sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 26, 2023 10:06 am  #1

The Stupidest Thing I've Heard On Local Radio All Year

As some here know, I'm a talk radio fan, and I make it a point to listen to a lot of different shows on various stations, from CFRB to yes, even CBC Radio 1. 

But what I heard on Tuesday afternoon left me both gobsmacked and frankly, angry. It was on the Marc Patrone show over on Sauga 960. He now does his show live from Florida, having left Canada because he thinks the government is after him. When the story broke that Bronny James, the athlete son of NBA great LeBron James, suffered a sudden cardiac arrest and nearly died, Patrone instantly and without a shred of evidence solidly declared it was the result of the COVID vaccine. 

The host is a rabid anti-vaxxer to begin with, and that's his choice. But to boldly jump to that conclusion is simply irresponsible. He has no idea if Bronny James has ever had a drop of the stuff, if that was the reason or even what exactly happened. But he told his listeners his conclusions as if it was already proven.

I guess that's not a surprise from a guy who still insists that Trump won the last U.S. election. 

I'm 100% in favour of free speech and he has every right to believe what he wants. But to report on pure fiction as fact, with no proof, is simply irresponsible and while I expect it on U.S. right wing radio, I thought there might have been some kind of rules to prevent it from spreading here. Apparently not. 

By the way, Dr. Mitch Shulman, an actual medical doctor, was on NT1010 in the morning, explaining the number of causes that could have led to this heart issue in a fit guy that young, including genetics and previously undiagnosed conditions. I would rather trust that source than a completely uninformed conspiracy theorist spouting off over Canadian airwaves. 

Many are aware I'm anything but a rabid left winger, more of a centrist. But I wonder if the owners of Sauga 960 know what's going out over their airwaves. I thought Canadian radio, even a small insignificant station, was better than this. You can't be allowed to flat out lie. But to someone for whom everything is a conspiracy, there are no lies. Just "alternate facts."

It's definitely the most irresponsible thing I've heard on any local radio station this year. And that's saying something!

July 26, 2023 1:16 pm  #2

Re: The Stupidest Thing I've Heard On Local Radio All Year

It's a sign of the times, RA. The crazies are not just in America.

Truth and democracy are in peril around the world. Sadly, although many well-informed, sane people see the dangers of authoritarianism (supported by outright and constant lies), many others are not aware of, nor do they care about history.

The lessons of the first half of the 20th century are being blatantly ignored, at our peril.

July 26, 2023 1:53 pm  #3

To paraphrase George Santayana, "Those who don't learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat it."

God help us. 

July 26, 2023 2:04 pm  #4

It's a given that all deaths are now vaccine related, at least to some. Elon Musk speculated via X (formerly Twitter and, given that others may have the right to "X", possibly Twitter again) within 30 minutes of the Bronny James news, that, with no evidence, the cause could be the COVID 19 vaccine. Facts and scientists and doctors and experts are to be completely ignored, denigrated and despised in favour of, more and more, the most outrageous "alternative facts" possible from completely deranged sources.