sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

SOWNY » Shannon Bradbury Leaving CTV Kitchener » Yesterday 11:11 am

paterson1
Replies: 2

Go to post

Sort of sounds like she may be moving to another line of work.  Shannon lives in Stratford and did many forecasts from her backyard during COVID. She was very well received after Lindsay departed to Toronto.
 
CTV Kitchener has four or five guys reporting now.  For a long time they seemed to have primarily a female news on air staff.   Will covers the weather from time to time, and they have him out in the field for feature reporting.  He seems to be a bit of a cut up on air and likes to have fun, so he would be suited well for the weather and the live outdoor events when they take the weather on the road.  He seems to do a reasonably competent job with the forecasts the few times I have seen him. 

SOWNY » Survey Shows What Canadians Are Listening To While They're Driving » July 4, 2022 9:04 pm

paterson1
Replies: 6

Go to post

Well, now we are getting somewhere Aaron.  So you are saying that popular streaming options would normally also have great OTA ratings if applicable?  Why does it not work the other way then?

Stingray and iHeartRadio and the RadioPlayer Canada app all feature hundreds of stations, different formats and many stations that have decent, even great ratings.  They are showing up so poorly in this survey because? 

However you also seem to be saying that CBC Music (Listen) shows up reasonably well in the survey because Radio One generally has good ratings. Why does this not apply to Stingray, iHeartRadio and RadioPlayer Canada? 

Interesting that you also think CBC does well because of name recognition.  We keep hearing from so many on here and some politicians, even private broadcasters that CBC is irrelevant and nobody cares about them anymore.

Odd then why they came in fifth in the survey, with little promotion. So people checked the box because they recognized CBC's name?  And some may not in fact have not listened to the CBC app in the previous week but did recognize the name?  And there is little recognition for iHeartRadio, RadioPlayer Canada etc even after years of heavy promotion for their apps on hundreds of radio stations.
 
Also if the survey was referring to CBC Listen, it should have been listed as such and not CBC Music.  Well okay...thanks for clearing up my misguided logic??.....https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons3/whistling.png

SOWNY » Survey Shows What Canadians Are Listening To While They're Driving » July 4, 2022 7:20 pm

paterson1
Replies: 6

Go to post

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Interesting too that with very little promotion, on line CBC Music is not that far behind Apple Music.  CBC Music is very heavy on the cancon non hit and alternative music.  In fact some dayparts they are 100% cancon. 

CBC Music isn't even an app anyomore. It's CBC Listen with dozens of streams, including Radio One. Its success has nothing to do with the music on the former Radio2. Keep trying though.

"It's success has nothing to do with the music on the former Radio2"  What an arrogant statement.  You have no idea if the music has nothing to do with their success.  I only brought it up because the chart referred to them as CBC Music.  The former Radio2 left us four years ago.  And like CBC Listen, the Apple Music app also has a lot of different streams and options included.  

SOWNY » Survey Shows What Canadians Are Listening To While They're Driving » July 4, 2022 6:21 pm

paterson1
Replies: 6

Go to post

Interesting too that with very little promotion, on line CBC Music is not that far behind Apple Music.  CBC Music is very heavy on the cancon non hit and alternative music.  In fact some dayparts they are 100% cancon. 

SOWNY » Why Is The CAB Running This Radio Campaign? » July 4, 2022 8:58 am

paterson1
Replies: 7

Go to post

Tomas Barlow wrote:

They're lobbying for more support for Canadian produced content.  It's far too subtle. If no one here gets it the average listener won't either.

https://cab-acr.ca/policies/creating-a-modern-canadian-broadcasting-sector/

I agree, their support of Canadian content is far too subtle and the CAB is also in support of bill C-11. It is great to have this on the website but you need to advocate to more than just your members.   Odd that up until recently the CAB hasn't had any promos running on their member TV and radio stations.  The current promo, which I haven't heard sounds like it may be too low key.  Other than an op-ed in the Toronto Star written by CAB president Kevin Desjardins, I haven't seen or heard much from them on these topics. 

