sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 27, 2023 11:48 pm  #1

Sunday evening sports on 680 City News

I realize we've stopped being shocked at how job cuts have turned stations like CFRB and City News 680 into complete jokes.
   But while driving back to Toronto on Sunday evening, I listened to 680 for awhile to get the traffic reports. I realized I was also hearing the same sportscast every 30 minutes. So at 8:45 pm, listeners were being told to believe that Victor Hovland was still leading in the final round of the PGA Tour Championship when it was obviously a bit too dark in Atlanta for that to still be happening. On the LPGA Tour, Brooke Henderson was 10 shots off the lead every half hour.
   Pathetic is one word for this. I'm sure there are others.

August 28, 2023 12:26 am  #2

Re: Sunday evening sports on 680 City News

This is similar (but also different) to what's going on at CFTO. For the second weekend in a row, their 6 & 11 PM newscasts had ad libbed anchor weather. This never seems to work because it's obvious the reader has no idea what they're talking about and it appears they haven't seen the graphics before, so they're totally lost and it sounds like it. 

My guess is 680's sportscast person either didn't show on Sunday or there isn't one, once all the action wraps up for the night. So they repeat the same one over and over, hoping no one will notice. How they could possibly air something that dated, though, would perhaps indicate someone plugged in the wrong number for the version of the taped report in the computer and it was aired accidentally. 

Plus, the few people on duty on a weekend evening are busy with other things, no one listens internally and so the mistake keeps getting made over and over. I've heard this before with stations that take The Canadian Press syndicated news report at the top of the hour. AM 640 once played a newscast that was several days (not even hours!) old, with stories that happened two days ago, including a sports item that the Jays were playing a team that had already left town. No one noticed - although I did. 

I even phoned the station to try to tell them, but this was on a Sunday morning and there was no there to take the report. So it just kept happening.

I can't say that's what took place at 680, but that's my guess.

August 28, 2023 1:00 am  #3

As long as the shareholders are happy, I guess that's all that counts. 

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

August 28, 2023 4:42 pm  #4

If you're like me, you learned a long time ago that sending a comment to CFTO or CFRB about terrible news or sports coverage -- especially since all the job slashing -- you would also be pleasantly surprised that City News 680 is different.  I sent in my comments about Sunday evening's sports reports and received the following reply from the news director, Amber Leblanc:   

Thanks for letting me know about the sports last night. I went back and listened.  For some reason that I'm in the process of determining, the same hourly report was continually played yesterday evening and then updated for the overnights (when we do go to tape).  But that is 100% not our standard - our sports from 5a-12:30a are live all day and like I said, I'm trying to figure out what happened last night and why the sports 1) weren't live and 2) not updated properly with the golf scores.  My sincerest apologies for this - 680 prides itself on being live 24-7 and being a source of current and accurate information and this did not hold up to our standards!!   Take care and thanks again for flagging this!! 

Last edited by dieter (August 28, 2023 6:32 pm)

August 28, 2023 4:51 pm  #5

dieter wrote:

If you're like me, you learned a long time ago that sending a comment to CFTO or CFRB about terrible news or sports coverage -- especially since all the job slashing -- you would also be pleasantly surprised that City News 680 is different.  I sent in my comments about Sunday evening's sports reports and received the following reply from the news director, Amber Leblanc.    

Thanks for letting me know about the sports last night. I went back and listened.  For some reason that I'm in the process of determining, the same hourly report was continually played yesterday evening and then updated for the overnights (when we do go to tape).  But that is 100% not our standard - our sports from 5a-12:30a are live all day and like I said, I'm trying to figure out what happened last night and why the sports 1) weren't live and 2) not updated properly with the golf scores.  My sincerest apologies for this - 680 prides itself on being live 24-7 and being a source of current and accurate information and this did not hold up to our standards!!   Take care and thanks again for flagging this!! 

Credit to the news director for personally replying to you. Hope she figures out what happened.

