sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 10, 2023 12:20 pm  #1

Rogers TV buyouts

A friend of mine works for the Rogers TV community channel here in our area. 
He told me that he and all other full time employees working the station have been offered voluntary buyouts, and they were very generous.   He has been there more than 20 years and the offer was for 2 years salary.   In most cases it is one year and you have to fight like hell to get more, but anyway.
I wonder if this is the first sign that the Rogers community channels will soon disappear.

July 10, 2023 4:10 pm  #2

Re: Rogers TV buyouts

Just a Radio Fan wrote:

He told me that he and all other full time employees working the station have been offered voluntary buyouts, and they were very generous.   He has been there more than 20 years and the offer was for 2 years salary.   In most cases it is one year and you have to fight like hell to get more, but anyway.
I wonder if this is the first sign that the Rogers community channels will soon disappear.

Are those channels not legally mandated by the CRTC in areas outside the cities that have a Citytv local station?

July 10, 2023 4:19 pm  #3

They could always go the way Telus is doing it for their OptikTV (IPTV) service and have these community programs available on demand or streaming right through the cable box - not through YouTube or a 3rd party app.

July 10, 2023 4:42 pm  #4

ED1 wrote:

They could always go the way Telus is doing it for their OptikTV (IPTV) service and have these community programs available on demand or streaming right through the cable box - not through YouTube or a 3rd party app.

Bell does something similar on Fibe, esp. in Atlantic Canada, and I believe some of Cogeco's "YourTV" channels in Ontario have at least some on-demand programs available on the box.

July 10, 2023 7:44 pm  #5

Just a Radio Fan wrote:

What is your area?