sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 26, 2023 4:50 pm  #31

Re: New CHCH tower...

This week saw the activation of the lower and mid tier strobe / OWL system on the tower.  At present. the OWL system is operating with a WHITE flash strobe during daylight hours, and a RED blink during the twilight/night hours. This sequence is from the same LED heads.

If you are out and about driving in the evening, the new tower location will now be more visible.

Weather and some material delays have slowed the tower construction this past week, but hopefully that will change for the coming week.

August 26, 2023 5:25 pm  #32

We were on a car rally today that took us up Sydenham Road, across highway 5 and up Millgrove Sideroad.  The tower was immediately on our left side.

August 26, 2023 7:22 pm  #33

Last month RA and myself made a couple of posts referencing Wavestack antennas, the CJCB tower, and what is left of the original CHCH Wavestack at Stoney Creek.

Here is a snap of the Wavestack at Stoney Creek, and the old H tower.

Below, the Wavestack is on the left of frame, and is at the reduced height of 400' (originally installed at 540'). The Corus standby antennas are on the upper portion of the Wavestack.  The main existing CHCH tower is on the right of the frame.

This is the Bell H Tower at the CHCH site.  CHCH did not have a clear shot to the Stoney Creek transmitter site when they signed on in 1954. The CHCH feed was routed on coax trunk to the Bell office on Bay St. in Hamilton, and from there Bell fed the signal via microwave to the Stoney Creek site for CHCH.  The H tower had a passive reflector at the top between the two cross braces which reflected the microwave signal down to a ground mounted receive antenna. 

(Bell also employed at similar "H Tower" set-up for CHEX TV in Peterborough which allowed CHEX to receive the CBC Network feed for affiliates).

Last edited by Glen Warren (August 26, 2023 7:40 pm)

August 26, 2023 7:44 pm  #34

This pic shows the pad that the ground mounted receive antenna was sitting on. The RF wave guide was run underground from the ground mounted antenna into the CHCH transmitter building...

The Bell Microwave feed was later replaced by trunked coax, then analog fibre optic, and finally by ASI.

August 28, 2023 10:05 am  #35

Great updates and info! I noticed TV towers in general now, (CKVR and a Global 1000 footer in Muskoka) in the past year have now switched to bright white strobes in the day and blinking red lights in the night time.   New law?

August 29, 2023 11:33 pm  #36

The construction for the new CHCH tower is almost complete. The remaining specialized materials have arrived at the site.  While the main tower sections were already delivered, there were some custom fabricated components which were delivered late last week. The remaining guy cables were delivered Monday.

The guy lines are custom wound / manufactured to the engineers specification (tower height, and wind loading, overall weight). The guy lines are also of varying diameter depending on which position they are attached to the tower. Guy lines 1 to 4 are attached to the inner concrete ground anchors, while guy lines 5 to 7 are attached to the outer concrete ground anchors.  The guy lines and the tower sections are galvanized steel. The tower will not be painted red/white or aircraft orange/white.

The UHF TV antenna for CHCH and CTS has had final site assembly completed and is now ready for the lift planned for September,  The antenna was delivered in four sections which have been aligned on an assembly rig and bolted together.  The antenna will be top mounted on the tower head. It has four faces and each face has four antenna elements with protective fibreglass radomes over each element. The internal antenna structure contains the RF cable connections to each element as well as the rigid line and adapters. The internal cavity also contains a climbing latter

The antenna will have an overall height of 70'. The tower will be approx. 930' when complete, So the overall height is 1000' when completed.

Here is a pic from Monday evening. The majority of the tower construction may very well be complete by the end of this week or by middle of next week.  Pretty good planning when uncertain weather conditions and some material delays are factored in!

August 30, 2023 11:57 am  #37

its coming up quick!  Any news when the old one will be taken down?  Im sure CHCH will air something about that when it happens. 

September 1, 2023 8:51 am  #38

markow202 wrote:

its coming up quick!  Any news when the old one will be taken down?  ...

Not until later in the fall. Both TV signals as well as Corus FM have to be stable and then fully transitioned to the new TX site.  There are also one or two cellular services on the existing Stoney Creek tower, so they also have to shut down. Not sure where they will relocate to, or if they have to... The cell companies might have existing sites nearby which can be upgraded/utilized ?  There is an existing cell mono tower on Centennial Pkwy. at Ridge Rd. so maybe this site could be be utilized.

