sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 14, 2023 8:30 pm  #61

Re: Bell Cuts 1,300, Closes 6 Stns., Including CJBK, Selling CKOC & CHAM

RadioAaron wrote:

Jody Thornton wrote:

I'm wondering if, since Bounce 102.9 is the only station left of the Hamilton cluster, might Bell just consolidate it with the St Catharines stations, and just run it from there as a "Hamilton station".  That way they could move out of the Upper Wentworth building..

Outside of physically moving it, they basically already have. 102.9/97.7/105.7/610 are managed as a cluster.

Well now move the traffic department, which I think runs Bell-wide from Hamilton, and the studios into the White House of Rock, and transfer the lease on Upper Wentworth to whomever buys the AM stations.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

June 14, 2023 8:30 pm  #62

paterson1 wrote:

ED1 wrote:

Does it seem like other media companies have smaller but more frequent waves of layoffs? Bell’s seems to always have massive cuts every couple of years, but the others (Corus, Rogers, CBC etc) have always been incremental ones that occur throughout.

Some news reports have been saying that the 1,300 layoffs represent 6% of the Bell Media staff.  This can't be right since that would mean that Bell Media employed almost 22,000 people.  BCE in total has about 44,500 employees, no way that half are with Bell Media. Other reports have said the layoffs represent 3% of BCE staff which is more accurate. 

CBC/RC at one point had over 10,000 employees back in the 90's.  Today full time and temporary they employ about 6,500.  A big layoff for CBC was in 2012 when they let about 700 people go. 

Bet Corus will be next with some layoffs and maybe some big numbers. 

A lot of media conflates "Bell" and "Bell Media" 

The total layoff number is for "Bell" while 6% is "Bell Media"

June 14, 2023 8:37 pm  #63

Jody Thornton wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Jody Thornton wrote:

I'm wondering if, since Bounce 102.9 is the only station left of the Hamilton cluster, might Bell just consolidate it with the St Catharines stations, and just run it from there as a "Hamilton station".  That way they could move out of the Upper Wentworth building..

Outside of physically moving it, they basically already have. 102.9/97.7/105.7/610 are managed as a cluster.

Well now move the traffic department, which I think runs Bell-wide from Hamilton, and the studios into the White House of Rock, and transfer the lease on Upper Wentworth to whomever buys the AM stations.

Bell seems reluctant to make that final step, I suspect because they'd run afoul of the CRTC. Stations I'm sure they'd love to completely automate in markets like Lindsay, Pembroke, and Brockville have retained a bare-minimum local presence.

(Not to mention that their popular morning guy needs to be in Hamilton for his other gig)

Last edited by RadioAaron (June 14, 2023 8:44 pm)

June 14, 2023 8:58 pm  #64

RadioAaron wrote:

Jody Thornton wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Bell seems reluctant to make that final step, I suspect because they'd run afoul of the CRTC. Stations I'm sure they'd love to completely automate in markets like Lindsay, Pembroke, and Brockville have retained a bare-minimum local presence.

(Not to mention that their popular morning guy needs to be in Hamilton for his other gig)

Bounce's Morning guy Matt Hayes? He was part of the layoffs at CHCH in 2015. He doesn't have another gig.

June 14, 2023 8:58 pm  #65

I  view this as not totally a bad thing, notwithstanding the 1300 layoffs.  To be honest I am surprised this hasn't happened sooner with the closing and selling of the AM stations. Many of the 1300 will get into other fields of employment and likely make more money.  I went through two downsizing layoffs in my career and the second one financially was the best thing that ever happened to me. 

You will see AM stations drop like flies now that this has happened.  Smaller AM stations like CJOY, CHYM CKNX, CFOS, CFCO and others will be planning to move to FM.  The applications are being written as we speak.

Even in larger western markets like Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary someone may apply for the closed AM frequency and then try to convert to the FM band if something is available in those markets. Some may even directly apply for an FM license.  Good opportunity for smaller and medium sized broadcast companies. These companies are not constrained by shareholders and more nimble.   

Radio needs a shake up in this country and this may be the start.  I am actually surprised that more stations haven't been closed in the last few years.  There likely will be more to come.

I don't really blame Bell that much for this.  Some of these stations could have been closed over ten years ago.

June 14, 2023 8:59 pm  #66

RadioActive wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Wait...I missed something here. Why is 610 CKTB still on the air? I thought it wasn't making any money? 

Yes, and they also seem to have left CKLW relatively unscathed. Maybe they will add some London topics to their day-to-day discussions. After all, the "LW" in the calls stands for "London-Windsor."

CKLW only gets a marginal signal into London; it can be received with reasonable quality with a good radio if you can find an area free of RF background noise which is quite difficult these days.

June 14, 2023 9:01 pm  #67

Brad wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Jody Thornton wrote:

Bounce's Morning guy Matt Hayes? He was part of the layoffs at CHCH in 2015. He doesn't have another gig.

Whoops! 

