sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

Fri Jun 9 9:25 am  #1

Trust in Shilling

Radio listeners are subjected to dozens of ads per day, where radio hosts endorse a service or product.  Whether it's Frank Leo, My Pillow, Magic Windows or home renos, whose endorsement means the most to you?  Or, do you just dismiss them all as phony, paid shills?  Just curious.

Fri Jun 9 11:26 am  #2

Re: Trust in Shilling

Charlie wrote:

Frank Leo, My Pillow, Magic Windows or home renos, whose endorsement means the most to you?  Or, do you just dismiss them all as phony, paid shills?.

Paid shills. Period. I tune them out. Especially, the absurd claims of Frank Leo -- that one is verbose hyperbole and beyond realistic "facts".

If they are irritating enough, I will deliberately make a point of never shopping there. (Tom's, Saul's, all the unemployment lawyers, etc).

Fri Jun 9 11:42 am  #3

I don't believe a word of it, personally.  It's a paid shill.  No more, no less.  No different than an unknown voice doing a spot for a client.

Two instances stick in my mind:

-John Moore did a spot for home improvement people that almost sounded like it was a contractual obligation and he was doing it under threat of legal action.  It was very terse and to the point.  I only heard it once.

-Bill Carroll used to shill frequently on NT1010 for the sleep number bed.  I remember once on his AM640 (Toronto) show talking disparagingly about the sleep number bed being nothing more than a glorified air mattress.  Kind of throws all credibility out the window.  Never mind the spots he did briefly for a GTA car dealership talking their wonderful service when he was living in LA at the time. (I know, we're talking about Bill the shill here.)

I'm always fascinated when an advertiser (Frank Leo, MyPillow, Citrix) decided to advertise across several stations using the same script but using a station's appointed shill du jour.  How does that lend credibility?

Fri Jun 9 11:46 am  #4

Ratings powerhouse AM 640 has a habit of sandwiching an ad for the same sponsor at the start and end point of a cluster. They tend to do this with Jack's various nonsense and them unemployment lawyers.

Fri Jun 9 11:56 am  #5

I'm always fascinated when an advertiser (Frank Leo, MyPillow, Citrix) decided to advertise across several stations using the same script but using a station's appointed shill du jour.  How does that lend credibility?

That's kind of what inspired the original question.  When hosts on different stations read from the exact same script, how can there be any credibility?  How hard would it be for ad departments to write different scripts for different readers?  At least it wouldn't sound so phony and contrived.

Fri Jun 9 12:08 pm  #6

I love when they tag the Leo spot with "that's the realtor I'd use if I was moving". So, what they're saying is they NEVER actually used his services yet. So how do they truly know he is the second coming of Christ like they gush over?

Fri Jun 9 12:11 pm  #7

cGrant wrote:

I love when they tag the Leo spot with "that's the realtor I'd use if I was moving". So, what they're saying is they NEVER actually used his services yet. So how do they truly know he is the second coming of Christ like they gush over?

As much as I enjoy his show, I always wonder about that tag line when Stafford says it, as he has told his listeners a hundred times that he and his family don't own their home, they rent.  Still love his show, though.

Fri Jun 9 12:19 pm  #8

According to the shills, in the time it takes to read this thread, Frank Leo has sold 11 houses, cursed cancer and is walking across Lake Ontario on its surface. Start packing.

Fri Jun 9 1:43 pm  #9

My new favourite (and I use the term loosely) is one that's currently airing on CFRB and features a script that reads something like this:

"This is Ryan Doyle. You've heard about [generic] mortgage firm before, but this time you're hearing it from me!"

Oh well, if it's from YOU, then it must be true. All those other people were full of it. It makes him sound like an arrogant jerk. ('If I lend my great and powerful reputation to it, it must be true!')  

Every time I hear this spot, it makes me think even less of him. 

