sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 20, 2016 2:30 pm  #1

CRTC chair: Local news is more important than profits

You can only imagine the cursing going on in boardrooms of the big three as they hear JP Blais have the temerity to challenge their quest for profits over carrying out conditions of licence. But that’s what the man in charge had to say at a Commons Heritage Committee on Thursday.

“We do not believe that local television news can be allowed to fall by the wayside simply because it doesn't look good on the balance sheet. The marketplace of products, revenues and profits is not the only marketplace that counts,” Blais told the politicos, as heads likely exploded at Rogers, Bell and Shaw. “Far from it. There is also the marketplace of ideas and information. That marketplace trades in a kind of wealth that supports every aspect of our Canadian society.”

CRTC chair: Local news is more important than profits

What the CP article linked above doesn’t say is included in a copy of the remarks published on the CRTC website. And that is that more regulatory changes are coming for the Big Guys during a major hearing next month.  

“…certain implementation elements are still before us,” Blais noted. “To implement these changes, we must establish new conditions of licence for television broadcasters. In November, we will hold public hearings to renew the licences held by large ownership groups...For the English-language ownership groups — Bell, Corus and Rogers — the hearing begins on November 28 in the National Capital Region.”

Hmm, maybe Guy Laurence got out just in time. 

October 20, 2016 7:06 pm  #2

Re: CRTC chair: Local news is more important than profits

Typical CRTC.... TV you need to do NEWS because it's important, screw profits, BUT those rules we had to protect you from American programming so you can make money..... Piss on 'em.

October 20, 2016 7:15 pm  #3

This reversal is Long Long overdue.  I just hope this shift spreads to radio as well.   In large markets where All News Formats are available listeners at least have an option to find out what is going on in their communities.  In smaller markets there are no options.  Example, Barrie where Corus recently gassed the entire News Department.  Broadcasters have an obligation to the market they serve to provide more than a juke box service in their never ending quest to save another buck.

October 21, 2016 11:23 am  #4

So what will the 'see our tea sea' do about it?  Gummmmm the corporations into submission?  Preposterous.  They don't have even one measly ball between them.  As such...they created the problem.  Pretenders all.

October 21, 2016 12:00 pm  #5

What RadioQuiz said !!

RadioQuiz wrote:

Typical CRTC.... TV you need to do NEWS because it's important, screw profits, BUT those rules we had to protect you from American programming so you can make money..... Piss on 'em.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

October 21, 2016 4:39 pm  #6

ig wrote:

What RadioQuiz said !!

RadioQuiz wrote:

The sim sub is not welcome in my home. Go find some other way to make money. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 21, 2016 8:41 pm  #7

Hmmm...when I left work after my shift today I was still employed as News Director of what many would consider an 'option' in Barrie. And, as far as I know, I'll be back there again in the morning letting people know what's happening in this community. Debate the decisions Corus has made all you want, but please, they are not the only game in town.

Just a Radio Fan wrote:

This reversal is Long Long overdue.  I just hope this shift spreads to radio as well.   In large markets where All News Formats are available listeners at least have an option to find out what is going on in their communities.  In smaller markets there are no options.  Example, Barrie where Corus recently gassed the entire News Department.  Broadcasters have an obligation to the market they serve to provide more than a juke box service in their never ending quest to save another buck.