June 14, 2023 9:05 pm  #68

paterson1 wrote:

You will see AM stations drop like flies now that this has happened.  

Yes, the dam has broken. 

AM stations disappearing makes it more difficult for the remaining stations as the band is rendered even more irrelevant.

Add loosened ownership restrictions, of which we haven't yet seen the impact, and it's a perfect storm.

June 14, 2023 9:16 pm  #69

RadioAaron wrote:

In Pembroke, the CHVR-FM (Pure Country 96.7) studios in the east end have a big sign out front promoting CHVR itself, iHeart, and CTV... wondering if TV's usual "Valley" reporter is based there and just sends his finished packages down the line to CJOH. Radio probably doesn't have much more local presence than maybe a morning show... everything else seems to be piped in from Ottawa. Engineering is out of Ottawa, with one guy, a buddy of mine, overseeing the four Ottawa stations (CFGO/CFRA/CJMJ/CKKL), plus Pembroke, and two each in Brockville (CFJR/CJPT) and Kingston (CFLY/CKLC).

June 14, 2023 9:21 pm  #70

Forward Power wrote:

Engineering is out of Ottawa, with one guy, a buddy of mine, overseeing the four Ottawa stations (CFGO/CFRA/CJMJ/CKKL), plus Pembroke, and two each in Brockville (CFJR/CJPT) and Kingston (CFLY/CKLC).

Shon is the absolute best in the biz

June 14, 2023 9:23 pm  #71

For the technical folks here are two pics of the CJBK transmitter shack and 7 of the 8 towers. I took these from the street in 2016.

With 8 towers the transmitter site occupies a rather large parcel of land on White Oak Rd. a couple of miles south of London and the 401. Given CJBK went on the air in the 1960's they probably purchased the land for the site but I cannot confirm that.

London has grown significantly (especially to the south and west) since then. Given the site's proximity and easy access  to the 401 the value of the land is probably considerable.

According to a story in the London Free Press, Bell sold the CJBK studio building (built in the late 70's) in 2021 and consolidated operations at the CFPL TV building. The studio building was located on Wellington Road in London where the it would probably fetch a good buck.

Perhaps the real estate value exceeded the value of the station.

Paterson1 is right, I think we will see more of this. I hope it does not happen to CFOS and CKNX; they are the jewels on the AM band in my opinion.  

June 14, 2023 9:24 pm  #72

CTV Edmonton actually put together a reporter pkg on TSN 1260’s demise. It dipped a bit into the stations history also.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/mobile/video?binId=1.1203428&clipId=2708536&playlistId=null&playlistPageNum=1&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2F

June 14, 2023 9:31 pm  #73

Broodcaster wrote:

If someone like Zoomer Radio purchased CHAM they would get a super strong signal that reaches north and west and could set up a southern Ontario-wide network aimed at folks who still listen to radio.

Just a thought.

It's a great idea.

I don't listen to Zoomer Radio, but from the commercials I've seen on TV in the past, (they have a magazine too, if I'm not mistaken) don't you find it peculiar that a small company like Zoomer Media can successfully run a radio station (they're still on AM740?) While a large company like Bell is laying off employees...again and shutting down radio stations and selling off others?  I'm sure nobody thought about cutting what those white collars at the top are "earning".  Instead, cut, sell and close down.  So sad. 

I've said it before and it still rings true (no pun intended):  Crappy phone companies should not own or operate TV & Radio stations!

June 14, 2023 9:35 pm  #74

RadioAaron wrote:

Shon is the absolute best in the biz

You know it! And my avatar/profile pic here shows the Yamaha 02R mixing console that he had ripped out of a production room at 87 George in 2019... offered it to me gratis instead of sending it to the dumpster along with the four radio stations' huge Studer on-air boards, and the 02R gets its second life in my home studio.

June 14, 2023 9:35 pm  #75

Dave The OTA guy wrote:

Broodcaster wrote:

If someone like Zoomer Radio purchased CHAM they would get a super strong signal that reaches north and west and could set up a southern Ontario-wide network aimed at folks who still listen to radio.

Just a thought.

It's a great idea.

I don't listen to Zoomer Radio, but from the commercials I've seen on TV in the past, (they have a magazine too, if I'm not mistaken) don't you find it peculiar that a small company like Zoomer Media can successfully run a radio station (they're still on AM740?) While a large company like Bell is laying off employees...again and shutting down radio stations and selling off others? I'm sure nobody thought about cutting what those white collars at the top are "earning". Instead, cut, sell and close down. So sad.

I've said it before and it still rings true (no pun intended): Crappy phone companies should not own or operate TV & Radio stations!

Despite it still being on the air, there is no evidence that Zoomer radio is a successful radio station. They have zero ratings in *any* demographic. The whole company makes payroll based on cable fees.

June 14, 2023 9:41 pm  #76

Broodcaster wrote:

Just a thought.

