sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 22, 2023 1:03 pm  #1

CRTC: No New Radio Station Applicants Will Be Heard For Two Years

If I read this announcement from the CRTC correctly, they've essentially put a freeze on any future applications for radio licences in Canada for the next two years. 

The reason: all the headaches surrounding the implementation of Bill C-11, designed to force U.S. streaming services and other Internet concerns to produce Canadian content, among other things.

It doesn't mean companies can't technically apply for a new station in any market that might have room, just that the Commission will "defer" those requests for at least two years while they try to sort out this new law, which most expect to be pretty complicated. The CRTC calls it "modernizing" the Canadian broadcasting system.

The new rule also applies to most complaints, but won't stop any sales or changes of ownership requests of stations, with those approvals (or disapprovals as the case may be) being heard as time permits. 

"The Commission does not expect to receive any such applications or complaints during this period, unless exceptional circumstances can be demonstrated that would justify, with supporting evidence when filing the request, the need to process them. Upon presentation of such justification, the Commission will analyze the justification and make a decision regarding the processing of the application. Such applications will be excluded from normal service standards and will be processed as time and resources permit."

I guess that may answer my question posed in a previous post about Cabin Radio in Yellowknife, which has been doing amazing work on the fire disaster there, and has been trying to get an FM licence from the CRTC for several years. 

August 22, 2023 7:06 pm  #2

Re: CRTC: No New Radio Station Applicants Will Be Heard For Two Years

This is amazing.

The commission that is going to somehow wedge Cancon into YouTube and Spotify, as well as arbitrate what is or isn't a "news" organization is completely abdicating their much simpler day-to-day responsibilities while they figure it all out.

Not only that...

The Commission is also of the view that such a deferral will not cause any undue prejudice in general.

They're fully admitting that not doing their jobs for two years will be just fine.

When they're right they're right.

Last edited by RadioAaron (August 22, 2023 7:09 pm)

August 22, 2023 8:18 pm  #3

Since the CRTC seems to be indicating their day to day attention will be other places for the next few years, wonder if some operators will take a few liberties?    

August 22, 2023 8:48 pm  #4

paterson1 wrote:

Since the CRTC seems to be indicating their day to day attention will be other places for the next few years, wonder if some operators will take a few liberties?    

Thought that too.

The big guys like Bell and Rogers will absolutely not let their media divisions do that as there's too much at stake with their more important divisions, but I can see small smaller operators sensing an opportunity for sure.

Last edited by RadioAaron (August 22, 2023 8:59 pm)

August 22, 2023 8:58 pm  #5

RadioAaron wrote:

This is amazing.

The commission that is going to somehow wedge Cancon into YouTube and Spotify, as well as arbitrate what is or isn't a "news" organization is completely abdicating their much simpler day-to-day responsibilities while they figure it all out.

Not only that...

The Commission is also of the view that such a deferral will not cause any undue prejudice in general.

They're fully admitting that not doing their jobs for two years will be just fine.

The corollary to this is that they have two years to completely screw up setting the new rules that will govern broadcasting in the future. Given their track record and how poorly written Bill C-11 is, I'm dreading to see what they come up with.

August 22, 2023 9:02 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

This is amazing.

Not only that...

The corollary to this is that they have two years to completely screw up setting the new rules that will govern broadcasting in the future. Given their track record and how poorly written Bill C-11 is, I'm dreading to see what they come up with.

Good point.

Also, I think it's worth noting that roasting the CRTC does not necessarily make one anti-regulation. In fact, those who lean towards more regulation should be the most upset at the absolute ineptitude of the commission. 

September 7, 2023 7:13 am  #7

With decision making being shut down I got wondering where that will leave Bell’s 580, 820 and 1150. Since the CRTC will not approve purchases of these stations, will Bell keep them going?

September 7, 2023 8:37 am  #8

Ownership changes are exempt from the 2 year moratorium.
CRTC 2023-278
It should be noted that the Commission will continue to process applications for changes in the ownership or effective control of radio undertakings (asset or share transactions).

September 7, 2023 10:52 am  #9

CRTC can process a sale decision in 90 days or so.  Should they decide to...