sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 25, 2023 10:38 am  #1

Triumph

Tomorrow night 8:00-9:40 on Crave

"The story of underdog Canadian rock band Triumph, which rose to stardom in the 1970s and'80s only to disappear at the height of its fame"

June 25, 2023 11:11 am  #2

Re: Triumph

Calhame wrote:

Tomorrow night 8:00-9:40 on Crave

"The story of underdog Canadian rock band Triumph, which rose to stardom in the 1970s and'80s only to disappear at the height of its fame"

I have watched that documentary and sort of forgot how popular Triumph was in the late 70's/80's.  They were even more popular in the US and South America than in Canada. 

In my radio days, played some of their songs and never really liked many of them.  Also didn't understand why they were so well liked.

But watching the documentary I have a new respect for the band and members, and their musicianship.  They were smart, good business people, knew what they wanted to do and had a huge connection to their fans which comes out in the program and lasts to this day. 

June 25, 2023 1:11 pm  #3

I recall the great Kristy Knight dismissing them as 'rah-rah rock'. I was a fan back in the day, but I wouldn't describe them as being 'at their height' of fame when they flamed out. Their last three albums before Emmett left weren't particularly strong and didn't sell well.

June 25, 2023 5:28 pm  #4

My son and I had the opportunity to attend a small event at the Gibson Theater in Alliston some years back featuring Rik Emmett with two other fantastic guitarists, all playing acoustic Spanish type instruments. They called themselves Trifecta, I bought the cd, it is still one of my favorites to play on a road trip. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLi8AaHd_TCNQyPABsvq4ZQ1f9vjbfj-og

June 26, 2023 5:20 pm  #5

I interviewed a good number of musicians and bands in town to perform when I had my Saturday afternoon rock radio show in the 80's and Mike Levine was one of the nicest people. Genuine and intelligent. He answered the questions like he wanted to be there and was also friendly and laid back backstage after the concert as well.

Even though I respected Triumph's work ethic, the killer stage show effects, and the difficulty of being a touring band I wasn't a big fan of most of their songs. I found the lead vocals a bit shrill at times tho the backup Styx-like vocals were solid. Triumph were meat and potatoes straight ahead rock but without the imagination and intense skill of Rush, the catchy chops of April Wine or the frat boy pop hooks of Loverboy. It may be a tad harsh but back then it seemed like Triumph could never pick a lane.

When I eventually give in this summer and get Crave I will definitely watch the Triumph doc. 🎸

Last edited by betaylored (June 26, 2023 5:35 pm)

June 26, 2023 6:28 pm  #6

I remember Levine being the go-to 'rock' guy on that CBC show on Sunday mornings (was it Switchback? I can't remember the name). Gracious and friendly. It's been said that he was the mediating agent that kept Moore and Emmett from killing each other. I'm inclined to believe it.

June 27, 2023 9:17 am  #7

Mike Levine was a contestant on "Wheel of Fortune"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDP9KEBhWpI&pp=ygUcbWlrZSBsZXZpbmUgd2hlZWwgb2YgZm9ydHVuZQ%3D%3D

As mentioned somewhere above, Triumph's stage show was a spectacle and very, very loud (saw it twice). 

I've also had the fortune of seeing Rik Emmett as a sole artist twice in acoustic shows. He's an exceptional guitarist and pretty good singer in a non-arena setting.