August 28, 2023 5:23 pm  #6

Wow!!!  I am impressed that such a senior person at Rogers got back to you.
I have left numerous messages at CityNews in Ottawa three years ago and am still waiting for a reply.

August 28, 2023 5:57 pm  #7

While I compliment her on her response, one of these things is not like the other. 

"680 prides itself on being live 24-7"

"Updated for the overnights (when we do go to tape)."

You can't say you're live 24-7, and then in the same paragraph admit one of your main segments is on tape. 

Just saying...

August 28, 2023 9:12 pm  #8

Not really, I was kind of being facetious. But what if there's some breaking sports news overnight - a death of a famous athlete, an injury update about a Blue Jay or something unexpected? Even a late night west coast ball game that goes into extra innings and has an effect on Toronto's playoff hopes? (The Seattle Mariners, for example.) That can certainly happen, but the sports guy can't update it, if there's no live sports guy to do it. 

My point is it's not totally live 24-7 if it's not totally live 24-7. But no, it wouldn't make any economic sense to have a live sports, business or weather person at 3 AM in most cases. 

August 29, 2023 6:59 pm  #9

RadioActive wrote:

My point is it's not totally live 24-7 if it's not totally live 24-7. . 

I think you are really over thinking this.   CityNews 680 actually does do NEWS live, Traffic reports live, etc.  News stories most days are pre-recorded on any news station, and under your logic they should have those done live 24-7 as well?  With Newscasts and traffic being live around the clock... pardon me if I ignore sports reports and business not having a human in the seat 24/7.   The fact they have a radio newsroom staffed is more than any others alone.   The fact they are hosting on air live news coverage and traffic reports 24/7... that should be commended and is true to what matters.   Live 24-7 is in fact true even if a few reports get recorded during an hour.  

Last edited by radiokid (August 29, 2023 7:06 pm)

August 29, 2023 7:15 pm  #10

I was taking them literally - it's not live unless the news readers are live. But to be fair, I wasn't taking the fact seriously. As someone who's worked for two coast-to-coast news services over the years, I fully understand why voiceovers and reporter wraps are on tape. They mostly have to be, especially the ones from American sources. 

But I don't fundamentally disagree with you in the long run, and yes, it is nice to have someone live all night long. CFRB used to do that (John Elston - where have you gone? Actually, he now drives a school bus for a living) but those days are long, long over. Not even their programming is live overnight anymore. 

I remember the great Fred Cripps was at CKEY, and would come in and do overnight news just as I was leaving after my shift. Now, the only Cripps we have in the city is perhaps a street gang. 

680 is the only GTA station that has anyone live overnight. I wish more stations did.    

That said, I certainly hope the Florida TV and radio stations that are bracing for the hurricane have all hands on deck 24 hours in a row. They're going to be needed over the next few days.

August 29, 2023 11:06 pm  #11

RadioActive wrote:

Not really, I was kind of being facetious. But what if there's some breaking sports news overnight - a death of a famous athlete, an injury update about a Blue Jay or something unexpected? Even a late night west coast ball game that goes into extra innings and has an effect on Toronto's playoff hopes? (The Seattle Mariners, for example.) That can certainly happen, but the sports guy can't update it, if there's no live sports guy to do it. 

My point is it's not totally live 24-7 if it's not totally live 24-7. But no, it wouldn't make any economic sense to have a live sports, business or weather person at 3 AM in most cases. 

If Tiger Woods gets hit by a bus at 3 in the morning and dies the news people will probably handle it and put it in the first block.  I think if an important west coast game goes late the sports person stays.  I think I noticed that during the hockey playoffs.

August 29, 2023 11:08 pm  #12

RadioActive wrote:

That said, I certainly hope the Florida TV and radio stations that are bracing for the hurricane have all hands on deck 24 hours in a row. They're going to be needed over the next few days.

They always do.  You should listen sometime.