sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 12, 2023 8:42 am  #1

Bob Segarini RIP

Bob Segarini's daughter Amy let folks know that her dad passed away Monday night. I worked with him briefly at Q107 in the mid-2000s, and he was a character. I'm sure many here can talk about his radio days more than I, but I will say that he had a very cool musical career, dating back to his time on the Sunset Strip in the 1960s. I think I'll throw on his album Gotta Have Pop this morning, it's a good one. RIP Iceman. 

July 12, 2023 8:54 am  #2

Re: Bob Segarini RIP

Sad news indeed. RIP Bob. 

July 12, 2023 8:55 am  #3

We keep losing some of the greats. Another sad loss. I wonder if Q107 will pay tribute to him. 

July 12, 2023 4:13 pm  #4

I had a great chat with The Iceman a few years ago... we covered his life as a musician, his transition into radio, his move to television and how he came the write and record the theme to The Edison Twins.

https://www.torontomike.com/2023/07/bob-segarni-dead-at-77/

Rest well, Bob.

July 12, 2023 4:45 pm  #5

It's odd the things you remember about people. Mind you, this was taken from his "Don't Believe Everything I Say" article on Wordpress. 

RIP, Bob. It was quite the ride.

Last edited by Dial Twister (July 12, 2023 5:10 pm)

July 12, 2023 8:25 pm  #6

My memories of longtime friend Bob Segarini will be published tomorrow in FYI Music News.

July 13, 2023 4:08 am  #7

Doug Thompson wrote:

My memories of longtime friend Bob Segarini will be published tomorrow in FYI Music News.

As promised, here's Doug reminiscence of his late friend. 

"Bob Segarini was one talented son-of-a-bitch.

He co-wrote songs with Harry Nilsson for gosh sakes. How cool is that?

He hung out with The Monkees in LA and played squirt gun with them in the lobby of the RCA building on Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood. RCA’s security guards were not amused.

The Grateful Dead asked him to join their merry band. He passed."

July 13, 2023 8:11 am  #8

Saw him several times playing around southern Ontario in the 80's. Gotta Have Pop is a great album. A funny, talented guy. 

July 13, 2023 9:35 am  #9

Thank you SOWNY for letting me know about Bob's passing.  I still wear proudly my, "Don't Believe A Word I say,"  button.  RIP Bob.

August 11, 2023 7:06 am  #10

Obituary is on pg. B15 of print edition of this morning's Globe 'n Mail.    Although one month after the fact, a Brad Wheeler - penned obit is always worth the wait

G.    

August 11, 2023 7:10 am  #11

As Georgio notes, the Globe and Mail has a delayed obituary, but it was worth the wait. Their recap of Segarini's remarkable life includes not only his music but his time in broadcasting, including stints at CHUM-FM, Q-107 and City TV, all of which resulted in his being fired.

There's even a reference to SOWNY member Toronto Mike, whose interview with Bob led to this story:

"Mr. Segarini’s radio career began in the early 1980s, when he was hired to jockey discs at Toronto’s CHUM-FM. He lasted just six months. He was canned for turning what was supposed to be a short interview with Lemmy Kilmister and the band Motörhead into a sprawling, three-hour session that included the playing of old R&B records that were banned from the station’s playlist."

Worth a read even if you weren't a fan. 

Free-spirited musician DJ Bob Segarini became a colourful figure on Toronto rock radio