sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 17, 2023 2:13 pm  #1

Will This Canadian City Have No Local Radio Left After Friday?

It has a population of around 22,000 people. And all of them have until Friday to get out of town. It's actually amazing to me the city of Yellowknife in the Northwest Territories has as many as five radio stations serving such a small number of people. (Although I'm sure many in more outlying towns can get the signals, as well.)

By now, I'm sure you've heard that a mass evacuation of Yellowknife has been ordered by the government, as an out-of-control wildfire burns its way straight towards the city, with visions of the terrifying carnage in Maui dancing through many minds. Officials have given the populace until Friday to get out and stay out as the flames head straight towards them. 

So what happens to the radio stations there? Do they sign off, since the people who work there have to go as well? Do they put them all on auto-pilot, even though there won't be anyone left to listen? Perhaps they can broadcast remotely from somewhere else, as some stations did during Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans. Or do the media folks stay until the bitter end, broadcasting to whoever wasn't able or willing to make it out, providing as much news and vital info as possible?

I tuned in and out of all these stations on Thursday over Streema and was surprised to hear - with the exception of the local CBC outlet - everyone playing music and commercials and carrying on as always. You might think if your entire city was being evacuated, you'd put on special emergency programming. But instead, it sounded like business as usual. That strikes me as very odd, given the circumstances. 

Imagine turning on your radio and hearing no local stations on the air. That could conceivably happen by Friday in one small Canadian town. It will be interesting to see what they're up to - or if they're still on the air - by the deadline. 

August 17, 2023 11:38 pm  #2

Re: Will This Canadian City Have No Local Radio Left After Friday?

You couldn't have listened for long.  Yes, they're playing music but the local stations have been carrying the media conferences and providing all of the info you would expect and I have heard the mayor doing live interviews on each of the stations I have listened to.  It was interesting to hear the CBC Radio One hourly national news focus exclusively on Yellowknife a couple of times last night.  It sounded like a local newscast but it wasn't.

August 18, 2023 9:31 am  #3

The loss of FB news is proving to be a factor......

NWT wildfires: Residents threatened by fire and lack of local news

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/nwt-yellowknife-wildfires-facebook-ban

Last edited by andysradio (August 18, 2023 9:32 am)

August 18, 2023 10:12 am  #4

I was listening again on and off Friday morning. Once again, I'm surprised how many stations are still playing some music, while providing info and interviews between the records. You'd think they'd go wall-to-wall with news coverage, as a fire approaches that could completely destroy everything in their city over the weekend. 

Maybe they simply don't have the staff and I'm expecting too much from such a small market. But my random tune-ins heard more music on the traditionally formatted FM stations, which in my mind isn't what they should be doing during a mass exodus emergency. 

Only the CBC is doing wall-to-wall coverage, and are providing the service I'd expect if I lived there. (One of their hosts is in Yellowknife, the other on location in Calgary, where many refugees are being flown.)

On Friday, 640's Alex Pierson talked to Ollie Williams, a reporter from Cabin Radio, who is reporting while also being one of the evacuees, so they're trying. He addressed the Facebook issue referred to above and admitted it's a problem, but that users have been taking screen grabs of their site and reposting them, which apparently bypasses the censorship. He says the ingenuity of the locals continues to impress him. 

If most of these stations are still at it on the weekend, I continue to wonder who they're broadcasting to. I hope they all get out safe.  

August 18, 2023 3:30 pm  #5

andysradio wrote:

The loss of FB news is proving to be a factor......

NWT wildfires: Residents threatened by fire and lack of local news

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/nwt-yellowknife-wildfires-facebook-ban

Tit for tat time:

Canada demands Meta lift news ban to allow wildfire info sharing

August 18, 2023 3:40 pm  #6

No question CBC is doing the best job of covering this, going wall to wall without interruption.

CBC Radio 1 In Yellowknife

August 18, 2023 4:50 pm  #7

God bless those being effected by the fires , but , with all the sites the internet has to offer, I really wouldn't rely on a social media site to have updates of the situation if it was my ass in the line of fire. I understand people will be posting on there for family and friends to keep up but for an actual boots on the ground reporting of what's happening, anything Meta seems redundant thanks to the recent legislation. Your opinion may vary. 

August 18, 2023 4:57 pm  #8

As for the internet, you can bet it is not working to well up there with so many on the move trying to get service. Also, it’s 1000kms between Yellowknife and Peace River. I bet there are many dead spots along the route. Here’s hoping they are safe

Last edited by andysradio (August 19, 2023 7:07 pm)

August 18, 2023 5:53 pm  #9

Only one of the stations is commercial. In a market of 22,000 with a high cost of living you'd be lucky to be able to afford two announcers

August 18, 2023 6:11 pm  #10

In the meantime, the situation is also growing steadily worse in Kelowna, where wildfires fueled by strong winds are threatening residential neighbourhoods and thousands of people are being forced to evacuate. 