I don't listen to Zoomer Radio, but from the commercials I've seen on TV in the past, (they have a magazine too, if I'm not mistaken) don't you find it peculiar that a small company like Zoomer Media can successfully run a radio station (they're still on AM740?) While a large company like Bell is laying off employees...again and shutting down radio stations and selling off others?  I'm sure nobody thought about cutting what those white collars at the top are "earning" 

I've said it before and it still rings true (no pun intended):  Crappy phone companies should not own or operate TV & Radio stations!

June 14, 2023 10:37 pm  #77

Jody Thornton wrote:

I think the talk outlets that remain on 1010, 610 and 800 will eventually reemerge on FM someday.  That possibility has been discussed here before.

Indeed, it has. But then there's the question - where would 1010 go on FM in Toronto? Which Bell station would give up its current format to take on the newcomer - er, oldcomer? CHUM-FM seems like an untouchable. Maybe Virgin 99.9?

Therein lies the problem. Would they want to abandon a format that rates far higher than CFRB currently does to give it a shot on the other band? Where would you put it in the GTA? There's just no room. 

On a separate subject, I believe this thread has set a one-day record for views and replies on SOWNY. Since it went up at 11:19 AM Wednesday, it has more than 4,200 page views and 76 replies. In a single day! I can't recall another story ever achieving that milestone here. Too bad it had to be for such bad news! 

June 14, 2023 11:47 pm  #78

CTV London reported the story on their 11:00 PM news.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

June 14, 2023 11:52 pm  #79

Yes, that was the second story, I believe, on CTV National News. I honestly didn't think they'd flail themselves on air, but 1,300 jobs lost in any industry is a huge story that even they can't ignore.

Plus, they get to blame the government for not passing Bill C-18 and the CRTC and not their own incompetence for driving their stations into the ground, so it's a win-win for them. 

June 14, 2023 11:53 pm  #80

I don't listen to any of these stations. Most people won't miss them. 

June 15, 2023 12:21 am  #81

I'm quite sure those thrown out of work through no fault of their own will. 

June 15, 2023 12:33 am  #82

It'll never happen but I would love to see the CRTC relieve Bell of the "realities of the broadcast media environment" by revoking some licenses in the affected markets and say no to the next several things they ask the commission for so it can't over extend itself.  After all, this poor suffering company can barely keep the lights on it seems.

June 15, 2023 12:36 am  #83

cash wrote:

I'm sure this statement wasn't meant to read as ridiculously as it does.

June 15, 2023 12:38 am  #84

So, here it is 12:37 AM and they're still playing that recorded message. Will there be some technical person there operating or checking the equipment?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

June 15, 2023 4:17 am  #85

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the CRTC have to approve the shutdown of any radio or TV station? This seems like a case of begging forgiveness instead of asking permission. Although given the way the CRTC handled the Q107 Calgary situation, I'm guessing that's what Bell is banking on.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

June 15, 2023 6:43 am  #86

RadioActive wrote:

Jody Thornton wrote:

I think the talk outlets that remain on 1010, 610 and 800 will eventually reemerge on FM someday.  That possibility has been discussed here before.

Indeed, it has. But then there's the question - where would 1010 go on FM in Toronto? Which Bell station would give up its current format to take on the newcomer - er, oldcomer? CHUM-FM seems like an untouchable. Maybe Virgin 99.9? 

I was thinking it would be 99.9 for Toronto  (they could get some stray CBC Radio One listeners just a wee hair down the dial at 99.1); however I don't think it would be a straight transfer of 1010 to FM.  Perhaps, over a period of time, some Newstalk hosts wouls simulcast on FM or even move to it, while less hours are devoted to CHR on Virgin.  640 did such a thing in the 90s, of course with the intention they were going to be an all news station.  Eventually, you'd have a full-service FMer with talk and lifestyle, plus some music programming.

Just a thought though.  As for 610, could soome of its stronger programming not go on to 102.9?  Very little of CKTB is live any more.

Sad to be typing all of this, but radio is going to have to really reinvent itself to stay relevant to younger people.  Most I speak to are JUST NOT listening.  With FM at least, transmission costs would be less, so you still capture the car audience, all the while attracting younget people to your stream.  AM towers and sites are expensive if you just want listeners to go to your app or stream.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

June 15, 2023 7:26 am  #87

cash wrote:

Duly noted

June 15, 2023 7:34 am  #88

re: "Bell Cuts 1,300, Closes 6 Stns., Including CJBK, Selling CKOC & CHAM"

yet Jerry Agar is still on the air this morning .. are we being punked? .. 

June 15, 2023 10:26 am  #89

A couple of things that were missed or not talked about.  Bell is eliminating 1300 positions, however 30% of these positions were unfilled when the announcement came out.  So about 910 employees were or will be let go.  Also this number includes management, and Bell says 6% of management positions will be cut.  Has anyone heard what number this represents?

June 15, 2023 10:47 am  #90

Among the jobs cut, a number of on-air people at CTV Vancouver Island, and a morning host at CTV Edmonton.