Michael Geist has been getting most of the press with his one sided comments on C-11.  People like Geist in fact don't want anything to change and really want the internet to be left alone.  But he never says why the five or six conglomerates who control social media should not be regulated.  All the talk about "freedom" and "the internet having no borders" is just a side bar to distract from the real issue of why the the new media is allowed unfettered advantages that other competing media have never had.

The CAB is also correct that the broadcasting act needs to be changed, updated and more flexible.  Again it is too bad that they haven't been seen or heard in newspapers, private radio and television stations across the country explaining their position.  Many Canadians would support them, but if the public isn't aware of where you stand, it becomes pretty hard to gain this support. 

 The CAB has been saying that local TV and radio stations across the country will be going dark in the next three years if the regs and rules don't change and if the internet is continued to be allowed free reign.  I would think that they would be much more concerned and aggressive getting their message ou

SOWNY » Why Is The CAB Running This Radio Campaign? » July 3, 2022 1:12 pm

paterson1
Replies: 7

Go to post

Rune wrote:

Not the lazy route... the cheaper route

I tend to think it is both.  Cheap and lazy often go hand in hand. 

SOWNY » Did CTV London move their weekend news to Windsor? » July 3, 2022 1:06 pm

paterson1
Replies: 18

Go to post

And last weekend the newscast was out of Windsor, the week before that it was separate.  Mon-Friday CTV Windsor and London have separate casts at least for 6pm and usually at 11.  Weekends it seems to be a free for all.  When the NFL fires up again, almost all of the 6pm casts are cancelled on weekends because of the game, even some 11pm depending on the schedule. 

SOWNY » Why Is The CAB Running This Radio Campaign? » July 3, 2022 12:58 pm

paterson1
Replies: 7

Go to post

This is a Hail Mary campaign from the CAB.  The campaign is trying to give the impression that radio is still local and important to communities.  As many have noticed, many private stations are not really that local anymore other than the morning show and sometimes afternoon drive. The need to be local is still there but many private stations opted for the lazy route years ago. 


 



 

SOWNY » BOOM'S Top 100 Canadian Songs Of All Time July 1st » July 1, 2022 6:24 pm

paterson1
Replies: 4

Go to post

BOOM certainly sold this special well, lots of commercials. Rick Mercer had a lot of guests and friends on the show with some interesting stories.  Too bad though that almost all of the songs in the top 100 are selections that the station plays anyway.  Also because of BOOM's format they don't play any music from the past 22 years and are limited to 70-90's.  But having said that it was obvious that a lot of effort went into the production, so congrats 97.3 BOOM. Happy Canada Day! https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons3/cool.png
 

SOWNY » The History Of Radio Ad Jingles Brings One Incredible Surprise » July 1, 2022 5:18 pm

paterson1
Replies: 21

Go to post

A lot of the jingles mentioned above were actually from TV commercials and not so much radio.  One of the great successes for a radio jingle was produced in Toronto.  Pizza Pizza 967-11-11. The jingle has been used by the company for over 40 years and still on the air today.  That is a mark of a successful jingle.  And it was radio that initially made the phone number and Pizza Pizza so well known and very successful. 

SOWNY » Do Private Stations See CBC Radio As A Competitor? » June 30, 2022 10:57 pm

paterson1
Replies: 6

Go to post

Private radio cares most about the advertising dollars.  Since CBC radio doesn't have advertising the privates don't really think of them as a competitor.  Sure CBC competes for ratings, but the advertising dollars trump ratings.  Commercial stations are more than happy to take the advertising money from CBC radio or TV.  And since CBC radio has so limited air time for self promotion, they rely on commercial media to a certain extent to get their name out. 