AM 1150 is Kelowna's news/talk station and regular programming has been pre-empted to provide fire updates - https://www.iheartradio.ca/am-1150

CBC Radio One in BC is offering live programming across the province to cover the Kelowna situation and are taking calls from those on the front lines of the fire. It's compelling listening - https://www.cbc.ca/lite/radio/live-radio/british-columbia/kelowna

August 18, 2023 6:40 pm  #11

CJCD in Yellowknife (True North Radio/Vista) had a live DJ in the evening hours on Wednesday night, and even did an extensive live interview with their mayor. On Thursday evening they were at least running a recorded news bulletin every 4 songs announcing evacuation details. I'm guessing today all Vista radio staff in Yellowknife have left the city and might be setting up at the nearest sister station (Grande Prairie, AB). 

As for CBC, with the Yellowknife studios going down to a skeleton crew, the workload appears to be shared between CBC Yukon, CBC Calgary, and some of the other CBC North outposts such as Inuvik and Iqaluit. Some of the morning and afternoon regional regional programming was coming out of Whitehorse, while Alberta@Noon was extended and was being simulcast across CBC Calgary and Edmonton's AM/FM transmitters across Alberta and NWT. All the evacuees leaving Yellowknife by car are driving through Alberta, so it was a good move on their part. On the TV side, TV news from Montreal and Edmonton have been covering the gaps in the schedule where Igalaaq and Northbeat would have normally broadcast.

Last edited by ED1 (August 18, 2023 6:42 pm)

August 18, 2023 7:56 pm  #12

Internet-based Cabin Radio is the gold standard in Yellowknife. To bad they are not on FM yet.

August 18, 2023 8:34 pm  #13

And they are not on FM thanks to the CRTC. How many can listen on line given the turmoil?

August 20, 2023 6:50 am  #14

Bristol wrote:

Internet-based Cabin Radio is the gold standard in Yellowknife. To bad they are not on FM yet.

They've published a note to listeners to explain how they plan to continue coverage, despite the evacuation. 

Cabin Radio: Our ongoing wildfire coverage plans

August 20, 2023 8:25 pm  #15

I'm not sure if Cabin Radio has ever had this much publicity. But they've earned it doing yeoman's work during the emergency.

"On the way to emergency lodgings more than 600 kilometres away from his home, through sections of smouldering woods and thick smoke on the only road out of Yellowknife, [Cabin Radio's Ollie] Williams used a Starlink satellite propped up by bags of dog food to keep working.

"My partner was doing about 100 kilometres down the highway to safety while I was writing those live updates into our system and publishing them."

I get the feeling when this is all over that Mr. Williams will be sought out for a larger market - if he wants to go. 

Yellowknife journalists work overtime to keep community updated during evacuations

August 20, 2023 10:37 pm  #16

RadioActive wrote:

Maybe they simply don't have the staff and I'm expecting too much from such a small market. 
If most of these stations are still at it on the weekend, I continue to wonder who they're broadcasting to. I hope they all get out safe.  

They don't have the staff and you are expecting too much.  This is a city of 22 000 with 2 or 3 mostly young people in each newsroom of independently owned and operated radio stations with at least one of them working remotely after evacuating.  This isn't 680 News in-depth team coverage and they can't pull resources from another market in the company like Edmonton and Calgary or Saskatoon and Regina sometimes do.  

They are broadcasting to evacuees listening online who want to know what is becoming of their homes and the few people who have stayed behind.  Why are you pretending not to understand how news coverage works all of a sudden?

August 21, 2023 8:18 am  #17

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/video/news/n-w-t-wildfires-misinformation-a-concern-in-remote-northern-region/vi-AA1fxv1J?ocid=socialshare&cvid=e317dfa936e647eab64198006cd1d068&ei=32
More on Cabin Radio via Global News - Cabin has 8 people on their news team

Last edited by Bristol (August 21, 2023 8:18 am)

August 22, 2023 6:34 am  #18

RadioActive wrote:

I'm not sure if Cabin Radio has ever had this much publicity. But they've earned it doing yeoman's work during the emergency.

"On the way to emergency lodgings more than 600 kilometres away from his home, through sections of smouldering woods and thick smoke on the only road out of Yellowknife, [Cabin Radio's Ollie] Williams used a Starlink satellite propped up by bags of dog food to keep working.

"My partner was doing about 100 kilometres down the highway to safety while I was writing those live updates into our system and publishing them."

I get the feeling when this is all over that Mr. Williams will be sought out for a larger market - if he wants to go. 

Yellowknife journalists work overtime to keep community updated during evacuations

I wonder if the service Cabin has provided during this emergency will convince the CRTC to finally grant them an FM licence.

Meanwhile, it turns out Mr. Williams has quite a lot of radio experience - he used to work as a sportscaster for the BBC.

Ex-BBC reporter passionate about local news informing N.W.T. and beyond about fires