sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 31, 2023 10:12 am  #1

Decisions Like This Make You Wonder Why We Have A Competition Tribunal

This is simply stunning to me and it's more evidence of who really runs things in this country. The nerve of a watchdog trying to stop a communications deal that's clearly bad for Canadians. This kind of decision may well ensure they never do that again. 

Commissioner of Competition to pay Rogers and Shaw millions over attempt to block merger

August 31, 2023 10:20 am  #2

Re: Decisions Like This Make You Wonder Why We Have A Competition Tribunal

The deal has had some benefits so far.

Videotron has been aggressive with marketing Freedom's prices and service improvements leading to significantly better plans from the big guys.

Additionally, it has broken the Bell/Telus/Rogers collusion to not provide service on the subway.

August 31, 2023 10:54 am  #3

Yes and Rogers has fully taken advantage of it being the only one who can provide that subway service. Interesting how that turned out, despite its insistence that it's "working" with other providers on the issue.

I don't see Freedom making much of an impact yet, although it's early days, so I'd like to think it will eventually help.

But make no mistake - the Rogers/Bell/ (and to a lesser extent) Telus lobbyist cabal is still going strong and I see few signs of anything the CRTC or the government has done to break their stranglehold on everything media/phone/Internet in this country.

The new CRTC Commissioner insists she cares about consumers. We shall see. So far - and to be fair, it's early on in her reign - I haven't seen much evidence of that. 

August 31, 2023 11:33 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

Yes and Rogers has fully taken advantage of it being the only one who can provide that subway service. Interesting how that turned out, despite its insistence that it's "working" with other providers on the issue.

They are. Bell and Telus are expected to be up and running soon.

August 31, 2023 11:44 am  #5

They are complaining bitterly that Rogers is taking advantage of the situation and they're having issues coming to terms on anything. I'm assuming they'll eventually be forced to work things out, but they're nowhere near that yet. 

"Although Rogers has vowed to work with the other carriers to grant them access to the network, the companies appear to be deadlocked, with each side accusing the other of refusing to negotiate."

This is from just four days ago.

Rogers calls Telus ‘hypocritical’ in CRTC filing as dispute over TTC wireless network continues

September 1, 2023 2:16 pm  #6

This is from Open Media, an advocacy group that speaks on behalf of consumers against the Big Phone/Cable giants. These words are all theirs, not mine, although I can't help but agree with what they said.

-------------------

The Competition Tribunal just ruled that Canadians OWE Rogers $13 million for daring to try to stop their competition-busting deal to buy Shaw.

This is UNBELIEVABLE. Our Competition Act is so broken that not only can we not stop Rogers becoming Canada’s single largest telecom, now our regulator and YOUR taxes are being forced to PAY Rogers for even questioning their monopolistic rule... 

The first thing we need to do is FIX our Competition Act so a regulator can NEVER be sued this way...

Rogers’ bid to buy Shaw was approved despite everything that Minister Champagne said about championing affordability, allowing Rogers to become the single largest telecom company in the country.

At the time, we said that this will result in even higher prices, fewer jobs, and less telecom innovation in the years to come.

And we were right. On top of taking $13 million from Canadians for daring to question the Rogers-Shaw deal, Rogers is now asking to HIKE the wholesale rates for Quebecor — just months after Rogers sold Freedom Mobile to Quebecor in an attempt to make it look like their deal to buy Shaw wasn’t going to kill competition.

You’d think Rogers would have the decency to wait a bit longer before making obvious they’re never going to tolerate a fourth national phone provider. You’d think they’d pretend their promises to help Quebecor bring cheaper phone service to Canadians were worth the paper they were printed on. But when you’re as comfortable with your monopoly lifestyle as Rogers is, I guess not.

We knew the Rogers-Shaw deal wouldn’t result in more competition, we told our government that it would only strangle it further, and just a handful of months later it has already begun. 

We have to get our Competition Act fixed NOW. Real investigative powers, a tough mandate to protect and PROMOTE competition, and no right for companies to sue Canada for doing the bare minimum of protecting competition. 

Without strong competition laws we are at the mercy of megaliths like Rogers. 

September 1, 2023 5:21 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

They are complaining bitterly that Rogers is taking advantage of the situation and they're having issues coming to terms on anything. I'm assuming they'll eventually be forced to work things out, but they're nowhere near that yet. 

"Although Rogers has vowed to work with the other carriers to grant them access to the network, the companies appear to be deadlocked, with each side accusing the other of refusing to negotiate."

This is from just four days ago.

Rogers calls Telus ‘hypocritical’ in CRTC filing as dispute over TTC wireless network continues

It would not have happened at all before, though.

This particular consumer has had two wins from this deal already, and I've never had the option for Shaw services at home in the first place. 

These companies had very little overlap. Plenty of reasons to hate the merger, but consumer choice isn't one of them.

September 2, 2023 4:30 pm  #8

Maybe the person from the Competitoin Bureau who made the ill advised decision to take this to the courts should be fired