sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 30, 2023 9:20 am  #1

Ever Wanted To Be On Air In Toronto? Here's How You Can

There are probably a lot of strings attached and I'm sure you also have to actually like and know something about the music. But this airs on JazzFM in Toronto every Sunday night, and it promises to put anyone (presumably qualified) on the air for half an hour to do their own show. Pretty unique offer in the major market in Canada.

July 30, 2023 11:39 am  #2

Re: Ever Wanted To Be On Air In Toronto? Here's How You Can

I actually miss the days when one could pay CKLN $88.10 to have an hour on the air as your own radio show during a pledge drive.

It's good Jazz FM is doing this.
I wish CIUT would do this during their pledge drive so I personally wouldn't have to be stuck with just Jazz music.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 30, 2023 1:55 pm  #3

CFNY did the same thing as a commercial station and for one hour and for free during their early years. I was a big fan of the station and got my own hour in 1978. The show was called Listeners' Choice and for a while they had a companion show which featured a musical star playing their faves. I clearly remember members of the Ramones and Teenage Head playing the Beach Boys and Teenage Head also played the Flamin' Groovies. They derived their name from a Groovies song.

I could be wrong about this but I think Q 107 may have tried the same thing at some point with a listener's show and I have heard a version of one in the last decade on an American station streaming on the net.

Last edited by Fitz (July 30, 2023 1:58 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

July 31, 2023 11:29 am  #4

Here in Buffalo, 97 Rock has done this for years; I THINK it has something to do with the Make A Wish Radiothon they do every year around September. If memory serves, one of the Erie County Executives(NOT the current one)did an hour on-air shift.

Last edited by ckg927 (July 31, 2023 11:30 am)

July 31, 2023 5:19 pm  #5

I was hoping it was an audition call for CFRB, weekdays from 2 to 6.  Oakley wins again.

July 31, 2023 6:04 pm  #6

The Fan did it in the late 90s