SOWNY » Virgin Radio's Night's With Myles » June 30, 2022 9:39 pm

paterson1
Replies: 2

Go to post

I really enjoy Virgin Radio's network evening show iHeart Nights With Myles.  Myles is good host and the music is bang on.  Just wondering about the Virgin Montreal and Windsor stations.  Windsor only needs to play 20% cancon and Montreal plays 50% non hit. 

When I have monitored Toronto, Windsor and Montreal they are always playing the same music.  I have noticed that the show does play a lot of non hits or extended or dj mixes of hit songs which would not count as a hit. Virgin Montreal does bail one hour early at 10pm so this would be to play more non hits.  I am thinking that Windsor is playing 35% cancon during this show, not that you could tell anyway.  The program's music is fantastic regardless.  The music sounds similar to what you hear evenings on Ottawa's Hot or Jump! radio. 

SOWNY » Vancouver Station Playing Killing In The Name Since Yesterday Morning » June 30, 2022 7:12 pm

paterson1
Replies: 13

Go to post

And finally a look at Sonic Vancouver's webpage...https://www.sonicradio.ca/2022/06/29/hi-were-sonic/
They certainly celebrate Canada Day in a big way on the coast.

SOWNY » BOOM'S Top 100 Canadian Songs Of All Time July 1st » June 30, 2022 3:57 pm

paterson1
Replies: 4

Go to post

Toronto's BOOM celebrates Canada Day and the countries 155th birthday with the Top 100 Canadian Songs Of All Time.  Listeners have been emailing in their favourites and the station will roll out the top 100 beginning at 10am tomorrow.  This year's broadcast is hosted by funnyman Rick Mercer..
https://media.socastsrm.com/wordpress/wp-content/blogs.dir/2287/files/2022/05/top100-2022-website-boom973.jpg
 

SOWNY » CBC To Launch Free 24 Hr. All News Streaming Channel In The Fall » June 30, 2022 2:31 pm

paterson1
Replies: 10

Go to post

I have actually never watched any of the streaming news channels before.  But there must be a need or opportunity if Global, City and CBC are offering them.  Nice to see that Adrienne Arsenault will be the lone anchor of the National and that Ian Hanomansing will  be the permanent host of Cross Country Check Up, along with his weekend anchoring duties.  I like the way that CBC News Network carries the first hour of CCCU every Sunday.     

SOWNY » The History Of Radio Ad Jingles Brings One Incredible Surprise » June 30, 2022 1:22 pm

paterson1
Replies: 21

Go to post

One of the best jingle companies in the 80's and 90's was Seacoast Sound out of Victoria. They were a division of CFAX radio.  They produced jingles in English, French, Spanish, Japanese and sold them all over the world. They also produced the thematic music for the Calgary Olympics.  There is still a company by the same name in Victoria but I don't think it is affiliated with the original which was sold years ago.  All of the big retailers in that era, The Bay, Eatons, Sears, Canadian Tire, Petro Canada, Thrifty's, Bootlegger all had radio jingles from Seacoast. 

SOWNY » CBC To Launch Free 24 Hr. All News Streaming Channel In The Fall » June 30, 2022 12:59 pm

paterson1
Replies: 10

Go to post

I wonder if CTV News will do the same, or at least refresh their news channel.  

SOWNY » Vancouver Station Playing Killing In The Name Since Yesterday Morning » June 30, 2022 10:01 am

paterson1
Replies: 13

Go to post

Looks like Rogers CKKS- KISS in Vancouver has flipped to an alternative/modern rock format.  The station is now SONIC 104.9.  This is a return to the SONIC brand for the station which they had back in 2011 but with a top 40 format. The music change came at 6am this morning pacific time with the first song Killing in The Name by Rage Against The Machine which the station had been playing for over one day on repeat. 
 
Rogers has a similar alternative station in Edmonton branded as SONIC, which had a 4.2 market share last book and daily cume of 86,600 which made it about the sixth most popular station in Edmonton.  Interesting that KISS had a 4% share in the last book in Vancouver and 140,500 daily listeners.  However Vancouver has a population twice the size of Edmonton. 