Fri Jun 9 1:52 pm  #10

RadioActive wrote:

My new favourite (and I use the term loosely) is one that's currently airing on CFRB and features a script that reads something like this:

"This is Ryan Doyle. You've heard about [generic] mortgage firm before, but this time you're hearing it from me!"

Oh well, if it's from YOU, then it must be true. All those other people were full of it. It makes him sound like an arrogant jerk. ('If I lend my great and powerful reputation to it, it must be true!')  

Every time I hear this spot, it makes me think even less of him. 

The kicker in that ad, is in the end, he admits he DIDN'T use the (generic) mortgage firm himself, and warns listeners "Don't make the same mistake I made!"  So, to sum up, he's never used the company, was dumb enough to be taken advantage of by a different company, and expects us to take his word for it.  Sure.

Last edited by Charlie (Fri Jun 9 1:53 pm)

Fri Jun 9 2:01 pm  #11

So, to sum up: there's a growing trend of shills not actually using the product or being a customer of the company. Real credibility.

Maybe if Ryan used the Great and Powerful Frank Leo, he'd have known which mortgage company to use. Oops, Frank just sold another 45 houses and is singlehandedly splitting the atom.

Fri Jun 9 4:22 pm  #12

Newspersons and Talk Show hosts should never be permitted to do endorsements, commercials or have any connection to any sponsor on any radio or TV station.  I've only worked for one station in my entire 55 years that allowed this and when I was an RTNDA member, we openly chastized several members for doing this, including one prominent TV newscaster.  Other suspect programming, the so called "Experts on Call"  shows which really are infomercials.  Many of the callers who phone in raving about the product or service actually have been proven to be employees of the firm paying for the program.  Accepting advertising making claims which have been proven to be false is another failing of some broadcasters.  Dunno if the inheritors of Broadcast Dialog still maintain the articles and columns web pages from the last century but if they're still available, you can read my comments about the most corrupt station for which I ever worked.

Last edited by Mike Cleaver (Fri Jun 9 4:23 pm)

Sat Jun 10 9:13 am  #13

Shills are shills.  Follow the shells.  You still lose.  BAD radio...Tune out factors...DUMB programming...every time.

The less 'Cyber Space' knows about me the better.  As a result I do not use my real name.  I would be willing to use yours' though.  No?  OK then.  So you 'get' it.  We're good.

Sat Jun 10 4:11 pm  #14

Sat Jun 10 5:26 pm  #15

Peter the K wrote:

I don't believe a word of it, personally.  It's a paid shill.  No more, no less.  No different than an unknown voice doing a spot for a client.

Two instances stick in my mind:

-John Moore did a spot for home improvement people that almost sounded like it was a contractual obligation and he was doing it under threat of legal action.  It was very terse and to the point.  I only heard it once.

-Bill Carroll used to shill frequently on NT1010 for the sleep number bed.  I remember once on his AM640 (Toronto)
show talking disparagingly about the sleep number bed being nothing more than a glorified air mattress.  Kind of throws all credibility out the window.  Never mind the spots he did briefly for a GTA car dealership talking their wonderful service when he was living in LA at the time. (I know, we're talking about Bill the shill here.)

Bill's in a class by himself, when it comes to obnoxious shilling.  It's been years, and I still cringe to think of all his drooling over Omni jewellcrafters, and anything to do with Jack's various enterprises.  Sylvie must have a wing of the house full of nothing but assorted diamonds.  King of the Krap-sellers, bar none.

Last edited by Charlie (Sat Jun 10 5:27 pm)

Sat Jun 10 6:06 pm  #16

If the hosts don't read the adverts, then who? Shelley Alexanian? I believe it was a topic here a few weeks ago but the retailers' namesakes - in some cases - aren't any better.  In my experience, 15 seconds after I hear the spot I've forgotten what he or she said. Some are worse than others. Where's my MyPillow?

