sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 7, 2023 11:59 am  #1

CHOP-FM Newmarket Finally Gets Its Wish To Become A Real Radio Station

This somehow reminds me of Pinocchio wanting to be a real boy. CHOP-FM, the school radio station in Newmarket, has finally gotten its wish and will become a de facto actual radio station - although most of us will likely never be able to hear it. 

The CRTC has granted the small campus-only outlet a whole 33.5 watts of power on the already very crowded frequency of 102.7 FM to become an official community radio station. According to the Commission's release:

"The applicant stated that the music broadcast by the station would be a mix of alternative, rock, pop, classic rock, and jazz music, with a particular focus on independent and emerging artists."

It will be primarily staffed by students of Pickering College, its longtime home, although to keep it going 365 and 24/7, they will need to also train older volunteers.  

All this comes despite the not unexpected opposition of CJRK-FM, which operates its own low power station on 102.7 in Scarborough. But the CRTC decided that it would not be an issue in the long run and that no other applicant sought any of the scarce frequencies in Newmarket. So with CHOP already in existence, they gave them the green light. 

Evanov's CKDX-FM also intervened, arguing there simply isn't room for another commercial station in the small city. But again, the Commission didn't buy it, noting as a community format, it isn't likely to infringe on existing players. 

I also thought it was amusing that the Commission is forbidding CHOP from airing any major amount of Tamil language programming, the primary audience for CJRK. Not that the station was ever planning to use anything other than English. 

By the way, that's the voice of veteran broadcaster Ted Yates on the embedded video below.  

CRTC CHOP-FM Decision

CHOP-FM Website

August 7, 2023 12:29 pm  #2

Re: CHOP-FM Newmarket Finally Gets Its Wish To Become A Real Radio Station

This application was filed in December of 2019, so at 3 years and almost 8 months probably sets a new CRTC record for time from application to issuance of decision. Back in the day, circa 2007, Chairman Conrad von FInkenstein set service level criteria and largely adhered to them.  These days, any application which raises the slightest policy issue goes to the bottom of the in basket, and only surfaces once the easy ones are dealt with.  And of course any major takeover application goes to the top of the list and trumps everything else.

Regarding programming in the Tamil language, in paragraph 38 the Commission said:
" Accordingly, the Commission will not impose a condition of service on the applicant related to third-language programming. " 

August 7, 2023 1:09 pm  #3

Newmarket is a small town. Would that level of power give them coverage of the entire town?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

August 14, 2023 7:09 pm  #4

I guess this article is better late than never from a small Newmarket newspaper, but it does quote Jim Waters, the son of former CHUM founder Allan Waters and the parent of an alumnus from the school. 

"Attaining a community licence is a transformative step forward for Pickering College and the communities of Newmarket and Aurora," said Jim Waters, Pickering College alumni parent and former owner of CHUM Limited. “The CRTC is very careful with regard to licence renewals and issuing new licences such as this one. It simply does not happen if the applicant has not done what they promised."

By the way, gotta say I admire the pronounceable call letters. Good choice.

Pickering College radio station awarded community broadcast licence