SONIC Vancouver already does have a new morning show with Angelia Valiant and her sidekick Andrew. The station has two rebroadcasters in Abbotsford and Chilliwack.

Vancouver has another similar formatted station, CKPK with Pattison radio's The Peak also playing alternative rock.  The Peak struggled in the last rating with a 2.9 share, so there may be some speculation that the station could be ripe for a change. Finally CBC Music with it's AAA music also shows up well in the ratings with a 5.0 share according to Numeris.     

 

SOWNY » Vancouver Station Playing Killing In The Name Since Yesterday Morning » June 29, 2022 6:23 pm

paterson1
Replies: 13

Go to post

Rogers owned Vancouver  KISS FM has been playing only one song- Rage Against The Machine's Killing In The Name  since early yesterday morning.  The station let go their morning team of Kevin and Sonia along with afternoon host Tara Jean Stevens yesterday.  This dramatic move could indicate a big format change is coming up, possibly over the Canada Day weekend. A similar stunt, which has been done by various stations over the years, is picking up some press from around the world. This possibly because of  the choice of a protest song from 1992....  More from the Vancouver Sun..https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/vancouvers-kiss-rage-against-machine-repeat-loop 

SOWNY » CBC judgement call: Roe vs. Wade & the Supreme Court » June 27, 2022 5:23 pm

paterson1
Replies: 35

Go to post

Nicely written RA.  All the best health wise.  I hope that your upcoming hospital stay is a short one and fixes  any health ailments you are experiencing.  https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons3/smile.png

SOWNY » Points Of "Departure:" Global's Long Missing Show Finally Returning » June 27, 2022 9:15 am

paterson1
Replies: 3

Go to post

NBC Peacock is not available anywhere outside of the US.  Only way to see it in all other countries and here is with a VPN with a US server. So the channel in fact is available to Canadians if you have a VPN.  Also Corus has the rights to all Peacock original content. 

SOWNY » Points Of "Departure:" Global's Long Missing Show Finally Returning » June 26, 2022 2:24 pm

paterson1
Replies: 3

Go to post

They have already filmed season 3 for Departure with Eric McCormick joining the cast.  Most filming was in Newfoundland and Toronto.  Wonder if Global is planning to run season 3 early in 2023 or in the spring?  Christopher Plummer had finished all of his scenes for season 2 prior to his passing. 

SOWNY » CBC judgement call: Roe vs. Wade & the Supreme Court » June 24, 2022 10:40 pm

paterson1
Replies: 35

Go to post

Moore's pearl clutching could be referring to our media and a few political parties who play politics with this sensitive topic.  Whenever something like this happens in the US, the predictable reflex of our media and some political parties will be to imply it could happen here too. Even when there is no evidence of this happening, or any momentum to revisit the issue.   RA is correct, some media look for a local angle when there really isn't one.  

Canada's abortion rate has been relatively stable and slightly below the international average.  Rates here are lower than many of our allies and friends like Australia, France, UK, US, New Zealand and Sweden. 

Would I work in radio in the US?  At one point in my life I would have, but it would have been somewhere south where it is warm all year.  Today it would be a no because of my age, some health issues, and the political climate in America.  Also I enjoy where I live. 

In fairness the variety of opportunities in media and most other lines of employment are better and more varied in many areas of the US than Canada. If you have the talent and are willing to work very hard, the sky is the limit, as is the compensation.

We still have lots of opportunities in Ontario and in the west.  Most of the younger generation of Paterson's in my extended family have good paying jobs and are doing very well and all live here. The myth that there are no good jobs for young people is just that.  There are lots of good jobs if you are willing to work and have the education and training or are willing to be trained.

Most of the younger generation in my family are doing much better financially and further ahead than I was at their age.  However they all have real jobs and careers and none are working in media!  Smart kids.. https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons3/shocked.png
   

 

SOWNY » Canadian gov passes bill to CanCon compel Netflix et all » June 24, 2022 9:16 am

paterson1
Replies: 14

Go to post

Sorry my comments boggle your mind but my freedoms of speech and yours are not threatened by Bill C-11.  Freedom is a cornerstone of Canadian society, and most people realize that freedom like anything else is not absolute. You and others may think it is, but this just shows a lack of understanding.

