sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 7, 2023 6:07 pm  #1

CFXJ 93.5 HD2 “Toronto’s New Country”

Monday afternoon. Sounding good, one song after another.
To what might this be leading?

August 7, 2023 6:22 pm  #2

Re: CFXJ 93.5 HD2 “Toronto’s New Country”

Finally, both listeners to 99.9 HD4 have a choice!

August 7, 2023 6:50 pm  #3

Country music? You mean formula music? 

August 10, 2023 3:44 pm  #4

93.5 HD2 still "New Country" ID and music.
E-mailed asking if Country was moving to the main 93.5 and "Paul Harper-Morning Show Host" replied:
  "Exactly- I hope you like what you hear."

August 10, 2023 6:57 pm  #5

Dial Twister wrote:

Country music? You mean formula music? 

I'd rather eat worms than listen to country music, but that was REALLY well done.

August 10, 2023 7:03 pm  #6

WPE9HAY wrote:

93.5 HD2 still "New Country" ID and music.
E-mailed asking if Country was moving to the main 93.5 and "Paul Harper-Morning Show Host" replied:
  "Exactly- I hope you like what you hear."

Does this mean "Today" will soon be yesterday?

August 10, 2023 7:31 pm  #7

I don't really think Stingray would consider Toronto being a viable market for country music. Even if they would, why wouldn't they dismiss all the hosts on Today Radio for now and redirect listeners to Boom 97.3? I guess the New Country format on 93.5 HD2 is just another extra option for those having access to HD radio.

August 10, 2023 7:37 pm  #8

Update by e-mail that nothing's going to happen:"We are testing the HD technology and using our company’s New Country format to do so, since isn’t something available elsewhere in Toronto. At this point we have no plans beyond testing this technology on a temporary basis. And there are no plans to change what we’re offering on Today Radio. Sorry for the delay in my reply. I hope this speaks to any concerns you may have. Crosby McWilliam Program Director

Last edited by WPE9HAY (August 10, 2023 7:38 pm)

August 10, 2023 7:50 pm  #9

A lot doesn't add up:

-There's not much reason to "test" HD2, except for a short period to juggle bitrates around the channels and find your audio quality balance. And even then, you'd be best to put TODAY's audio on it to do a true A/B and not confuse listeners

-Why bother making "Toronto's New Country" IDs if it's a test?

-TODAY hasn't cracked a 1 share since launch; if nothing's happened yet, it's not going to. Also, launching a second format when the first one needs attention?

-Country could work here, but that's not the ideal frequency for it. On the other hand - what do they have to lose?

-If you were going to put Country on 93.5, why put in on HD2 first?

Last edited by RadioAaron (August 10, 2023 7:55 pm)

August 10, 2023 8:03 pm  #10

Now this is a streeeeeeeeeeeeeetch, but:

-Run a format with some pent up demand and a passionate audience
-Promote it
-In the process, people find TODAY and like it

That's all I've got.

August 11, 2023 7:24 pm  #11

In the 70's , I did an overnight show on a Maritime station. Friday and Saturday nights , I did requests only , and played everything from country to hard rock to soft ballad, to classics from the crooners. The station had an amazing library. The phone lines were full all night, but the ass't pd would blow a gasket and eventually fired me for breaking format. I was offered by the competition to do the same type show for a few extra dollars but declined. They just simply did it anyway with an in house announcer. I moved back to Ontario and never looked back.