a pretty good chef. 

Just not sure her current persona has the depth to host a talk show.  Marilyn Denis had this in spades.   

September 5, 2023 10:11 am  #28

This is all about employee accommodation, which has become requisite in modern urban offices today. Try that in a small town. Or a rail yard or one of the many job sites with an early start. This is an opportunity, to my mind, for Bendixen to put in a hot talker at 9am .. someone who can deliver a compelling introductory monologue .. and steal all the listeners who are weary of hearing Moore rewire news events. But heck, 640 runs their ads pretty much concurrent in time with 1010 so it's doubtful they are much interested in gaining listeners.
We should all give props to CBC's Piya in this regard though; telling her employer how it's going to be and still remain on the payroll 
(she recently filled in)

September 5, 2023 6:24 pm  #29

RadioActive wrote:

Tiffany Hensby was back as morning newscaster with the departure of Ashley Legassic last week. Whether she's the permanent replacement remains to be seen - or at least heard.

Funny, as last week Moore reported that once the news about Ashley Legassic's departure was out, Moore immediately got a text from Hendsbee - "Nope, not doing it!" with reference to the crazy early-morning hours and the fact that Hendbee knew she might be the logical choice of who was asked back. As you say, whether she's temporary or permanent, we'll see.

Moore also mentioned he's doing in-studio spots with the CP24 morning show folks at 5:45 am now for the TV broadcast, before heading back to 1010's studios.

September 6, 2023 12:31 am  #30

There's another chain reaction from Moore moving to 6 AM. 

CKTB used to take Agar's show at 9 AM and they obviously can't do that anymore.

So, according to 610's website, they extended morning man Tim Denis' show an extra hour, meaning he's now on from 5AM-10AM - a five hour shift. That's a long time to be on air doing a daily talk show.