sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 4, 2023 11:49 am  #1

Big Changes Coming To Peterborough Station After CRTC Ruling

CJMB-FM in Peterborough always was a bit of an anomaly in the market – first as a religious station and then as an all-sports format, unusual in such a small city.

But now the CRTC has agreed to lift some of the conditions of licence the station said was hampering it from becoming profitable and that could mean a big change coming on air in the near future.

It likely means the end of the all-sports format, tough enough to maintain in a larger market. According to the owners, an already weak signal hampered its ability to attract an audience. And then when COVID-19 shut down most of the major sports leagues, it took another huge hit. So My Broadcasting asked the CRTC to get rid of its COL that limited it to only 25% of music allowed in a broadcast day and 50% of spoken word.

Despite an intervention from Bell, which owns several music stations in Peterborough, the Commission agreed to the changes, citing the weaker signal as no threat to the bigger companies and the fact CJMB might wind up in financial distress if the restrictions weren’t removed.

The station says it considered an all talk format, which was too expensive, broadcasting all CBS Sports, which wasn’t allowed in the licence, or shutting the place down altogether.

So what’s next for one of the last place stations in a six station town? What could be a very weird combination of the old and the new.

“Approval of the proposed amendment would permit the licensee to replace CJMB-FM’s current talk/sports format with a classic alternative music/sports/talk hybrid format.”

In the end, the CRTC bought what My Broadcasting was selling and listeners in the area will soon have another music alternative to the existing ones there.

"The Commission considers that the applicant has demonstrated an economic need for the amendment, that the amendment will not have an undue negative impact on other stations in the market, and that approval would not undermine the integrity of the Commission’s licensing process. Either approval or denial of the application has the potential to reduce the diversity of radio programming available in the Peterborough market."

CRTC Decision

August 4, 2023 12:20 pm  #2

Re: Big Changes Coming To Peterborough Station After CRTC Ruling

They flipped to Alternative a couple years ago and asked permission after the fact

August 4, 2023 12:24 pm  #3

Had no idea. Is this a case of do first and ask permission later? I'm not sure why the CRTC would not have objected to that. You'd think they might have disapproved of something so blatant that defies their COL.

August 4, 2023 12:28 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

Had no idea. Is this a case of do first and ask permission later? I'm not sure why the CRTC would not have objected to that. You'd think they might have disapproved of something so blatant that defies their COL.

The pandemic grants benefit of the doubt. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 4, 2023 12:47 pm  #5

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

The pandemic grants benefit of the doubt. 

As I understand it, that's basically what happened. Informal offline approval, followed by the usual process.

August 4, 2023 2:28 pm  #6

It's an interesting story.

They actually put their staff meeting on Facebook live when they discussed the changes, why they were doing it.   This was about a month or two into the pandemic?  Should still be there.

If you read the submissions on the CRTC website - it was pretty clear they had not done anything without the commission being in the loop.

If nothing else, they now have the all clear to do what they want.  It won't change their signal issue.

I like the station as it is now.