sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 25, 2023 9:35 am  #1

Is The Picture Really Better With A 4K TV?

With the coming of 3.0, so-called "Next Gen TV," on the horizon (apparently whether you want it or not) you'll be required to get a new television. I've heard a lot about 4K TV but have never actually seen one. So when I came across this article, it piqued my interest. 

Some here may have wondered the same thing.

Is 4K TV Just a Big Marketing Scam? Is the Picture Really Better?

"I would be remiss if I didn’t add that while the 4K picture can be an improvement over HD, the difference between 4K and HD is not the dramatic difference it was between HD and SD."

July 25, 2023 9:43 am  #2

Re: Is The Picture Really Better With A 4K TV?

I personally can't see the difference, but my vision's not great.

July 25, 2023 10:11 am  #3

In theory, it is, but it's shit in shit out. If it's a bad HD coming in, it will look like bad HD on a 4k TV. What 4k sources do you have ?

July 25, 2023 10:14 am  #4

Stinand wrote:

In theory, it is, but it's shit in shit out. If it's a bad HD coming in, it will look like bad HD on a 4k TV. What 4k sources do you have ?

There's some 4k programming on Amazon Prime.

July 25, 2023 10:34 am  #5

I was asking RA if he was watching 4k source, if he was not, he would see no difference. There is 4k on Amazon Prime as long as you have bandwidth, otherwise drops it to 1080 or 720..

July 25, 2023 10:44 am  #6

Stinand wrote:

I was asking RA if he was watching 4k source, if he was not, he would see no difference. There is 4k on Amazon Prime as long as you have bandwidth, otherwise drops it to 1080 or 720..

Should be good, I have 1gb Beanfield.

July 25, 2023 10:51 am  #7

It is to my understanding that Rogers only has 3 or 4 4K channels at the moment.
You have to be on an actual 4K Channel to enjoy it properly.

But yes, for the cord cutters and anti Rogers folk, Amazon Prime is the place to be. 
Make sure it's a 4K proper channel with a 4K TV. 
Also, if it is at all possible, feel free to put two TV's side by side.
One 4K and one regular HD TV.
See if you can see the difference, but make sure
the 4K channel repeats itself for HD. 
You'll want to have the exact same channel for comparison...if possible.

Last edited by Radiowiz (July 25, 2023 10:53 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 25, 2023 11:31 am  #8

By itself, 4K is slightly sharper over 1080p FHD, but the real advantage is support of HDR content. To my eye HDR does punch up the overall picture quality.

July 25, 2023 11:45 am  #9

I notice a slight difference watching the Jays in 4K and going back to an HD channel.  I also have OTA but am too far away to pick up the ATSC 3 signal out of Buffalo it seems.
Regardless, OTA.. uncompressed is way better than anything coming down a wire or Sat dish.

July 25, 2023 2:53 pm  #10

Good 1080p is almost as good as 4K. 4K is better if the program has HDR. I get ATSC 3.0 from Buffalo none of the channels have 4K. From what I have read there is no 4K over the air broadcasts in the US. Not enough bandwidth with the subchannels they are carrying. With Buffalo 2 1080i channels and 3 720p channels. Maybe 4K in the future if the FCC allows ATSC 1.0 stations to convert to 3.0 which would free up bandwidth since some of the subchannels would go back to their old 1.0 frequencies.

Last edited by canam2021 (July 25, 2023 2:59 pm)

July 25, 2023 5:23 pm  #11

pinto wrote:

I notice a slight difference watching the Jays in 4K and going back to an HD channel.  I also have OTA but am too far away to pick up the ATSC 3 signal out of Buffalo it seems.
Regardless, OTA.. uncompressed is way better than anything coming down a wire or Sat dish.

OTA HD is definitely compressed.  In fact, it is compressed about 90% from it's original form.

The original, in studio, uncompressed baseband data rate for "1080i/720p HD" video is 1.485 Gbit/s.  The OTA transmissions squeeze this down to about 17Mb/s, or typically, less.  ATSC1 uses MPEG2 compression, which today, is the least efficient compression system.

July 25, 2023 6:48 pm  #12

If you have a good 4k source (i.e a 4k Blu-Ray player with a 4k disc, there is a definite improvement.  But the ability to distinguish the difference depends on the viewing distance. See https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship
I am totally suspicious of any claims of 4k resolution by the BDUs. In the early days of HD, most networks were purist and transmitted a single 1920 x 1080 HD picture in the 19.34 Mbits/sec bit stream, and Rogers carried them intact.  Bell Satellite downrated to 720p at 12 Mbits. .  Enter the bean counters, and the "mezzanine" levels used for transport from network to affiliate got reduced, and multiplexing or over-the-air signals took the bit rate down to who knows what (maybe 5 MBits/sec per stream?)  It's also entirely possible to upscale 1920 x 1080 to 4K, and give an ersatz result. Some of it can look very convincing.
The bottom line is we don't know what we're really getting, and short of being able to analyze the transport stream, you can't. It doesn't matter what the original signal quality is that is delivered by the program service.  Once it arrives at a broadcast distributor, it can be "trans-rated" and statistically multiplexed to squeeze in more channels into the available bandwidth. If you get up close to your HD set, you can see that the resolution suffers in chroma detail, and edges aren't really sharp.
So I wouldn't hold my breath about getting true 4k resolution over-the-air, but rather expect just more quasi hi-res channels.

July 26, 2023 9:36 am  #13

With broadcast television on the downward trajectory that it is, you have to wonder why the investment is being made for 4K transmission.  I can understand streaming options being improved, but for linear models, the thought puzzles me.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

July 26, 2023 10:07 am  #14

Jody Thornton wrote:

With broadcast television on the downward trajectory that it is, you have to wonder why the investment is being made for 4K transmission.  I can understand streaming options being improved, but for linear models, the thought puzzles me.

I would concur with your statement Jody

4K (or higher) has its place in gaming, movies and (maybe) sports

Newscasts & Jeopardy!    Not so much

July 26, 2023 12:17 pm  #15

Interesting discussion, HOWEVER, unless you are watching a raw feed from the camera by HD SDI to a pro 4k monitor. You will see the difference, and then you can see how stunning 4k can be. HOWEVER, it depends on the subject. I own a production company with 4k gear; I don't use it as file size, and bandwidth makes the production process cumbersome and expensive. Once it's been processed, compressed squeezed thru the streaming pipe, it loses its sparkle and might as well use HD .. Very few can tell the difference. HOWEVER, it does sell TVs. LMAO..
Oh yes, it's also the screen you are watching the content on; if it's not DLP or OLED, the discussion becomes redundant.