sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 2, 2023 1:16 pm  #1

Kudos To The TSN Broadcast Crew

Hostess Kate Beirness and her analytical panel comprised of Jim Barker. Milt Stegall and Matt Dunigan were working the TSN CFL telecast last night - a game between Montreal and Winnipeg.

Weather issues in Montreal forced fans underneath the stadium stands and forced the TSN crew to fill and fill and fill some more. Kickoff was set for about 7:08 p.m. eastern but the wind and rain meant the game was delayed a full hour and 40 minutes plus. Kickoff came at 8:47.

I will say I watched more of the foursome than I expected to but they were great! Stories and lots of laughs and lots of banter and guy talk (sorry Kate). But she looked comfortable and strikes me as the kind of lady who can both give and take. 

It was a master class in sports broadcasting - live with no place to hide. TSN didn't sub anything for them except the normal spot breaks & a few live interviews with players waiting out the rain delay.  

Thought they deserved a shout out

July 3, 2023 11:33 pm  #2

Re: Kudos To The TSN Broadcast Crew

Virtually all sports channels go to tape or a highlight show instead of doing what TSN did.  Good for them for having such capable talent.

July 3, 2023 11:34 pm  #3

Does it count if no one is watching? 

July 4, 2023 8:04 am  #4

"Master class"? Forgive me if I don't share the hyperbole. What I saw was four people floundering to stay on topic and repeatedly talking over each other in an effort to avoid discussing why the game should have been postponed after a delay of nearly two hours. It was unfair to both the fans and players.

Last night's coverage of the Toronto/BC game was a typical TSN effort. Two guys in the booth, a sideline reporter, and four panelists in the studio. Game calling was competent enough, despite Glen Suitor's rambling off-topic colour commentary, and the lengthy sideline interview with Pinball Clemons and Damon Allen, which was allowed to continue while several key plays unfolded. What I was missing was the insight into other aspects of the game - veteran NFL QB Jim Kelley was in the stands to see his nephew play. Did TSN try to talk to him? Nope. Did TSN prepare any special features to highlight interesting information about players on both sides of the ball, which is typical in NFL and USFL telecasts this year? Nope. The coverage gave the impression of Division 2 U.S. college game on a regional channel with limited resources.

CFL fans have been rightly upset about TSN and Bellmedia's lack of interest in CFL coverage for several years now (see below). It's time the league asked them to step up and treat the game with respect.

https://3downnation.com/2023/07/02/eight-ways-cfl-fans-feel-leadership-is-failing-them/

July 4, 2023 8:49 am  #5

At least the Argos kicked major bew tock. 

July 4, 2023 9:10 am  #6

I don't mind the commentators on TSN during the CFL games.  They seem to get along well together and occasionally the humour is pretty good. But it could be that the crew is coasting and needs to mix it up more.  The broadcasts themselves need some work. I agree with Bowmanville Bob, the TV side needs freshening up.  Little things like more crowd shots, interaction with fans and better bumper music. 

The main camera shot is usually too far away.  Zoom in on the play, you don't need to show so much of the field.  Even on a big screen, the players are too far away.  Basic stuff TSN!

Hopefully next time the broadcast rights come around again, the CFL will be able to split the rights between TSN and CBC.  The league needs some weekly OTA games.  CBC network games would give the league more exposure to potentially more homes than TSN.  Both networks should carry the Grey Cup. Also the league should have one more team.  Ten works better than nine, and Halifax or Quebec City would be the best choice. 

I know some like to make fun of the CFL and have been saying for the last 50 years that the league is dead.  However the facts are they are still here and when we were able to see the ratings for the regular season, occasionally outdrew NFL games in Canada for viewership.  The CFL tends to attract an older and  supposedly less appealing demo, true, but actually and fairly often during the regular season more viewers.  That still counts.      

Last edited by paterson1 (July 4, 2023 9:12 am)

July 5, 2023 2:00 pm  #7

Kate's mix of kibitzing & throwing shade with/at the guys, especially Milt, is epic. Great camaraderie. 

July 5, 2023 11:03 pm  #8

Let's not look at the CBC's coverage through rose colored glasses.  They used far fewer cameras, didn't broadcast any games at all until Labor Day and their biggest personality was Chris Walby, who was more suited to a Rogers or Cogeco highshcool game than a national broadcast.  TSN hasn't changed Friday Night Football because it works well.  The game is the star.  When there's not as much time between plays compared to the NFL and the games are high scoring and competitive you don't need the bells and whistles designed to fill time on NFL broadcasts.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (July 5, 2023 11:10 pm)

July 6, 2023 9:30 am  #9

Gee, I guess I was dreaming when I watched CBC's coverage and saw former players like Khari Jones, James Curry, Ron Lancaster and Darren Flutie providing sideline coverage and insights into the game. Wonder how that happened? As for Walby, he was a fan and player favourite for years and his level of enthusiasm for game stands in stark contrast to the dry robotics of both Suitor and Forde. 

What the CBC brought to the CFL was a commitment to bring the player's stories to the public and help them identify with professional athletes who were still chasing their dreams. I'd say TSN's laziness and lack of competition is the clear reason for it's mediocre production values and lack of innovation. It's certainly not because it "works". 

I'd favour a split schedule with the CBC and TSN splitting game coverage during the summer and both networks covering the Grey Cup. (Yeah, yeah, I know that in 2007 CBC said it would no longer be pursuing professional sports coverage, but that was 16 years ago and a lot of water has gone under the bridge since then). I think the league, fans and players would all benefit from such an approach.

July 6, 2023 10:27 am  #10

The fact that Safeway grocery stores are one of TSN's CFL main sponsors yet they don't have a store location south or east of Thunder Bay, ON is all you need to know about how low the league has sunk as an entertainment choice outside of Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba...it's a 'B' league and Canadians know it...same with the broadcast crew...copying the American panels by trying to be funny and over the top for a no longer ready for prime time product or talent is lame...sadly, the CFL is well past its best before date in markets that matter on a national scale.

July 6, 2023 11:10 am  #11

Yet every time the No Fun League (NFL) has tried to expand into Canada, it's been met largely with indifference. Buffalo Bills games in Toronto only sell out when Rogers papers the joint with cheap tickets and Buffalo fans who make the trek to Toronto. Canadian fans, particularly in Toronto, have been bombarded for years by propaganda from some Bay Street millionaires with media outlets who claim the city won't be "world class" unless we get an NFL franchise. Thankfully, the public didn't take the bait. 

July 7, 2023 12:02 am  #12

Johnny B wrote:

The fact that Safeway grocery stores are one of TSN's CFL main sponsors yet they don't have a store location south or east of Thunder Bay, ON is all you need to know about how low the league has sunk as an entertainment choice outside of Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba...it's a 'B' league and Canadians know it...same with the broadcast crew...copying the American panels by trying to be funny and over the top for a no longer ready for prime time product or talent is lame...sadly, the CFL is well past its best before date in markets that matter on a national scale.

It's not Safeway, it's Save On and it sponsors one feature.  Fan Duel and 7 Eleven are the major sponsors, while Purolator, Coors Light, and OK Tire also sponsor features.  Also, preseason games get 300 000 viewers and the Grey Cup gets 3 million English language viewers.  That's the same as a Leaf playoff game last season.  The CFL is just fine.