No Do Overs

Sat Jun 10 8:54 pm  #17

tc143 wrote:

If the hosts don't read the adverts, then who? Shelley Alexanian? I believe it was a topic here a few weeks ago but the retailers' namesakes - in some cases - aren't any better.  In my experience, 15 seconds after I hear the spot I've forgotten what he or she said. Some are worse than others. Where's my MyPillow?

It'll change your life!  Jim Richards and the morning co-hosts on 640 that nobody listens to said so!

Sat Jun 10 10:06 pm  #18

Auto Depot.

Sat Jun 10 11:16 pm  #19

tc143 wrote:

At least Alexanian (Like Korman, Mahalik and Berkovitz) have skin in the game and I would expect them to plug their product.  I know it annoys the hell out of people around here but would it not be better to let them do it than use a station personality to shill for them.

Barring that, there are lots of anonymous voices out there who would happily do them at $400/spot.

Sun Jun 11 8:03 am  #20

Charlie wrote:

tc143 wrote:

It'll change your life!  Jim Richards and the morning co-hosts on 640 that nobody listens to said so!

Right now my bladder is getting me up about 5 am most days, if that pillow can stop that; yeah, that'd by great.

No Do Overs

Sun Jun 11 10:37 am  #21

No do overs?  How about Mulligans?  If not...I'm not golfing with you.  And speaking of golf...and shills... ... ...  [and none of the poop they're shilling works any better than the poop that's already in your bag.  As it turns out...it's the shit holding the replaceable poop that stinks.]

NO shills.  AND no false claims through advertising whatsoever.  Shills don't seem to be held to as high an ethical  standard as they should be.

Last edited by Old Codger (Sun Jun 11 10:38 am)

The less 'Cyber Space' knows about me the better.  As a result I do not use my real name.  I would be willing to use yours' though.  No?  OK then.  So you 'get' it.  We're good.

Sun Jun 11 11:11 am  #22

In reading these posts it seems like these "paid shills" don't work...

I know personally, I begin to tune out...I don't develop any brand loyalty with any of them...so this begs a a few questions...

1. What does research say? Do people shop at these businesses because of this type of advertising? Does the listener/viewer after having seen or heard the ads, decide to go into these businesses? Personally, I would be in tough to go to Oliver's or to Omni...

2. Do advertising tactics and marketing strategies need to change? Is time to do something more compelling, more heart connection, more truth, more story telling approaches to advertising copy and strategy?

3. A quick poll, do any of you buy from those that are doing the paid shills? Yes or No?

4. I also think the consumer is smarter than to believe this type of marketing messaging...and so I circle back to the poll and to question one...does this type of ad work or is it a turn off?

5. What if they scaled back a bit...I know in radio and mass media you have to go long and hard, reach and repetition, but I remember my late mom urging me to clean my room, this went on for my teen years...at first I would listen but soon you'd tune on out...(ok she didn't nag me like that) but the idea is that you begin to tune out after a while and become numb,,,I think the ad world needs a bit of a re-boot...similar ads like the lumber store that got all kinds of press for the "Wall" ad that aired during the Super Bowl to me had a way more impactful result.

As did the Budweiser ad about the immigrant coming to America, with his beer recipe in hand...but being bullied upon arrival...and prior to anyone knowing of his contribution to American society!

I welcome thoughts/comments!

Cheers!

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (Sun Jun 11 11:11 am)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

Sun Jun 11 11:31 am  #23

tc143 wrote:

Charlie wrote:

tc143 wrote:

Right now my bladder is getting me up about 5 am most days, if that pillow can stop that; yeah, that'd by great.

You're in luck!  The same company just came out with 'MyDiaper'!  They're getting some hosts from 740 to voice the ads.  The tag line is 'Change your Diaper, and your Life!"

Sun Jun 11 11:46 am  #24

Charlie wrote:

You're in luck!  The same company just came out with 'MyDiaper'!  They're getting some hosts from 740 to voice the ads.  The tag line is 'Change your Diaper, and your Life!"

Those "My Diaper" people are full of shit.