 There are rules, responsibility and maturity that are hand in hand with freedom, and always have been.  Many, including yourself never talk about this or maybe don't agree.  Those protesting in Washington on Jan 6th, a former president, and many in his government also didn't understand this.  The world witnessed the sorry sad results of a great democracy falling apart.  Also witnessed a government who forgot what democracy and freedom is actually about. 

The Emergencies Act, may have been overkill to some, but similar to the former War Measures Act, criticism and hindsight is 20/20.  In both cases it brought a bad situation to an end.  The real question of the government's credibility is not that they used these acts, but if they hadn't.  In both cases the convoy truckers and the terrorists in the FLQ were breaking the law and interfering with the lives and freedom of millions of people.                                    

Most Canadians, whether you or "most ethicists" like it or not, agreed with what the government did.  Many wished the government had been more decisive and brought it in sooner.  It is just certain media organizations that are always yapping about their rights and freedoms and some in the Conservative party that are trying to keep this going.  Get over this please, because Canadians have.

Sorry I don't share your paranoid untrusting faith in government. If you want to live that way, knock yourself out, but leave me out of your world please.   We have good and bad governments and the bad governments tend to lose in elections.

This government, with this leader will not win again.  However it does not mean that EVE

SOWNY » Canadian gov passes bill to CanCon compel Netflix et all » June 23, 2022 10:27 pm

paterson1
Replies: 14

Go to post

The Emergencies Act and Bill C-11 have nothing to do with each other.  Of course the government didn't plan to use the Emergencies Act when it was introduced, no government does. However legally something needs to be on the books in case it is needed.
 
Same with the Emergency Measures Act back in 1970.  Using this act 52 years ago was the single most popular action that the government of the day did and had support from Canadians coast to coast. Also it put an end to the ongoing FLQ crisis. 
   
Recently most Canadians surveyed (66%) agreed with the government using the newer Emergencies Act to clear out the blockade problem in Ottawa.  In fact many wished the government had brought it in sooner.  So trying to tie this into the debate about C-11 is pointless and foolish. Of course Sun/Post Media and a few on here are trying to continue with the outrage on this but most Canadians wisely have moved on, and don't care that the government brought in the act.  There are many more issues that are much more important right now. 

Again all of this hand wringing about C-11 is just a tactic to delay the bill, same as all of these "troubling unanswered questions".  Everyone knows that people who are always whining about their freedom will never have these "unanswered questions" responded to their satisfaction anyway. 

Besides, nothing is cast in stone, if the government is foolish enough to abuse their power or if C-11 isn't workable, the next government or even this one can make amendments or a complete overhaul. The bill is there to try and keep the bad, evil, vile stuff off of the internet not to tell people what they can and can't say on a forum like SOWNY.  This is not that hard to understand, to imply otherwise is just paranoid fear mongering.

Many people against C-11 really want nothing to change with the internet and just let the big six conglomerates continue unregulated, make their billions every year and be accountable to nobody.  That is not free

SOWNY » CBC Radio’s Mandate » June 23, 2022 8:00 am

paterson1
Replies: 6

Go to post

zed wrote:

Tomas Barlow wrote:

I hope it’s okay to open a new thread not specifically about the CRTC decision but about the CBC’s mandate in general.
I have always thought that the job of the CBC should be to have something for everyone but not everything for everyone.
As a middle aged white guy they schedule shows I like for when I listen.
On the morning drive I have Metro Morning and the Current. On my lunch there’s Ontario Today. On the drive home it’s Here and Now, the World at Six and As It Happens.
On the weekend there’s Day 6, the House and Cross County Checkup.
If I need music or more news and talk there are places to get them on the radio in every city and town in Canada.
Now imagine you’re indigenous, or you’re gay, lesbian or trans in any community outside of Toronto. Where would you ever hear a radio show for you other than the CBC?
I don’t think the CBC was ever designed for 9 to 5 listening for any one person. It’s a patchwork of individual shows for different segments of the population.
If a show you like isn’t on when you want it, listen on demand on their app or download their shows as podcasts. You can time shift everything nowadays.

