sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 14, 2023 11:35 am  #1

Ron MacLean possibly gone: is the HNIC on-air team getting a rebuild?

https://www.mapleleafsinsider.com/Major-changes-coming-to-Hockey-Night-in-Canada-Ron-MacLean-others-reportedly-out-255884

Something to mull over during the off season.

It's long overdue and I'm pretty sure both hockey fans and those in the hockey broadcasting biz can easily think of a couple of people who'd be a terrific fit and who've earned the opportunity.

Last edited by betaylored (July 14, 2023 11:36 am)

July 14, 2023 11:42 am  #2

Re: Ron MacLean possibly gone: is the HNIC on-air team getting a rebuild?

I heard a rumour that said David Amber would host Wednesday and Saturday. Caroline Cameron would do Monday and regional games. The panel on Wednesday and Saturday would be Elliot and Kevin. The Monday and regional games would be a rotating cast of “experts”.
All of this is a rumor but it wouldn’t surprise me one bit.

July 14, 2023 11:54 am  #3

betaylored wrote:

https://www.mapleleafsinsider.com/Major-changes-coming-to-Hockey-Night-in-Canada-Ron-MacLean-others-reportedly-out-255884
Something to mull over during the off season.

It's long overdue and I'm pretty sure both hockey fans and those in the hockey broadcasting biz can easily think of a couple of people who'd be a terrific fit and who've earned the opportunity.

If the primary source is Howard Berger then take this "insider knowledge" with a huge grain of salt.  Berger's infamous for his "Auston Matthews is easily replaceable" column.

While I do prefer TSN over Sportsnet, Sportsnet host/analysts Ron McLean, Elliotte Friedman,  Jennifer Botterill, Kelly Hrudey & Kevin Bieksa are all decent and a huge step better than predecessors such as Nick Kypreos and Doug MacLean.  And don't forget the past Strombo's experiment.  It was a disaster, not really Strombo's fault, it was the whole framework.

July 14, 2023 3:39 pm  #4

Only three years left on that Rogers deal. It will be interesting to see what happens to the Canadian rights. Can't see Rogers paying that amount again. 

July 14, 2023 3:51 pm  #5

cash wrote:

Only three years left on that Rogers deal. It will be interesting to see what happens to the Canadian rights. Can't see Rogers paying that amount again. 

If they don’t pay that much again I cannot see Bell stepping up. So I wonder if it will be a split rights deal similar to ESPN/TNT in the US. Maybe apple or someone steps up and gets some Canadian rights as well. I truly believe within 5 years or so the biggest sports network maybe a streaming service. Honestly I would watch a sports highlight show on apple over TSN or Sportsnet.

July 14, 2023 3:56 pm  #6

cash wrote:

Or anyone. Brian451 is likely right and it will be spread around through cable/streaming and associated OTA.

July 14, 2023 4:32 pm  #7

This is nonsense. No one is being replaced. Berger is wrong...again.

July 14, 2023 7:04 pm  #8

At the last signing for the Canadian NHL rights, Gary Bettman et al wanted one entity to talk to, not the several deal makers they had previously dealt with. IIRC, Bell thought they had a deal, but Rogers got the nod. The NHL didn't care if the rights holder then made deals with other companies, they just wanted one "face" to deal with. The deal also included current and any future delivery technology.

Personally, while many did and still do deride the deal at $5.2 billion over 12 years ($433.33 per year average), and the revenue wasn't and isn't as good as Rogers projected, I still think it was a good deal. No one else in Canada had anywhere near the hockey games Rogers had and will have for 12 years, blocking out the competition for all 12 years. That said, I won't be surprised if Rogers signs again - or doesn't.

July 15, 2023 6:11 pm  #9

They thought they would put hockey everywhere including platforms targeting women and immigrants.  It turns out they will watch some playoff hockey and that's it.  Women didn't want hockey in Chatelane.

Overall, I think it was it was a good decision.  It took Sportsnet from being the poker, Blue Jays and blacked out hockey channel to being as important, or more so than TSN.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (July 15, 2023 6:11 pm)

July 17, 2023 9:10 pm  #10

https://twitter.com/JShannonhl/status/1681052403368353793?t=4uwJ6gJV9sZmAGeNpRYnrw&s=19

the latest on Ron's HNIC return, from a source more reliable than others mentioned

Last edited by betaylored (July 17, 2023 9:13 pm)

July 18, 2023 7:48 am  #11

Well, that ends that rumour train like a washed out bridge. 

July 18, 2023 10:21 am  #12

mic'em wrote:

Well, that ends that rumour train like a washed out bridge. 

can't expect much more from the desk of Howard "I make sh*t up for the clicks" Berger ..

Last edited by g121 (July 18, 2023 10:21 am)

July 18, 2023 4:10 pm  #13

https://twitter.com/jabo_vancouver/status/1681186572321067008?t=uo-bDKF09riqn79rgx3quA&s=19

I've never seen this clip before, apparently this was the reason Ron MacLean landed the HNIC on-air gig in the first place, it's broadcast gold, right down to the tossing of the pen at the end.

July 18, 2023 6:00 pm  #14

I guess Howard Berger will be staying in the funeral business. 

July 19, 2023 11:31 pm  #15

Another story from Howard that turned out to be a giant nothing berger.

July 20, 2023 8:05 am  #16

betaylored wrote:

https://twitter.com/jabo_vancouver/status/1681186572321067008?t=uo-bDKF09riqn79rgx3quA&s=19

I've never seen this clip before, apparently this was the reason Ron MacLean landed the HNIC on-air gig in the first place, it's broadcast gold, right down to the tossing of the pen at the end.

Wow! Dave Hodge had obviously had quite enough, thank you!

July 20, 2023 3:17 pm  #17

betaylored wrote:

Yes. Good stuff. And there is an entire "Toronto Mike'd" episode (mockumentary) devoted to it:

https://www.torontomike.com/2021/12/the-pen-flip-a-mikeumentary-toronto-miked-podcast-episode-960/

July 20, 2023 3:33 pm  #18

AspectRatio wrote:

betaylored wrote:

Yes. Good stuff. And there is an entire "Toronto Mike'd" episode (mockumentary) devoted to it:

https://www.torontomike.com/2021/12/the-pen-flip-a-mikeumentary-toronto-miked-podcast-episode-960/

can't wait to hear this, thanks AspectRatio 😁