The pic below shows progress at the new site and was taken last evening (I even managed to snap this with the strobe lights on!).  Looks like the sixth level guy cable lines have been installed to the outer set of concrete ground anchors and they have been tensioned. There will be one more set of guy cables which will be attached near the top of the tower, just below the TV antenna.

September 1, 2023 9:38 am  #39

I'm curious about the process of turning off the old and turning on the new. Will any of the stations involved experience an outage or is it a hot switch? Also, how do you test it without causing interference?

September 1, 2023 10:16 am  #40

A lot of testing/performance proving on load... and most likely a shut down the old and power up the new during an overnight (my guess). 

CHCH has bought a new transmitter for the new site (CH currently has an R&S at Stoney Creek). CITS is moving their existing transmitters to the new site. They will run with one unit at the current Stoney Creek site, while the second unit is moved (They are both R&S units, and matched power). R&S transmitters are very stable/reliable, so the short duration with only the one unit operating at Stoney Creek should not pose a problem.

Both CHCH and CITS are staying on their current frequencies, and the power levels should remain similar.

Corus has two Nautel FM transmitters at Stoney Creek, running as a main and standby set-up. Not sure what their plan is for the move.  I've heard two versions, first being that they are moving the Nautel's, and the second yarn is that they are buying new transmitter equipment for the Flamborough site. 

Last edited by Glen Warren (September 1, 2023 10:21 am)

September 4, 2023 5:20 pm  #41

As for disruptions no one should notice anything other the OTA viewers. All the BDU’s will likely be fed by fibre, IP or satellite. 

September 6, 2023 7:49 pm  #42

The new CHCH Tower build had the last of the forty-eight tower sections lifted into position and secured on Tuesday morning (yesterday). This will bring the tower itself to a height of 930 feet approximately.

The final set of three guy lines will be installed on the guy support arms and pulled/tensioned to the outer set of the concrete ground anchors. The tensioning of the guy lines is an art in itself!

Also, once the last set of guys is secured, the level 3 or top tier strobes can be installed and activated.

The antenna to tower mount can now be raised and installed. This is a custom engineered structure which will adapt the triangular form of the tower to the rectangular form of the antenna housing.

Each of the tower sections has two ladders installed inside the tower lattice, and they both have a "fall arrest" system for tower workers who may have to work on the tower for future service, or inspections etc.
The ladders come shipped separately from the tower sections, and are assembled on the ground before being raised or lifted vertically with the gin pole and the ground winch.

Transmission line sections will also be installed inside the tower structure and secured to the third face.

Near the tower base, there is a secured structure around the three tower faces and the bottom which prevents unauthorized access. This type of safety structure is commonly referred to as an "anti climb".

The pic below shows the installation of tower section 48. If you look closely on the top left side of the tower section, you can see the three tower installers securing the last section, and working on the seventh and last set of guy lines.

September 7, 2023 10:29 am  #43

Should be on the air very soon!  Question, back when stations had to replace antennas for HD for example, CKVR had to replace the old analog batwings for a new HD antenna did they also have to replace the whole feedline?  That would seem so complex 

Last edited by markow202 (September 7, 2023 10:31 am)

September 7, 2023 10:51 am  #44

markow202 wrote:

Should be on the air very soon!  Question, back when stations had to replace antennas for HD for example, CKVR had to replace the old analog batwings for a new HD antenna did they also have to replace the whole feedline?  That would seem so complex 

Not necessarily if the coax impedance was the same.
I know when they first went HD, the new antenna was side mounted. I am not sure if they are on top now or not.

September 7, 2023 11:22 am  #45

markow202 wrote:

Interesting question...  and there probably is not a definitive answer to it.  I think it would depend on a few variables which would be unique or specific to each station's circumstances...

At the risk of stating misinformation on my part, I would defer to some members who would have more experience than moi.  

( I'm not a real P. Eng.   ... I just play one on TV. )

Mr. In Phase or My Fybush,  or TV GUY...  over to you!

