sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 12, 2023 1:08 am  #1

Radio veteran Doug Barron aka ‘Hal Harbour’ has passed away

Doug Barron, who entertained audiences from Toronto to Halifax over a 45-year broadcasting career, has passed away at age 71, his family has announced.

Full story: https://broadcastdialogue.com/radio-veteran-doug-barron-aka-hal-harbour-has-died/

August 12, 2023 12:30 pm  #2

Re: Radio veteran Doug Barron aka ‘Hal Harbour’ has passed away

I recently spent 90 minutes with Hal Harbour and we talked about his years at CFNY, his music, his role on Trailer Park Boys and so much more. Here's an edited version bookended by a couple of songs he produced while at CFNY.

Toronto Mike'd subscribers already have this as episode 1305, but here's a link to the Apple page: https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/remembering-hal-harbour-toronto-miked-1305/id557260245?i=1000624209839

August 12, 2023 12:52 pm  #3

I really don't mean to come off as whining about this butt...

RA posted abut this a day ago with the same broadcast dialogue link.
I frequently see "news" here from people who can't be bothered to read other people's previous posts about the same topic.

August 12, 2023 1:35 pm  #4

Peter the K wrote:

I frequently see "news" here from people who can't be bothered to read other people's previous posts about the same topic.

My bad. I usually scan down the list to see if it’s been mentioned, but often if it’s busy on the board, topics get pushed down.

August 12, 2023 1:49 pm  #5

Peter the K wrote:

It probably would have been avoided if Hal Harbour's name had been mentioned in the post's title instead of playing 'click to see who it is'.  I often ignore those ones as well.

Last edited by SpinningWheel (August 12, 2023 1:51 pm)

August 12, 2023 1:52 pm  #6

Hey, no problem.  It's not the end of the world.  Sometimes, I just fly off the handle. 

Shit happens.  Sorry about all the fuss.

Last edited by Peter the K (August 12, 2023 1:53 pm)

August 12, 2023 9:32 pm  #7

This happens all the time. Sometimes people are too busy to check everything, especially on a heavy day when there are 10 or more posts. (And thanks to the wonderful members who congregate here and keep the site going, that's more often than not!) 

So I really don't worry about duplication and as long as people get to see info that matters to them, that's all that really matters to me. 

I didn't, however, do the headline as clickbait. This site doesn't have any ads and I make nothing from it. (In fact, it costs me a couple hundred dollars a year to keep Boardhost from adding their own ads here.) So there's no need for clickbait. 

I just wasn't sure that Mr. Barron would be well enough remembered in these parts, since he's been gone from local radio for so long, that his name would mean that much to everyone. So I listed the stations he worked at to make it a bit more local.

I'm glad so many here recall his work. Sad, though, to know he's gone.