You nailed it Tomas Barlow!!!

Agree 100%.  Well done Tomas!  The the varied programming that CBC Radio One has works very well for them and connects with listeners.  It is not the type of radio that you turn on anytime and expect the same programming.  Most people have their shows they enjoy and listen at that time or rely on the podcasts and as you say then listen when it suits them better.  Good job!

SOWNY » CRTC "Updates" Rules CBC Will Have To Operate Under » June 22, 2022 7:37 pm

paterson1
Replies: 13

Go to post

RadioActive wrote:

Well, for once you and I are in agreement about something concerning the CBC! I also feel this seems like forced political correctness on the part of the CRTC and if left to develop naturally, eventually there will be equal or more importantly balanced representation.

Now it appears they're going to be leaving out certain groups in order to advantage certain others. That's never a good recipe to foster tolerance and understanding. 

As for the CBC's website comments, I will take your word for it, since I almost never look at it. 

Well thanks, for the comment, but it is an assumption to think that the CBC will automatically be leaving out certain groups.  It is up to CBC how they handle and incorporate these new conditions, which I don't think were necessary.

The corporation is already politically correct and does try hard to include all groups which is a very hard thing to do, and still make a program entertaining or believable.  It is not easy to give everyone a voice all the time and have various groups feel they are being listened to, understood, and treated fairly.  But they are a crown corporation supported by tax dollars and this comes with the territory, so it is up to them to make it work.  Judging by their past performance, not sure they necessarily will know how to do this.  Or they will continue to do in such a way that comes across as contrived and pandering. 

To have a rounded view of the CBC you really should look at their website more, and occasionally read the comments and opinion pieces. You will be surprised what they actually put up and what comments are allowed.  I don't read the comments much anymore, sadly many were not that far removed from what FOX news has on their site.  And you also have many comments from the left that are just as biased and ridiculous. So now I tend to look at the content and let the commentators slug it out after the story.  

SOWNY » CRTC "Updates" Rules CBC Will Have To Operate Under » June 22, 2022 6:24 pm

paterson1
Replies: 13

Go to post

Whenever the CBC comes up on cbc.ca there is always a ton of negative comments about the network, this is not new.  Usually in the comments there are many more negative than positive, so this shouldn't  be surprising. CBC is a crown corporation supported largely by taxpayers, so they should be running the complaints and negative comments regarding the network.    Does CTV.ca or Global even allow comments?  And I bet if they did, you would never see anything negative about their programming or about Bell or Corus. 

With all of these new conditions for CBC, I wonder if Sun/Post media will still drone on about the unfair advantage that the network has??  Especially since they never had an unfair advantage in the first place. 

I have noticed that much of CBC's diversity and inclusion in programming over the past few years  seems forced and not the natural progression that it should be. I fear these new conditions on their license will only make the situation more contrived.   Also CBC programming bases too much on what they see in Toronto.  Toronto is not Canada and in some ways does not represent the the rest of the country.  The same way that New York City does not always represent the rest of the US, or Paris doesn't represent the rest of France. 

However I have also noticed this in advertising as well.  This will not be popular for some, but I have seen commercial sets on Canadian network television over the past year where every national commercial had actors of minorities or special interest groups in every spot.

This is the right idea and correct, but the advertising community is pushing it too quickly and it is coming across as not natural, forced and not really representative of where Canada is right now.  Maybe Toronto but not the country as a whole.

A college friend of mine who is originally from the Caribbean, and worked in media, finds it funny that Canadian national TV commercials suddenly have more representation of the black communit

Board footera