September 8, 2023 11:39 pm  #46

I looked at the technical brief.  CHCH and CITS feed into a combiner.  They use a common feedline which is 325 metres in length.  The antenna is 16 bays - 4 per panel.  The drawing in the tech brief suggests that the UHF antenna is mounted at the top of the tower.   I did not see transmitter buildings in the photos, so it may take some time - weeks? To construct the building(s), on-site power generation, etc, and install all of the equipment. Then once the FM antenna(s) are installed, there would be significant testing.  I would assume testing into a dummy load, for all transmitters at the new site, but at some point, there will be an on-site visit from ISED.  Coordination for over-the-air testing could be a bit complicated, because the TV and FM owners would shut down the Stoney Creek stations and test the new facilities.  It is assumed that this would happen late at night - probably overnight, because of revenue implications.  ISED technicians generally require days or weeks of advance notice.  So, even though the construction may end, it may take some additional days or weeks before all of the stations go through on-site ISED inspections/testing.  I would not anticipate any long off-air periods.  Usually there is a “flash” switch over where one site is shut down, and the other goes into operation.  One other assumption.  I would think that given the use of the combiner, common heliax and common antenna, CHCH and CITS will switch over to the “new” site at the same time.  There is no reason that the FMs would have to be tied to the TV timetable.

September 9, 2023 7:11 am  #47

markow202 wrote:

Question, back when stations had to replace antennas for HD for example, CKVR had to replace the old analog batwings for a new HD antenna did they also have to replace the whole feedline?  That would seem so complex 

Analog or digital (aka the modulation type) has no effect on the transmission line.  It doesn't care.

A transmission line is dependent on the RF power level and the frequency.  A significant increase in RF power level ("watts" or voltage really) might require a change in transmission line.  Too much power in a transmission line can cause arcing, or heating.

The other factor is frequency as this goes to the "loss" of an RF signal as it passes through the transmission line.  All transmission lines have loss (just like any wire or cable).  That loss increases as the frequency increases.  So, for example, if a TV station moves from VHF to UHF, at the same power level, the transmission line would probably need to be replaced with a larger line, to reduce the losses, to ensure the required RF power level reaches the antenna.

September 9, 2023 7:17 am  #48

tvguy wrote:

...... at some point, there will be an on-site visit from ISED

Typically, ISED no longer does site visits.  They rely on the broadcaster (their consultant really) to submit data to confirm the installation meets technical requirements.

There is an "on air" testing period where notices are posted (on air and/or publicly) asking anyone to contact the station is any interference is found.

September 10, 2023 9:10 pm  #49

Here is a shot from this afternoon...   the Gin Pole has been raised to begin the lift for the TV antenna structure. The seventh set of tower guy lines have been installed and tensioned. The third tier/level strobes have also been installed with the ice shields. The third level strobes are not yet active.

The custom mount from the tower top to antenna base has also been installed... 

The height of the Gin Pole above the tower will be a representation of the finished height with the TV antenna structure installed... this will be a "top mount".   The FM antennas for Corus will be side mounted near the top, but at a prescribed height or "aperature" below the TV antenna so as to not cause potential intereference with each other...  Again, the TV RF assignments for CHCH and CITS, as well as Corus FM are not changing...

The TV antenna lift will happen in two stages....  the antenna is actually comprised of four sections, which have been assembled on the ground and wired internally to the indvidual panel heads. It will now be seperated into two sections, and lifted one at a time and mounted / secured into position.

Last edited by Glen Warren (September 10, 2023 9:27 pm)

September 10, 2023 10:17 pm  #50

Some more pics...

Internal cavity of the TV antenna structure, w/ internal "ladder".  Exterior ladder is attached on the opposite side.

Last edited by Glen Warren (September 10, 2023 10:32 pm)

September 10, 2023 10:28 pm  #51

Top section of antenna, w/ strobe head beacon attached

Custom mount interface between tower and antenna structure

Tower assembly sections prepared for lift...  upper section on left, w/ strobe head beacon mounted.

Last edited by Glen Warren (September 10, 2023 10:29 pm)

September 11, 2023 10:34 am  #52

Nice pics Glen!  Very good info.

First pic of inside antenna I almost thought it was CN Tower.  Similar. 

September 13, 2023 11:08 am  #53

With this new stick turned on soon, I'm guessing this CRTC announcement is just part of the process.

"The Commission approves the application by Corus Radio Inc. (Corus) to change the authorized contours of the English-language commercial radio programming undertaking CING-FM Hamilton, Ontario, by decreasing the effective height of the antenna above average terrain (EHAAT) from 305.0 to 287.0 metres and by amending the coordinates of the transmitter site...

"The land where the tower is currently located has been sold, and because the existing transmitter tower will be dismantled in November 2023, making it impossible for the station to continue operations. Therefore, Corus intends to relocate its transmission site for CING-FM from Stoney Creek, Ontario, to its new tower, which is being constructed in the Flamborough district of Hamilton, approximately 19 kilometres away."

