sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 12, 2023 7:38 am  #1

This Gave Me A Chuckle

Listening to veteran WABC 77 radio newsman Bob Brown a couple of nights ago during his 11 p.m. newscast.

As he was exiting doing the weather he told us it was "77 WABC degrees".

Haven't heard "that" in  a long time

Fun

July 12, 2023 8:57 am  #2

Re: This Gave Me A Chuckle

And who can forget 1050 telling you the current temperature on the Chum-ometer?

July 12, 2023 9:08 am  #3

When reading area temperatures, Mix 99.9 news people would always refer to the city that Hazel built as Mix-issauga. 

July 12, 2023 9:11 am  #4

unclefester wrote:

Listening to veteran WABC 77 radio newsman Bob Brown a couple of nights ago during his 11 p.m. newscast.

As he was exiting doing the weather he told us it was "77 WABC degrees".

Haven't heard "that" in  a long time

Fun

I remember reading somewhere that the competing New York Top 40 stations would NEVER say the temperature as 77 degrees. It was always either 76 or 78. Anything not to give even a random reference to WABC. I often wonder how they handled the song "ABC" by the Jackson 5, which was a huge hit they couldn't ignore.

July 12, 2023 9:51 am  #5

RadioActive wrote:

And who can forget 1050 telling you the current temperature on the Chum-ometer?

There's a chance of rain, so you might want to take a CHUMbrella with you, too!

And when Christmas time rolls around, you can say "Bah, CHUMbug!!!"

(Okay, that last part was mine... )  

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

July 12, 2023 10:04 am  #6

RadioActive wrote:

I remember reading somewhere that the competing New York Top 40 stations would NEVER say the temperature as 77 degrees. It was always either 76 or 78. Anything not to give even a random reference to WABC. I often wonder how they handled the song "ABC" by the Jackson 5, which was a huge hit they couldn't ignore.

I remember when "Tubthumping" by Chumbawamba came out in the late 1990s, Gary Dunford had reported in his Toronto Sun column that announcers at The Mix 99.9 were referring to the group as "Humbawamba" (although I don't remember hearing that), as not to promote that other station down the dial, who would sometimes refer to the group as "CHUM FM-bawamba" (back when they still had the "FM" in their moniker).

Dunford was also wondering whether announcers at The Mix were referring to those little Mexican dogs as "hee-wa-was".  

PJ

Last edited by Paul Jeffries (July 12, 2023 10:16 am)

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

July 12, 2023 11:52 am  #7

When I was a lot younger it was W-A-Beatles-C.

July 12, 2023 2:56 pm  #8

Closer to home the building that was known as the K Rock Centre in Kingston was referred to by the other stations in town as the KRC until it was renamed.