sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 16, 2023 4:32 pm  #1

Bringing new blood to radio and television

Here's what other broadcasters are doing to attract more people to work in our industry - in all facets of the business:
https://jacobsmedia.com/how-radio-and-tv-can-be-there-for-young-people/. What have you seen work best in your radio or television observations?

Andy McNabb
AndyMcNabb.com

August 16, 2023 5:56 pm  #2

Re: Bringing new blood to radio and television

While the article itself is moderately interesting, the real story begins in the comments section, where people with varying degrees of radio/tv experience offer their opinions on whether broadcasting still makes a sensible career choice for young people in today's job market. Low wages, extended work hours and a lack of room for advancement are all highlighted. They point out young people today are far less susceptible to the "glitz and glamour" of radio/tv work and unless job conditions improve, all the campaigns in the world are unlikely to change their attitudes.

August 16, 2023 5:56 pm  #3

Could a comment on the article be any more relevant?
----------------------
Kurt B Smith says
August 15, 2023 at 7:25 AM

Bottom line, young people and new talent will not be drawn to broadcasting no matter how much they love it until station owners and management stop treating employees like disposable commodities. You hit the nail on the end a few days ago with the question you posed to them regarding paying them better than McDonald’s. A professional radio “lifer” I knew, at one point, was doing the usual multitasking management asked him to do: producing the morning show, acting as assistant music director, filling in on DJ slots, doing remotes, and generally being the PD’s gopher. He told me he was at the peak of his career and was barely able to keep food in the fridge, a roof over his head and his junk car on the road with what he was getting paid. This was at a top 5 station in a top 5 market! A bad book ushered him out the door and he has never gone back to radio as his primary career. In this post COVID world where people are more self aware of their working situation, young people, especially are not going to follow their dreams as much as their predecessors.

August 16, 2023 9:53 pm  #4

Dial Twister wrote:

----------------------
Kurt B Smith says
August 15, 2023 at 7:25 AM

In this post COVID world where people are more self aware of their working situation, young people, especially are not going to follow their dreams as much as their predecessors.

Young people these days are more savvy than previous generations, plus they have a lot more information at their disposal to help them make a wise career choice. A cheery campaign about how they can make a difference in a field with a questionable future is likely to have limited impact.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

August 17, 2023 6:03 pm  #5

I realized at age 34 that there was no future for me in radio. This was in the mid 80's ,the internet was just beginning, but my gut told me it was time to stop pacifying my ego and get a " real " job. My son took the Canadore broadcasting course in North Bay as he wanted to follow in my footsteps, and after looking at options, decided to stay in school and get a business degree. He rarely even listens to radio, like  much of his generation , and plugs his phone into his car audio system to listen to Spotify and the like. I am glad for both of us. He makes 6 figures now.  As much as I love the industry, I am glad to be on the speaker end . 

Last edited by mic'em (August 17, 2023 6:04 pm)