CRTC Decision

September 13, 2023 1:28 pm  #54

Now that CING's move has been approved [in the nick of time], this *should* mean that the people putting the tower up can now haul up the FM antenna once the top mounted TV antenna is in place.

September 13, 2023 3:17 pm  #55

I wonder if this will ever occur for CKVR Barrie?  Their tower is slowly being closed in by other developments - although the studio and land is right below it so it would be up to Bell (CTV) to decide that. 

September 13, 2023 3:19 pm  #56

Same situation with CFPL. That that tower is getting up there in years too.

September 13, 2023 3:47 pm  #57

andysradio wrote:

Same situation with CFPL. That that tower is getting up there in years too.

I just looked that one up on streetview.  What in the hell.  The tower is literally in people's backyards!  The homes and area look well established there already (old) so doubt would have to leave, but its just strange to see. 

Imagine having a bbq and this beast of a tower is in your backyard.  No thanks. 

https://goo.gl/maps/Nefwp3EAN6mq1Pow5

Last edited by markow202 (September 13, 2023 3:52 pm)

September 14, 2023 8:34 am  #58

RadioActive wrote:

With this new stick turned on soon, I'm guessing this CRTC announcement is just part of the process.

"The Commission approves the application by Corus Radio Inc. (Corus) to change the authorized contours of the English-language commercial radio programming undertaking CING-FM Hamilton, Ontario, by decreasing the effective height of the antenna above average terrain (EHAAT) from 305.0 to 287.0 metres and by amending the coordinates of the transmitter site...

"The land where the tower is currently located has been sold, and because the existing transmitter tower will be dismantled in November 2023, making it impossible for the station to continue operations. Therefore, Corus intends to relocate its transmission site for CING-FM from Stoney Creek, Ontario, to its new tower, which is being constructed in the Flamborough district of Hamilton, approximately 19 kilometres away."

CRTC Decision

I'm not sure of what is going on with Corus re this move...  The CRTC decision noted above is in reference to the May 2023 application, but I'm pretty sure that Corus knew quite some time before that CHCH intended to sell their exisiting site and move their tower to another site. (both Corus and CITS are tenants on the existing CHCH Stoney Creek tower). This did not just come to light in April of this year.

At one point, Corus noted in a previous submission to the CRTC that moving the CING transmitter to the CJXY in Burlington was not feasible.   So they did consider it... so they knew about the planned moved... This now just seems all very last minute, down to the wire...

What was not feasible?  The distance from the Stoney Creek tower to the CJXY site in Burlington is about 22 km, and this is only an increase of 4 km from the CHCH site in Flamborough... negligible.

The height of The CJXY tower is 400' so the height would have to have been increased to accommodate CING at the CJXY site to maintain the existing ERP level (100 kw) and the current classification (C1). I assume that Corus would want to maintain these parameters if they moved to the CJXY Burlington tower.

The CJXY tower is about 23 years old, so relatively new and should be in good condition. Could it not support the additional weight of an extension, additional antennas, and more transmission lines?  Maybe the existing tower base and footing could not support additional height weight? I'm not positive but I think that the CJXY tower may have been one of the last few broadcast radio tower projects of the now defunct L&R... so maybe current manufacturers could not or would not build onto an existing structure of a former manufacturer???

Last edited by Glen Warren (September 14, 2023 8:36 am)

September 16, 2023 9:09 pm  #59

By end of day Friday, the first of the two TV antenna sections had been lifted into place atop the tower.  The upper section will be lifted early next week (the gin pole will be raised once more to accommodate this lift), and then the RF transmission line can be connected, as well as the level three strobes and the antenna mast top mounted strobe or beacon.

The Corus FM array will be lifted and secured after the TV antenna work is complete.

This past week has also seen the completion of major site upgrades to the electrical service. A new pad mounted transformer has been delivered and installed. Previously, underground service feeders from the transformer pad had been pulled in, and were awaiting the delivery of the transformer. Electrical inspections will allow the transmitter site to transition to utility or shore power. Prior to this, the power service for the work site was from a temporary contractor transformer...  

Last edited by Glen Warren (September 16, 2023 9:11 pm)

September 18, 2023 2:21 pm  #60

I have to drive to Brantford soon this week from Etobicoke so im sure I will see the tower going up or down the mountain on 403.