sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 30, 2023 2:32 pm  #1

CING Applies For New TX Location

Energy 95.3 is in a quandary - they're broadcasting off the old CHCH tower in Stoney Creek, but Channel 11 is moving to a new location. And they hope to go with it. 

In an application filed Thursday with the CRTC, the Corus station is asking for permission to switch to the new tower in Flamborough. Their parameters or power won't change, there won't be any real interference with an existing adjacent station or one on the same frequency and I'm guessing this is likely to be a rubber stamp. Most listeners aren't expected to tell the difference.

"On August 25, 2022, CHCH advised Corus that it had sold the land on which the tower supporting CING-FM’s antenna is located, and that they would be dismantling that tower by November 2023. As a result, Corus has no choice but to relocate the antenna of CING FM to a new location.

"After reviewing an alternative option of collocating CING-FM with another Corus site in Burlington, we determined that this would have significantly altered CING-FM’s coverage area and was therefore unfeasible. Relocating CING-FM’s antenna to the new tower being constructed by CHCH in Flamborough clearly represents the least disruptive, most cost-effective option."

June 30, 2023 2:35 pm  #2

Re: CING Applies For New TX Location

By the way, I doubt this has anything to do with the application, but I was out in the car this afternoon, trying to listen to AM640 on the CING-FM HD2 subchannel. There was nothing but silence. Same for CHML, which is on HD3. Hope it's just temporary, because I enjoy the better sound. Until then, 640 itself works just fine!

June 30, 2023 4:12 pm  #3

Does anyone know how construction on the new tower is going?

June 30, 2023 5:58 pm  #4

andysradio wrote:

Does anyone know how construction on the new tower is going?

The project is moving along quite well...  concrete pours for tower base and anchors have been completed...  just waiting for the ground to dry off a bit, but tower construction should begin in about a week...