sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 25, 2023 11:21 am  #1

Do You Get Your Cable TV By Comwave? Maybe Not Much Longer

Comwave is one of those companies that provides Internet, home phone, long distance and TV signals. If you're a subscriber to the latter, you may soon need to look elsewhere. The CRTC has granted an application from Comwave Networks to revoke its licence to distribute TV programming, after a company request. 

It's not immediately clear why they decided to get out of the business, although their packages are still being offered on their website. The area involves a wide swath of the province - including the GTA, Hamilton, Kitchener, London, Ottawa, Windsor and their surrounding areas.

Just out of curiosity, I called Comwave to ask them about their TV offerings and the guy who answered the phone (Yes! Someone actually answered the phone!) was stunned to hear the news. I sent him the URL and he's planning to contact the office to see what this is all about. Sad when the staff that sells the stuff is the last to know! No word on exactly when the service goes dark. 

CRTC Release

August 25, 2023 12:02 pm  #2

Re: Do You Get Your Cable TV By Comwave? Maybe Not Much Longer

They are not shutting their TV service.  They are simply under the number of subscribers to require a license from the CRTC.  They will operate as an exempt service until they ever reach the number of TV subscribers that would require them to apply for a license again.  Less CRTC administration for them if the operate as an exempt service.

August 25, 2023 12:09 pm  #3

LOSat wrote:

They are not shutting their TV service.  They are simply under the number of subscribers to require a license from the CRTC.  They will operate as an exempt service until they ever reach the number of TV subscribers that would require them to apply for a license again.  Less CRTC administration for them if the operate as an exempt service.

Does this mean that they will operate with NO SIM SUB???

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 25, 2023 12:57 pm  #4

Thanks for the update. It didn't quite make sense in the form I read. I'm still not entirely sure what it all means, other than it just sounds like more bureaucratic red tape.

August 27, 2023 12:04 pm  #5

I considered Comwave years ago, and thought since they advertised so much they must be alright.  However researching a little and reading comments from past and current customers, I took a pass. If they are not hitting minimum numbers of subscribers to require a license, can't be a good thing no matter how you look at it.

Haven't seen a Comwave ad on TV for a few months now.  Last time was on CHCH TV on one of their midday retro shows.