sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 22, 2023 8:35 pm  #2

Re: Johnny Cash Canada Trust

That was great.  Thanks!

August 22, 2023 9:44 pm  #3

i don't remember this at all. 

August 22, 2023 11:12 pm  #4

I remember that.  They were the first ones I had ever heard of but my city didn't have one at our branch..

August 23, 2023 12:03 am  #5

cash wrote:

I remember the commercial very well! I was very young. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 23, 2023 7:20 am  #6

cash wrote:

Canada Trust acquired Waterloo Trust in 1968 and Waterloo Trust's treasurer, Merv Lahn of Hanover, ON was appointed president of the merged company two or three years later.  At the time, Johnny Cash' career was managed out of London, ON which by coincidence was where the merged trust company's offices were located.    The promotion was a natural but a few years later head office moved out of London, to Toronto.    No one in Toronto knew (or cared) about Johnny Cash, and of course very few Toronto retail branches could as a practical matter accommodate a drive-thru teller like K-W and London did.     The promotion was pulled.     

Youngsters like Cash missed out on it.     Pity.    

August 23, 2023 7:25 am  #7

They had these at what was then called The Permanent. Ironically, The Permanent didn't live up to its name and was taken over by Canada Trust. I remember using these machines a long time ago, but they didn't last long. 

August 23, 2023 10:04 am  #8

I worked for The Permanent in the late 1970s. Its official name was Canada Permanent Trust Company and it went back to at least the 1920s ... did a search to see what year it began but wasn't finding anything definitive. It was still a separate company when Canada Trust brought in those machines, but the companies merged in 1986 so that's when the machines would have started appearing at Permanent locations. Here's another ad for them ... I thought it was a great concept and ad campaign.

August 23, 2023 10:38 am  #9

cash wrote:

Hey Cash, are you by any chance related to the late, great Johnny Cash?