sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 28, 2023 5:04 pm  #1

George Noory's "Coast To Coast" AM Back On Radio In Canada

It's on CKLW, and is being offered by Bell's Orbyt Media in Canada for the first time since it last aired here three years ago.   

"It's great to be back on CKLW - The Big 8," said Noory. "What's even cooler is that this was the first radio station I applied to work at when I was 21 years old living in Detroit. I'm looking forward to working with the team at Orbyt Media to expand Coast to Coast AM across Canada."

''Coast to Coast AM'' Returns to Radio in Canada 

June 28, 2023 6:39 pm  #2

Re: George Noory's "Coast To Coast" AM Back On Radio In Canada

Bell using the Windsor signals to get Detroit syndication clearance for CTC and Bobby Bones.

June 28, 2023 7:34 pm  #3

It used to run on CKTB, which aired rerolls in the evening and then the live show overnight, often accounting for more than eight hours of airtime every day. Since this is Bell and they're only offering reruns in the wee hours now, I wonder if any other of their outlets will get it in markets where other stations won't buy it? Would CFRB ever air this kind of show? 

I was never a fan of C to C, but I suppose it can be argued it's better than the replays they have now. A few nights ago, during that intense rainstorm, my dog woke me in a panic at 3 AM because of the thunder. While I tried to calm him down (an impossible task, by the way) I turned on CFRB and there was Jim Richards and Mark Towhey on a reroll of Monday night's programming, talking about how the "votes were still coming in" for the Toronto Mayoral election and it was a real nail biter to see who would win. 

This, after the entire thing had long been decided. Not sure if anyone at the station actually listens to the stuff they're going to reroll, but that was simply inexcusable. Coast To Coast, at least, would have been live if not local. 

June 28, 2023 7:40 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

It used to run on CKTB, which aired rerolls in the evening and then the live show overnight, often accounting for more than eight hours of airtime every day. Since this is Bell and they're only offering reruns in the wee hours now, I wonder if any other of their outlets will get it in markets where other stations won't buy it? Would CFRB ever air this kind of show? 

They don't have to "buy" it, but rather give up some ad time to the syndicator (Bell).

If Bell were going to put it on any other of their own stations, that would have been announced today, too. Getting enough Canadian stations on board to make this worthwhile will be a challenge.

Last edited by RadioAaron (June 28, 2023 7:41 pm)

June 28, 2023 7:54 pm  #5

How much is the time from midnight-5 AM worth to other stations? Seems like surrendering time to Bell wouldn't hurt them very much. 

June 28, 2023 7:57 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

How much is the time from midnight-5 AM worth to other stations? Seems like surrendering time to Bell wouldn't hurt them very much. 

The ad time for a syndication deal is usually spread across all dayparts, not just within the show itself.

June 29, 2023 12:58 am  #7

RadioAaron wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

The ad time for a syndication deal is usually spread across all dayparts, not just within the show itself.

Orbyt isn't greedy.  I worked at a station where we had to run one spot per week for them at \most and it was during the last break inside the show.

June 29, 2023 4:24 am  #8

RadioActive wrote:

Would CFRB ever air this kind of show?

You might be talking future-state here, so maybe already know this, but 1010 actually carried "Coast to Coast" for a while - starting in January 2018 . I believe this lasted until March 2020 when Jason Agnew's pandemic overnight show debuted and was tried out (and didn't last long). Then it was a Jim Richards overnight iteration of "The Showgram", David Cooper filling in for an extended time during Richards' leave, then rerolls and Richards was earlier, etc.

Also of note - 1010 carried "The Phil Hendrie Show" overnights as an experiment too, in 2010

June 29, 2023 3:57 pm  #9

I used to listen to it and actually enjoyed much of it before it became a show more directed to right wing uneducated boors.

June 29, 2023 4:28 pm  #10

I still listen from time to time, I will call up WJET AM 1400 on the google device, but I really enjoy hitting WOR-AM for John Batchelor's show which airs at 9pm weekdays.  WOR will also roll into CTC late nights I believe.

June 29, 2023 4:33 pm  #11

I'd forgotten CFRB's flirtation with CTC, but I loved Phil Hendrie, way back when he was on WGR Buffalo. The guy was astounding and it's amazing how many people fell for his outrageous "guests" and "topics," all of which were completely phony - and all played by Hendrie himself, even as he hosted the show.   

The first time I ever heard him was on WWWE in Cleveland and I had no idea what the show was about. His "guest" was a grieving father who just lost his son and was supposed to go to the funeral. But it was Super Bowl weekend and he was a huge football fan, with his team in the playoffs. So he decided not to go and stay home and watch the game because it's what his "son" would have wanted. 

The phone calls of outrage began immediately, demanding he attend the last rites for his kid and why didn't he just tape the game? Those who knew Hendrie were in on the joke, but casual listeners (I was a first timer then) were stunned by his reaction. Of course, the entire thing was phony and Hendrie played both host and guest at the same time (he'd turn off his mic and reply into the phone as the dad only to come back on the air as himself when needed.)

It was quite a performance! 

How did he do it? This unrelated video at YouTube shows how high energy and weird it was. Amazing that he rarely made mistake with the mic and the phone swapping.